Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 4:30:48 PM EDT

Yes, I know there is a health an fitness section.. but there are people who traffic here in GD that are more qualified to answer this.

Can do you really loose fat without loosing muscle tissue?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
absolutely...

move more...eat less...eat healthy
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I can do not know. Can do I?

[;)]

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Retired Navy..  Go stand in the corner.. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Madmedic..  I am refering to dieting.. loosing major pounds a month..  or is that possible to do and retain muscle..
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, but it's hard.  Takes lots of exercise.  I'm not talking about lifting weights.  Lay off the carbos and sugar and swim, walk, jog or whatever.  You ain't gonna sit on the sofa and not lose muscle mass (Atkins diet).  Your butt needs to be very active...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely.  I am in the process of doing just that.  I personally am doing six cardio workouts a week and three weightlifting sessions, but that's because I don't care to change my diet.  If you cut back on the calories and do four cardio workouts a week while still doing two or three sessions of lifting, you can lose weight and still build muscle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Rik,
If I understood his post correctly, I don't think he wants to build muscle.  He just doesn't want to lose any.  Your formula will add weight to the body albeit in the form of muscle. Maybe I misread his post...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I do alot of weight lifting and tried alot of muscle-sparing diets, and this by far seems to work the best. its known as the C.K.D. diet. Check it out.

[url]http://www.c-k-d.com./[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
After you "Loose" the fat, is it "Loost" for good?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rik,
If I understood his post correctly, I don't think he wants to build muscle.  He just doesn't want to lose any.  Your formula will add weight to the body albeit in the form of muscle. Maybe I misread his post...
View Quote

I don't know...all he asked was "is it possible to lose fat without losing muscle?"  I don't know if he cares about his weight or just the fat, or if he wants to build more muscle.  realist?  Comments?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Rik,
We'll need to wait for "realist" to answer that one...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are asking if it is possible to simply go on a "crash diet", and lose [b]fat[/b], but NOT lose [b]muscle[/b] but [b]WITHOUT EXCERCISE[/b]...then no.
You will start losing muscle BEFORE you lose fat.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#13]

057875..  thank you, for whatever reason, I cant open it now.. I'm having problems with AOL...  another thing I need to shed this month!!  

Railman and Rikwriter

I weigh in at 420..  as an ex weightlifter, I have a lot of muscle. I do not want to lose this..  I will be loosing 15 pounds a month for the next 12 months.  I will do anything I have to, to preserve muscle tissue if this is really possible.  

If it requires working out.. So be it..

If I have to eat earth worms. So be it..

I have designated 2004 for me..  all me.. it's do or die    [red][b]Fat[/b][/red] [50]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not telling you to try this.  I'm discouraging you from it in advance.

Many non-diabetics have used insulin as a weight loss tool. Some of them also went to bed and never woke up or worse did wake up with severe brain damage.

Saw a story on a Diabetes site, a diabetic was talking to friend at the gym.  In the locker room after their workouts the diabetic see's his buddy give himself in insulin injection.  He said "I didn't know you were a diabetic."
Buddy say's "I'm not, I use it to burn fat faster."  Then tells him about how tired he gets after the shots.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Thats a pretty synister story you have there..[:)]

If I have to build muscle while loosing fat to keep what I have, I dont have a problem with that.   Maybe I should look into injecting HGH again.. been over 4 years [:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Realist,
I'm not a doctor nor do I know your condition.  I would recommend an immediate weight loss.  Fuck the muscle loss, lose weight now!  Don't lift weights.  Lay off the carbos and sugar and walk.  Get your ass on the pavement and walk.  Go slow at first and increase your walks as time passes.  Go high on protein and very low on carbos and sugar.  See your doctor before you do anything.  Good luck bro...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I weigh in at 420..
View Quote

Wellll, if you're 8 foot 4, that's perfect!
(Just trying to be positive here...)
Seriously, I would reccommend seeing a doctor...to lose as much weight as you're going to try to do, you need a doctor's guidance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After you "Loose" the fat, is it "Loost" for good?
View Quote

What I assumed he meant, was that he wants to "loosen" the fat up a bit, without loosening up the muscle.  So, I would recommend one of those things where you put the strap around your ass and you lean back against it, while it vibrates vigorously back and forth (I have no idea what those are called). I think that will "loosen" it up a bit, *BUT* - make sure and keep your butt flexed so your muscle doesn't loosen up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Walk everyday, swim everyday. Do as much as you are able and increase as your endurance increases. Eventually advance to jogging and biking also.
You can incorporate weights when you get your weight down quite a bit but I would work more on aerobics.

Diet: Veggies are your friend. Small portions of meat and keep the carbs low. we already talked about how many calories are in fat. Take a good multivitamin daily with one of your meals and I would recommend that this is with a meal with a small amount of fat as some vitamins (ASo keep at it and be in it for the long haul. It is a [b]lifestyle change[/b], not a "diet". diets are temporary and do not solve the problem.

Your concern about losing muscle is unwarranted , and to be honest, inconsequential.

Definitely see a doc to get checked out but you need to excercise no matter what. He may direct you towards a nutritionist and you need a cardiovascular and orthopedic exam. No big deal. Just get checked out. The risks for you to not excercise and lose weight are FAR greater than not to at this point. No doc is going to tell you not to workout unless you need immediate medical or surgical care. If you have no current health problems you can start working out in moderation until you get checked out. If you have joint pain in the hips, knees, ankles, back with excercise you may start in a pool to relieve some of the impact on your jointsYou have to work to push yourself against the resistance of the water more and you should provide plenty of resistance! Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Thank you DR. Jarhead.. Your posts have been most useful.  Nice to have someone on Board as yourself..

Rik writer..  I'm 6'2" .. I was once 245 buffed years ago.. at 45 it's catching up with me..

Railman44..   thank you too for your input

I know you all say fuck the muscle.. but I cant.  No Doctor is in my near future. I am on my own here for reasons of my own.  My blood pressure is 134 over 88 constant...

I am not diabetic and my health is good except for heel spurs and the inflammation that accompanies it. Oh and a numb right frontal thigh that tingles and burns ..it started as an apple sized area above the knee in 1985 now it's the whole thigh...  doctors said after an ultra sound 10 years ago, that there wasn't anything showing..  And was probably pinched nerve in my back.  Anyone else ever hear of this problem?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't have anything very useful to add after drjarhead's post, except that swimming is probably your best bet if you have heal spurs.  It's great for strength building and toning, and is a great cardio workout.  Whatever you do, do it safely and take it easy at first.

Good luck, and stick with it!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes!!! If you burn the carbohydrates working out with weights the Carbs get burned building muscle!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thank you DR. Jarhead.. Your posts have been most useful.  Nice to have someone on Board as yourself..
View Quote

You are entirely welcome.

And was probably pinched nerve in my back.  Anyone else ever hear of this problem?  
View Quote

Given the description I would concur with some type of nerve impingement though the nerve involved and the location of the impingement are tough to pin down. Where Exactly are your symptoms? Exactly?
Do you have any sensation or a complete dficit?
Any loss of muscle tone vs the other thigh. Any weakness anywhere in the leg? Do you drag a foot a little, etc?
Do you have back pain?

Since you don't mention any back pain I would be suspicious you have an impingement of the sensory nerve in the inguinal or femoral region of the thigh. You're carrying alot of weight and that has more health risks by far than most people are aware of.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]
057875.. thank you, for whatever reason, I cant open it now.. I'm having problems with AOL... another thing I need to shed this month!!

Railman and Rikwriter

I weigh in at 420.. as an ex weightlifter, I have a lot of muscle. I do not want to lose this.. I will be loosing 15 pounds a month for the next 12 months. I will do anything I have to, to preserve muscle tissue if this is really possible.
View Quote

your welcome. I am 5'8" at 270 lbs but as of right now I only have about 15% bodyfat, which is not too bad concidering my weight to height ratio. As I'm sure you know, weight lifting is good for CONSISTANTLY burning off fat because of the added (preserved) muscle and increased metabolism. Add lifting to 30 minutes of cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach and low-carb diet, such as the CKD, you will get great results. About 1 yr ago I did this exact routine and lost 45 lbs of in 2 months, and my strength stayed about the same.  The important thing is to do your 24hr-48hr refeeds with the CKD diet (take in alot of carbs to fuel your workout for the week to come), if you dont, you will be dragging ass BAD!  I included another useful link if or when your able to check it out. Good luck to ya.

[url]http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petrizzi/fitness/ckdcalc.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#25]

052875, thanks for the second website, I was able to get in to the other one early this morning and put it in favorites.. It looks pretty good, I'll look it over tonight  [:)]

DR Jarhead,  

The symptoms start exactly above the kneecap on the right leg and span upward/outward the whole frontal thigh leaning more to the outside frontal thigh..  Now that you ask,  when probing with my fingers, the most sensitive area would be 6 inches up from the knee cap at then 6 inches towards the side. There are also noticeable blue veins from that thigh, slightly varicose. It never used to, but at times it burns.. No foot dragging, no weakness in the leg..  But I come unglued if I get bumped in that thigh..  No back pain. This started back in 1985 or so..  back when I wasn't heavy.   Thanks  [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top