Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2013 8:24:46 AM EDT
Kind of a cool story that I didn't realize was out there...

Reckless the Marine War Horse statue

Sgt Reckless was a Mongolian mare who joined the United States Marine Corps in 1952, as a pack horse, and was eventually promoted to Staff Sergeant by the Commandant of the Marine Corps.[1] She fought in the Korean War and became a national hero. She served with the Recoilless Rifle Platoon, Anti-Tank Company, 5th Marine Regiment.[2] The Saturday Evening Post and LIFE Magazine both featured her. Originally purchased for $250 by a soldier from a Korean boy who needed money to purchase an artificial leg for his sister. Sgt Reckless made 51 solo trips over a 5 day period in a March 1953 battle[3]. During this battle she resupplied the front lines, from a supply depot, with approximately 10,000 pounds of ammunition and explosives while also taking wounded soldiers off of the front lines. In her service, she was wounded twice and received two purple hearts[4]. She died in May 1968. A plaque still remains in her honor at the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton stables and a statue of her will be dedicated at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in 2013.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I've met a lot of animals I consider braver than most people.  Doesn't take a genius to see animals like Chips, Voytek, or this mare had a warrior's heart.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
What about Sgt Stubby?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I just can't believe her trips were solo.  Put a wounded soldier on her back, she headed for the aid station.  On the trip back she carried ammo.  All by herself, no handler present.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just can't believe her trips were solo.  Put a wounded soldier on her back, she headed for the aid station.  On the trip back she carried ammo.  All by herself, no handler present.
View Quote
That's nuts, especially when you figure on all the artillery and anti-tank fire that must have been taking place the whole time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top