User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2010 5:33:32 PM EDT

Anyone recognize this logo?

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I got nothin. Just curious why are you asking?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's for sale by a co-worker's wife.  She bought it while working part-time for a department and now that she's full-time she feels the vest is too big and wants to sell it (she already bought a new vest).  That's the story anyway.  I need to know the maker before I decide to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's for sale by a co-worker's wife.  She bought it while working part-time for a department and now that she's full-time she feels the vest is too big and wants to sell it (she already bought a new vest).  That's the story anyway.  I need to know the maker before I decide to buy it.

I wouldn't trust anything that's used. There's an expiration date on that for a reason. Most agencies replace armor every 2 to 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking but not finding anything.  Is there anything else on the vest?  Can you take one of the panels out and read what is on it?  They should be removable for cleaning.

ETA:

Never mind, per the tag, it isn't removable.  First one I have seen like that.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's from a company called 'Worldwide body armor'....
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I JUST SAW THAT LOGO SOMEWHERE! And I can't remember where.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I just found them.

http://www.hawkprotection.com/home.htm

Download their informational PDF and you will see the same logo.

http://www.hawkprotection.com/pdfs/Hawk_Armor_web.pdf
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just found them.

http://www.hawkprotection.com/home.htm

Download their informational PDF and you will see the same logo.

http://www.hawkprotection.com/pdfs/Hawk_Armor_web.pdf

Thank you.  I'll take a look.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is the only IIIA concealable they offer.  No pictures though, which is odd.

http://www.hawkprotection.com/nij_level3a.htm
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is the only IIIA concealable they offer.  No pictures though, which is odd.

Yeah, that's odd.  

Do you know if the date is of manufacture?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Weyland Yutani Corp?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's odd.  

Yes, that should be the date it was manufactured.  They mark them for warranty reasons.  I can't remember how long most companies warranty soft body armor.  They don't go bad unless you subject them to extreme conditions, like being left in the trunk in the summer for long periods.

The exception is the Second Chance vests made a while back that the material degraded for some reason.  I can't remember what the name of the material was or why it degraded though.

My old department used to shoot twenty year old vests and they held up fine.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#14]
WhattaBurger?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's odd.  

Yes, that should be the date it was manufactured.  They mark them for warranty reasons.  I can't remember how long most companies warranty soft body armor.  They don't go bad unless you subject them to extreme conditions, like being left in the trunk in the summer for long periods.

The exception is the Second Chance vests made a while back that the material degraded for some reason.  I can't remember what the name of the material was or why it degraded though.

I looked at the pdf.  I wish the logos matched more.  

She's asking $300.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#16]
that should be the date it was manufactured.  They mark them for warranty reasons. I can't remember how long most companies warranty soft body armor.  They don't go bad unless you subject them to extreme conditions, like being left in the trunk in the summer for long periods.

My old department used to shoot twenty year old vests and they held up fine

5 years is industry standard.  The name escapes me, but it had to do with moisture maybe it was tylon?

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's odd.  

She's asking $300.

Are you buying it to use it? or just to have it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Weyland Yutani Corp?

I prefer Tyrell Corp. gear, but WY is a close second.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

[quotees, that should be the date it was manufactured.  They mark them for warranty reasons. I can't remember how long most companies warranty soft body armor.  They don't go bad unless you subject them to extreme conditions, like being left in the trunk in the summer for long periods.

5 years is industry standard.  The name escapes me, but it had to do with moisture maybe it was tylon?

[/quote]

I just did another search and it was called Zylon.  It does look like moisture was the problem.  Kind stupid consider how much you sweat in it.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#20]
The army keeps soft kevlar and ceramic plates that have been through the toughest conditions known to man for quite a long time and I've never heard of an "expiration" on our body armour.

just sayin.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's odd.  

She's asking $300.
It looks very close, but the bird is facing the wrong way in the ad.  Why not send a copy of the picture to the company and ask them if it is one of their products?

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The army keeps soft kevlar and ceramic plates that have been through the toughest conditions known to man for quite a long time and I've never heard of an "expiration" on our body armour.

just sayin.

It is just a CYA thing due to litigation in the civilian world.  It really doesn't go bad unless you really, really work at it.  The exception was the Second Chance stuff mentioned above.  I am pretty sure my vest is expired, but I am not worried in the least.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's odd.  

She's asking $300.

Are you buying it to use it? or just to have it?

Have it.  

I would like IIIA and this just fell in my lap.  I tried it on and it fits.  $300 is a little steep for used even though it's barely been worn and is from 2008.  I'm just trying to get a sense if it's worth, say, $250.  I have to put my money somewhere and I've covered all the other bases.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's odd.  

She's asking $300.
It looks very close, but the bird is facing the wrong way in the ad.  Why not send a copy of the picture to the company and ask them if it is one of their products?

Brilliant!  I honestly would not have thought of that.  The owner of the vest is also going to look for her receipt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Check around on Ebay(yes, they sell armor there)  and see what a comparable vest goes for.  Also check bulletproofme.com.  I think that is the name.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
that should be the date it was manufactured.  They mark them for warranty reasons. I can't remember how long most companies warranty soft body armor.  They don't go bad unless you subject them to extreme conditions, like being left in the trunk in the summer for long periods.

My old department used to shoot twenty year old vests and they held up fine

The material was zylon, which was found to degrade at an accelerated rate under normal wear conditions.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#29]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#30]
BTT

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust anything that's used. There's an expiration date on that for a reason. Most agencies replace armor every 2 to 3 years.

That's all bullshit / liability-ass-covering, btw.  To a great degree, anyway. Do some research on it, instead of propagating that BS.

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Weyland Yutani Corp?

Not for another couple hundred years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

packinheavy,

I sent the company an email but haven't heard back yet.

I'll update when I hear from them.  It probably won't be before Monday.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all bullshit / liability-ass-covering, btw.  To a great degree, anyway. Do some research on it, instead of propagating that BS.

This.

I've heard reliable stories from inside the industry of body armor over 15 years old, that had been worn for a full 5-year lifespan, then thrown in a garage for a decade and a half, still passing the standard shoot tests.  Second Chance bullshit aside, presuming you don't store your old body armor inside a washing machine, it's almost certainly still effective.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is the only IIIA concealable they offer. No pictures though, which is odd.

packinheavy,

I sent the company an email but haven't heard back yet.

I'll update when I hear from them. It probably won't be before Monday.
Good luck!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#36]
For the $300 she is asking you can get a new one for that at Galls, ect..and you make sure you get the right size.

Also Ive seen used vests at kieslers police supply online, in many sizes second chance brand for $49..For as uncomfortable as Body armor is, spend the extra and buy a good and "most" comfortable vest otherwise you will not wear it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's one like you're looking at for sale NEW on E-Bay for $325.00
Has a big long description about the company and materials that it's made from. I've seen "Roundyface" selling these on E-bay for a few years now.
The company is in China and I'm not sure if their testing standards are the same as ours but it does look pretty good if they are.
Bullet proof vest
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here's one for sale NEW on E-Bay for $325.00
Has a big long description about the company and materials that it's made from.
The company is in China and I'm not sure if their testing standards are the same as ours but it does look pretty good if they are.
Bullet proof vest

A chinese bullet-resistant vest. What could possibly go wrong with that?
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldn't buy or use a concealable vest that did not allow you to remove the carrier and panels for cleaning.

Vests get pretty funky.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy or use a concealable vest that did not allow you to remove the carrier and panels for cleaning.

Vests get pretty funky.

Thanks guys for the additional input.

I was looking at Galls and specifically the Point Blank SE Body Armor Threat Level IIIA - NIJ# CIIIA  vest.  What do you guys think?:

http://www.galls.com/google/style.html?assort=general_catalog&cat=&style=BP449
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For the $300 she is asking you can get a new one for that at Galls, ect..and you make sure you get the right size.

Also Ive seen used vests at kieslers police supply online, in many sizes second chance brand for $49..For as uncomfortable as Body armor is, spend the extra and buy a good and "most" comfortable vest otherwise you will not wear it.

Galls was selling a IIIa vest for under $200 a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Galls was selling a IIIa vest for under $200 a year or two ago.

You don't happen to remember the brand?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top