Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 11:49:53 AM EDT
Coworker needs a satellite phone in next couple weeks for approx 25 days.
I have started searching the net.
Has anyone done this and can recommend a company or service, etc...?
Thank you.

Anything important I should know to avoid, or do ahead of time.

Travel to Scotland and France approx Sept 26-Oct 17.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to use a GSM phone and a pre-paid SIM card for Scotland and France. If this is for company business, tell your company to get their act together and have a GSM phone for this purpose.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I just looked into this and found it would be cheaper to buy a used phone on ebay then to rent one.  As a  
plus you cna just resell the phone when you get back.  The sat phone used prepaid sim cards also.  In the end I went with prepaid  calling cards.  Much easyer and much cheaper.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Why a sat phone?  cellular coverage for France and Scotland is probably total or close to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why a sat phone?  cellular coverage for France and Scotland is probably total or close to it.

Sure is!

My Nokia Cell Phone has 'GSM Global Roaming' and I get total coverage throughout the UK (Scotland)  and all mainland Europe…
My son uses his UK GSM cell phone when he's in the States without any trouble.

Linky…

www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I just spent 3 months in europe,,,,we rented local cell phones, they worked in every country in europe and we had zero problems in France, Germany, England, Norway and Italy.  Called from place to place all the time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a triband phone see if your provider will unlock the phone.  You can get simcards for the european county's you will need before you go over if the phone is unlocked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top