Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 11:25:52 AM EDT
In the state of Virginia and in federal code, I find no laws against the posession of a handgun by somebody between the ages of 18 and 21. It is certainly illegal for a minor to PURCHASE from a licensed dealer a handgun, as well as ammunition for use in a handgun, but is there a prohibition for posession? As in, can a father purchase a handgun for his 19-year-old son and gift it to him, and the son legally owns it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#1]
depends on the state laws
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
depends on the state laws

Yep. In Maine, you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL (federal law and all) but only have to be 18 to possess one, buy one through FTF purchase, or have a CCL.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In the state of Virginia and in federal code, I find no laws against the posession of a handgun by somebody between the ages of 18 and 21. It is certainly illegal for a minor to PURCHASE from a licensed dealer a handgun, as well as ammunition for use in a handgun, but is there a prohibition for posession? As in, can a father purchase a handgun for his 19-year-old son and gift it to him, and the son legally owns it?

Virginia is a pretty free gun state. I would imagine so. Definitiely can in Florida! Check www.packing.org
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]

It is a crime for any person to sell, give or otherwise furnish a handgun to a minor if he has reason to believe that the buyer or recipient is under 18 years of age, unless such transfer is made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity. A person under 18 shall not possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm.1

This prohibition does not apply to a minor in his own home or on his property or on the property of another with prior permission, while accompanied by an adult while hunting, at a range or firearm educational class, and while transporting an unloaded firearm to and from such activities.

From the ATF fact book sitting next to me. VA state law.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It is a crime for any person to sell, give or otherwise furnish a handgun to a minor if he has reason to believe that the buyer or recipient is under 18 years of age, unless such transfer is made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity. A person under 18 shall not possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm.1

This prohibition does not apply to a minor in his own home or on his property or on the property of another with prior permission, while accompanied by an adult while hunting, at a range or firearm educational class, and while transporting an unloaded firearm to and from such activities.

That refers to under-18s. So, since there is apparently no listed prohibition, am I to assume that an over-18 minor may legally posess a handgun in the state of VA?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
How about for PA? Can my dad give me a handgun and have it legally be mine? Can I get a CCL at 19 if that is the case?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How about for PA? Can my dad give me a handgun and have it legally be mine? Can I get a CCL at 19 if that is the case?

Gotta be 21 to get your carry permit in PA.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That refers to under-18s. So, since there is apparently no listed prohibition, am I to assume that an over-18 minor may legally posess a handgun in the state of VA?

That's how I read it. Of course this legal advice is worth exactly as much as you paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#9]
What about MO?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#10]
In VA yes, I am only 16 and I can under state law OWN A HANDGUN ON MY PARENTS PROPERTY.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-309
read subsection 2
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Your first kiss of death will be registration. When I was 18 and I (<cough> "hypothetically") bought my 1st  pistol the state in which I resided at the time had no provision for adults under 21 from owning a handgun other than an establishment could not sell one to anybody under 21.

The Catch was that if the pistol could be bought/gifted somehow, possession was illegal because registration was required for all handguns to be legal and registration began at 21.

Check your state/local laws for purchase and possession.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
You can here in VT.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#13]
21 to buy, but you can be gifted one before that
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
21 to buy, but you can be gifted one before that

Or private party sale if your state allows it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I couldn't buy a pistol here in florida when I turned 18, so I bought an AR instead.
Makes perfect sense, right?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Your first kiss of death will be registration. When I was 18 and I (<cough> "hypothetically") bought my 1st  pistol the state in which I resided at the time had no provision for adults under 21 from owning a handgun other than an establishment could not sell one to anybody under 21.

The Catch was that if the pistol could be bought/gifted somehow, possession was illegal because registration was required for all handguns to be legal and registration began at 21.

Check your state/local laws for purchase and possession.

Huh? What state was this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top