Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 7:56:40 AM EDT
I went to cash a payroll check from my work at the bank where my work has an account.  Had tons of ID, evrything valid and they just flat out said I cannot cash their check at all. I had to either open an account there or I had to deposit it at my own bank.

I got pissed, asked to speak to a manager. Manager comes out, refuses to cash the check and states its policy not to cash checks anymore. WHAT THE HELL? I walked out all pissed off and have to run to my own bank tomorrow morning to deposit it.

Is this legal? Whats the purpose of a check if I cant get it cashed there. Are there any insiders that know the laws?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#1]
happened to me also ..

the reason they gave me is they had the a limit on the amount they could cash with out an act..

called the national 800 #.. same answer
'
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#2]
They can do what they want to.  Sorry, dude.  Try an ATM, perhaps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't  think it's a law but the bank I go to won't cash a check unless you have a account  with them. Its  the policy of the bank. But if the check is drawn from the bank you went to. That doesn't make any sense they should have cashed it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Well there is limits to what each bank will cash a check for, it depends if you have an account there or not, if you don't that limit is lowered. But since it was on their bank they should have cashed it with proper ID, they know the funds are in there or not. I would talk to your company and tell them what happened, maybe a small threat from them pulling their account would help things out. Most of the time if a company calls and tells them to cash the checks they will do it. As far as legal, if it is the banks policy then they have to abide by it, otherwise .gov will get after the bank if they find out about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to know the legal aspect of this too.  If you look at the check it says "Pay to the order of xxxxxx" with the banks name on it.  Seems like the bank has to honor the payment order (check)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Its BS if it is a check drawn from their own bank......I'd be pissed too....I mean, what is the difference between you walking into the bank to cash it, and you depositing it in YOUR bank, and them sending it in for re-imbursement? I mean the bank still has to pay it out. (ETA, other than the float factor of course, where they get to collect interest on it a few more days by NOT cashing it....)

Sounds like a bunch of scumbags...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#8]
My bank would only not cash a check I wrote ONE time.

After that they would not be my bank........talk to your employer. They have the power to fix this.

EDIT, If you as a business owner are dealing with a bank that refuses to cash a check you issued, you really need to find a new bank. This makes your company look bad IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless you have an account there, they don't have to cash it. Also, if you do have an account there, but the check is for more than is in your account, they don't have to cash it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unless you have an account there, they don't have to cash it. Also, if you do have an account there, but the check is for more than is in your account, they don't have to cash it.

If it is a check drawn from an account they service, they should have to cash it.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Tell your employer what happened.  Let them try to get it straightened out with the bank or pay you in cash.  If you can't get the check cashed, it's worthless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Basically, the comments above cover it:  the bank can do what it wants.  I had no idea this was becoming a problem.  Sometimes I taqke a check from someone for, say, a garage sale item, etc., and then go to their bank to cash it.  I'll have to keep these developments in mind.

How to combat this?  If you get checks regularly, which are drawn on an uncooperative bank, demand cash and tell the person or organization why. Either they will make arrangements with the bank in question (many companies issuing payroll checks make such an arrangement with the closest branch of their bank), or may change banks themselves if it starts to become a problem.  That will change things in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Let us all know the name of the bank!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah that's weird.

One time back when I was stupid enough to have an account at B of A they refused to cash one of my pay checks because there had been "too much activity in my savings account" WTF? I even argued with the manager that I had an account there and had been cashing my pay check there every two weeks for the past several years. They still wouldn't budge. I told them I watch them cashing illegal aliens pay checks all the time when they don't even have accounts or valid I.D. They still wouldn't budge.

I told them to fuck off and now use Wells Fargo.

Bank of America should change their name to BOFIA ( Bank of Filthy Illegal Aliens.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sun Trust Bank
Greater Washington
901 N. Glebe Rd.
Arlington, VA 22203

<Personal information removed.  If you want to post the phone number of the bank itself, that is fine, but--5.) Posting of someone else's personal contact information (home phone numbers, home addresses, unpublished e-mail addresses, and the like).  --tbk1>

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sun Trust Bank
Greater Washington
901 N. Glebe Rd.
Arlington, VA 22203

Branch manager: .

I already don't trust the Branch Manager.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Something to remember, there is a Fed. Feserve Bank in NO. Greenbacks might be in short supply as the other reserves pick up it's slack. Just a wild-ass guess.

Also, as others have said, it common, and most with the policy will have posted signs stating so, to not cash your check unless you have an account with them. A place I used to work had an agreement with 1 particular branch of Bank One, where they had a major cash account,  for check cashing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Branch manager: .

WTF kind of name is that? Maybe an Al Queda undercover operative
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh no There's a Tyranny sneaking up on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no plroblem, just cash the check at your bank.  If you don't have a bank account then get one or pay 1% to have it cashed.  Banks are businesses that provide lending services to customers.  Having accounts is how they get the money to lend to make more money.  Even if the check is from that bank, if you are not puting it in the bank they are wasting time that could be used to tend to customers for an even transaction that actually costs them in productivity.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I can understand if you get a check issued from Bob's Bank and try to cash it at First National Bank where you don't have an account, that they might refuse it.

But if you have a check issued from an account at Bob's Bank, why should Bob's Bank not be required to honor it?  It's a check written on one of their accounts.  If they refuse to honor the check, then the check has no monetary value.

If you sold me a car, and I wrote you an IOU for $5000, but then I later refused to "honor" the IOU, I'd be arrested.  I don't see how a bank can legally do that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Supposedly there was someone here a bank pulled that on. Rumor has it he went to the bank Sat afternoon (they had closed at noon) and shot Liquid Steel in all the door locks. Caused quite a stir Monday am.
Fortunately I use a small bank here and know the prez. If he tried that I would quit dropping off the golf balls my Boykin picks up off the golf course on our walks. It would cost him a fortune.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#23]
ericthe hun, you being a lawyerly type, can an employee refuse to accept a "paycheck" if that companies bank will not cash it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I cashed an escrow check once for $20K at the bank it was drawn on.  Took a while but they gave me $10K in cash and the rest in cashiers check.  This was in 1980.  Probably wouldn't happen today.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I can understand if you get a check issued from Bob's Bank and try to cash it at First National Bank where you don't have an account, that they might refuse it.

But if you have a check issued from an account at Bob's Bank, why should Bob's Bank not be required to honor it?  It's a check written on one of their accounts.  If they refuse to honor the check, then the check has no monetary value.

If you sold me a car, and I wrote you an IOU for $5000, but then I later refused to "honor" the IOU, I'd be arrested.  I don't see how a bank can legally do that.

Thats exactly how I see it. I dont understand why other people say its ok to not honor your own bank check. To me a check = IOU. By refusing to cash that check, you're refusing me my money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Exactly, I can't believe a bank wouldn't be required to cash its own check...if they won't do that what is to stop them from one day just saying, nope we aren't cashing anymore checks from anyone....ALL YOUR CASH BELONG TO US!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#28]
A ~$1k check we wrote to BellSouth was cashed for just over $10k, and we bounced a couple of paychecks before we noticed the check clearinghouse's error.  Since then our bank won't cash our paychecks for our employees.  Your employer could have an issue like that one with their bank.

Because of this problem, I have to go to the bank each Friday to withdraw more money than I'm comfortable with carrying for payroll for the several employees that want cash.  Since this state isn't shall issue and I don't have any friends in high enough places to get the state police's permission to carry, I'm stuck doing this unarmed.  The bank and my office are in bad neighborhoods, and if there are no available vehicles at work, I have to walk.  Since I've had the CCW class here in SC, it is a felony for me to carry without the state police's permission.  I'd lose the right to own guns forever.  I'm too old for this crap.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top