Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 10:00:09 AM EDT
Apart from the sheer idiocy of the argument if you were part of a cartel would you pick a semi auto ar15 coming from the US that stands a good chance of being nabbed before it makes it.....Or a select fire weapon from central or south america or coming in from another country..... I just don't see it adding up there.

I'm sure Mr Chavez would have no issues doing a few deals?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I wondered about that too, it seems they would get a much better deal on the good stuff, and there would be plenty of eager arms dealers out there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Its lies and bullshit to get guns banned, proceed accordingly
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#3]
It's probably easier to get them here.

I dunno but what I do know is that it's pretty tough to argue that there are not a shit ton of guns flowing into Mexico from the United States. Look at the pictures of guns found after the various shoot outs. Sks's with Ram Line folding stocks, WASR and thumbhole AK's etc......those guns come from here and there is no denying it.

For the record, I don't give a shit about it but I acknowledge reality.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Um, because that's probably what the local police had –– before the corrupt cop sold it to the narco.

You gotta realize there's a very thin line between the cops and the narcos in Mexico.  If the local or state PD buys 100 Bushmasters, at least 50 of them will end up in the local drug gang's arsenal by the end of the month.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#5]
They buy what's availible.  There is no denying at least some of the guns are coming from north of the border.  If they can smuggle tons of marijuana north of the border smuggling a few pick up loads of guns south of the border is child's play.  

I would not want to be an FFL in the border states.  ATFE has to be breathing down their necks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#7]
They know that by buying totally legal US guns, they provide fuel for gun banners, who provide fuel for liberals, who erode our national defense and law enforcement, thus growing long-term market opportunities in the US for new narcoterror alliances.

Okay, maybe that's a bit too conspiratorial, but it makes substantially more sense than the left's argument that the loose guns of our wild west have ruined Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's probably easier to get them here.

I dunno but what I do know is that it's pretty tough to argue that there are not a shit ton of guns flowing into Mexico from the United States. Look at the pictures of guns found after the various shoot outs. Sks's with Ram Line folding stocks, WASR and thumbhole AK's etc......those guns come from here and there is no denying it.

For the record, I don't give a shit about it but I acknowledge reality.

I don't doubt it either, how many are stolen, or straw purchases? Paying US prices is where it doesn't make sense to me. Once across the border, I'm sure they don't hesitate to modify them though. Seal the border, it's the answer to so many problems, yet it's treated like its the nuclear option.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Better customer service and more accessories in the CTD and TAPCO catalogues?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, Mexicos southern border is defended right?  It's not like select fire is the end all be all....nice option but semi auto what the selector lever will be pointing too in a fight most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Good question.  My guess is it's just easier due to the numbers.  Not a lot of countries below Mexico have a private citizenship that enjoys guns anywhere near our level.  

Plus, it's easier because of the gun show loophole.*

*gun show loophole can also be used to buy tax free first edition beanie babies and beef jerky made from endangered species.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Paying US prices is where it doesn't make sense to me.

With the billions they are making, a few bucks here and there doesn't make alot of difference. When you NEED a gun, you NEED a gun in that line of work .....just a cost of doing business-and we are the closest suppliers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#13]
That is probably non-sense that it is easier to get. 25 years ago, I knew a Ruskie that could get me a Ruskie FA AK for $300(I didn't take him up on the offer, but he was really serious). Why bother with a semi from the US, when you could get a real FA and cheaper, the news media is smoking something other than tobacco.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#14]
the news media is smoking something other than tobacco.

Have you ever looked at the pictures of captured weapons? If you know much about guns it's pretty easy to figure out the most likely source of their procurement.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Apart from the sheer idiocy of the argument if you were part of a cartel would you pick a semi auto ar15 coming from the US that stands a good chance of being nabbed before it makes it.....Or a select fire weapon from central or south america or coming in from another country..... I just don't see it adding up there.

I'm sure Mr Chavez would have no issues doing a few deals?

Why not?

All you have to do is get a Texas driver's license and if you do get caught.......you go scot free and the seller goes to prison.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you ever looked at the pictures of captured weapons? If you know much about guns it's pretty easy to figure out the most likely source of their procurement.

It still could be that the guns in question are stolen.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Realize that the number of guns you see in pictures are a fraction of what is rounded up. Those same pictures have RPG's and hand grenades, I know those didn't come from Texas.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#18]
It still could be that the guns in question are stolen.

Certainly some of them are but we have had SEVERAL large gun busts here in Texas in the last year-40-80 rifles at a time, most of them brand new that were on their way to Mexico. It happens more often than I would like to admit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Close the border, and end illegal traffic for both sides.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]
The sks's and tapco stuff you see confiscated near the border is clearly from the US. These arms are from "bottom feeders" - gang members that acquire guns through theft or straw purchases. The "bottom feeder" gangs are what the cartels use for distribution at the local level as well as cross border courier work. These groups are considered expendable and replaceable by the cartels (cannon fodder) and as such do not get the top notch weapons, gear or comms.

Further up the Cartel food chain is where you'll find the nice hardware, occasionally these military weapons, vehicles, gear and comms are apprehended but never in any quantity. At the higher level in the cartels, there is much cross over from the law enforcent, government and military and hence the serious firepower is only used or needed when a turf war erupts or a power vacuum exists.

In Mexico today; the various cartels, military, law enforcement, political structure are one in the same. A container full of coke coming north can easily have FA guns and RPGs included in the shipment as well as acquiring US gov supplied arms from the Mex military...    there is simply no reason to use that kind of firepower to invite the US to completely seal the border, that would be bad for smuggling/business. Stolen Tapco works just fine in the hands of gang bangers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#21]
well so far only 17 percent have been verified to have come from the USA.  so perhaps the other 83 percent is a whole bunch of awesome guns from othe countries.

Id personaly choose a brand new semi auto AR over a FA ak47 imported and possibly having thousands of rounds already through it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#22]
a huge portion of "US made guns" are from colt and were to be used by the real mexican .mil and police..

that should not count as "bought in gun stores" but as we all know, the media business is full of retards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top