Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 5:14:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so, but laws vary from state to state....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
isn't the public your employer?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate cops.

IBTL
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#5]
What would be the point of "Mugging"you out like that?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Just buy or use your tac. mask for the shoot and pass it around for the others to use he'll get the hint. Would have it put in writing whats he is requiring for future issues
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I think its ok as long as your all dressed like SF operators and not police officers.

I could though see a problem with undercover work..... right?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
not to bright to publish pic of the officers of a police dept.kill some chance of under cover work down the road.some crimal may look and see the whole dept and know who not to seel his drugs too!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
standard photos wearing the smokey bear hat are cool...for professionalism.

photos containing height charts, showing right and left profiles and tattoo's are not...
everyone in that town..knows who you are..

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Why would it be a safety issue?

What are the cops afraid of?  Yeah, maybe some big baddass that you put in jail might be mad at you, but you see that every shift don't you?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
You're a public servant, not a spy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Just wear your JBT bacalavas!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends on the state.  If your in a "Right to work" state they can make you put your picture up there in your underwaer if they wan't.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I work for a PD here in OK and the Chief wants to have our pics taken and put on our webpage.

Needless to say the officers think this is a HUGE saftey issue.

Can he legally force us to have our pics published in public domain?

If you don't have anything to hide, why not?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I would show up in one of those Muslim face scarves.
Like the woman in Florida.
Hurry up and convert to Islam before the shoot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Awwwwwwwwwwww, this could be so cute to see.  Link me when it's done
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I work for a PD here in OK and the Chief wants to have our pics taken and put on our webpage.

If you don't have anything to hide, why not?

+infinity
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Which PD?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Since you guys have the ability to carry concealed across the country now, what's the big deal?  Can't you guys defend yourselves and your families now?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I think there has already been a court case over this at another agency somewhere.
With all of the internet nuts out there who want to put death threats against individual officers, I think its rather foolish to make personal information about officers, including pictures, so readily available. While we may have to accept a degree of risk based on our employment, that sort of tactic puts our entire family at risk. There are reasons why my mail goes to a PO box and my home phone is unlisted.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#24]
No, he can't make you post a picture on the web, but he can make you look for another job.

OTOH, you either go to work in a uniform and drive around all day in a marked car, or you go to and from a police station in plain clothes. You identify yourself as a policeman in court and lots of other places. I have seen narcotics officers working extra-duty jobs in uniform. As someone said, you aren't a spy. Do you wear a mask and put tape over your name tag when working traffic?

I understand your concern, and I'm not unsympathetic to it, but I don't think that it's a bad thing for a person who wields force on behalf of the government to be forced to consider the possibility of being personally identified with his actions. To be frank, it scares the crap out of me to think of policemen acting anonymously and doing things they're afraid to admit in public. It seems to me that if your concern were practically or theoretically legitimate, policemen would have to work wearing masks, without name tags, and in a town at least 50 miles from their homes. State legislators and city councilmen have their pictures all over the place. You're a public official too. Hell, private citizens (at least in Florida) deal with the fact that any policeman with time on his hands can pull up their DL or ID photos and home addresses on an in-car computer. But then, if we've done nothing wrong. . . .
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Do you wear a mask and put tape over your name tag when working traffic?

Most people aren't going to hunt you down over a traffic ticket, although I can think of at least one officer who had half his face shot off after he issued  aguy a ticket and the guy didn't appreciate it and came back with a shotgun.

I understand your concern, and I'm not unsympathetic to it, but I don't think that it's a bad thing for a person who wields force on behalf of the government to be forced to consider the possibility of being personally identified with his actions.

If someone has a concern over my actions, they can address it to my chain of command at my agency, the address for which is published. They do not need to know where I live if they have a grievance over how I have done my job.

To be frank, it scares the crap out of me to think of policemen acting anonymously and doing things they're afraid to admit in public.

Undercover officers are one aspect of law enforcement where the officer has legitimate concerns about having that sort of information published. The same applies to all officers though. We should not make it so easy for these whack jobs to be able to hunt us down.

State legislators and city councilmen have their pictures all over the place.You're a public official too.

Not quite the same, though. Elected reps routinely have their citizens contact them over issues that are important to the general public. When we are off the job, we should not have some whacko showing up at our door. We may have police powers of arrest 24/7, but when we are off duty, we are off duty; we would like to be able to leave that BS at the office where it belongs and not have it show up on our doorstep intruding on our family time, such as it is.

Hell, private citizens (at least in Florida) deal with the fact that any policeman with time on his hands can pull up their DL or ID photos and home addresses on an in-car computer. But then, if we've done nothing wrong. . . .

Thats suposed to be for official use only. It also gets audited at some level, at least within our state it is. I would imagine it is the same elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't some state public/list the names of CCW holders?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Jeez don't sweat it.  Local Depts near me put EMT, Fire, And Police on Baseball cards and hand them out. Nobody has been hurt yet. It is good for community relations, you should back the chief.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#30]
One neat thing I have seen was a "Meet the officer" page for a CA pd.   When you click on the name, you get a quick bio and a caricature of the officer.  I think that was a cool compromise, and community friendly to boot.

Scott's Valley PD
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm confused... I thought this was about posting a picture of a police officer. Last I checked, most officers don't like being called JBTs. In my view, community outreach and programs such as "baseball cards" for the officers help to reduce the amount of the mistrust that the public has of law enforcement. Take a picture in BDUs and head scarves and then wonder aloud why people are afraid of the paramilitary facist bastards that can beat your head in with impunity because you can't even identify their faces.

Again, I thought this was merely about a picture...not home addresses, social security numbers, maiden names, children's names and schools, etc. I also thought this was about the posting of a picture of a plainclothes officer, not a CIA operative of somebody working vice. Of, course, what do I know? Just a lowly plebian here.

Guess what? Citizens have enemies too. Of course, our safety isn't as important as a police officer's safety but gee whiz, if we aren't doing anything wrong, what's a little invasion of our privacy, right?

P.S. Police officers aren't the only ones who are stalked, called at home, sent threatening letters and shot at. This happens to everyday citizens, believe it or not. Probably why we need police in the first place, huh?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
And the police union has what to say about it?

+1 here.

My thoughts:

Pro: You are a public employee, and as such are subject to review by the public, in the past this meant comming down to the PD and having a sit-down with a supervisor or community service officer.  We are in the internet age now, and people expect a presence on the web for both reasons of customer service and community pride.

Con: Big officer safety factor here.  If the public needs personal info, bio, etc. on an officer, contact a supervisor or public relations officer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top