Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2011 11:09:22 AM EDT
Looking to get one of these for fun, but could it be viable for self defense?

It's got an 80lb pull, so I'm sure it will work on small game...but what about two legged creatures?

For under $30.00 it seems pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll shoot right through a lampshade, taking out the bulb.

And it'll dent a steel door.

I don't know what it would do to a person, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end...

And neither did my buddy, so that why we only know the above for certain.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#2]
only if your the snake pliskin type..
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Skull-o-truth?

Being fairly  ignorant as to bow-type weapons, I would hazard a guess that at short range (25ft?) it would penetrate the sinus area and into the brain.

As usual, shot placement is crucial.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be very effective at making you into a mall ninja.

ETA: I missed the "fun" part in the OP. Yes probably effective for fun. Anything else?

C'mon.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Effective in terms of self-defense can be a relative term.  It could certainly kill someone, but incapacitating someone 20 minutes later is not necessarily going to save your ass NAO.  Shot placement would be key.  I'd recommend the lower torso/hip.  Maybe then they won't be able to catch you when you run like hell.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The "Iceman" shot a guy with one to see how well it would work.  They showed an autopsy pic during the interview of a guy with a bolt sticking out of his forehead - I guess it worked.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You mad they will shoot through your bags of milk?
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Effective in terms of self-defense can be a relative term.  It could certainly kill someone, but incapacitating someone 20 minutes later is not necessarily going to save your ass NAO.  Shot placement would be key.  I'd recommend the lower torso/hip.  Maybe then they won't be able to catch you when you run like hell.

Yeah, on second thought, getting shot in the balls or the dick (or both at once) would probably be pretty bad.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm just getting one for fun, I can shoot it inside etc...Just wondering if it would be a viable back up to my back up, to the other back up of my back up weapon if I ran out of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Ask the guy who lost a doe to a cross bow.

Had a buddy who stuck a squirrel to a tree with one... fucked that squirrel up but good!

But not quite as bad as the lead ball from the Walker C&B revolver...
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ask the guy who lost a doe to a cross bow.

Had a buddy who stuck a squirrel to a tree with one... fucked that squirrel up but good!

But not quite as bad as the lead ball from the Walker C&B revolver...

Pistol crossbow...I have a real one, and know it will kill anything I shoot with it.  Just asking about the little 80lb draw pistol versions.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#14]
There are a number of modifications that can be made to that model.  I don't have the plans sitting in front of me right now, I'll try to remember to dig them out of my travel laptop and send them to you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There are a number of modifications that can be made to that model.  I don't have the plans sitting in front of me right now, I'll try to remember to dig them out of my travel laptop and send them to you.

IM them to me or send to my email account here!
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I had that exact model for about a week, before I managed to break it...........not the best quality, but it was fun and for $30 you cannot go wrong. It is rather slow to load, and positioning of the bolt in relationship to the string makes a big difference, so it is not a fast weapon, but at close range it would probably kill if conditions were perfect, but you better get it done on the first shot, because you probably will not have time for a second one.  Hope this helps.

-PC-
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Zombie time close range head shot
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It is rather slow to load, and positioning of the bolt in relationship to the string makes a big difference, so it is not a fast weapon, but at close range it would probably kill if conditions were perfect, but you better get it done on the first shot, because you probably will not have time for a second one.  Hope this helps.
-PC-

This video is not the modification I was talking about, but there are plenty of possibilities

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Take those field points off the bolt and replace them with a glue-on broadhead.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#20]
They will piss off a cow.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#21]
If you put the Drow sleep poison on it, you win! That shit is potent as fuck!
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#22]
The cheap pistol crossbows are crap quality FWIW. Mine fell apart pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The cheap pistol crossbows are crap quality FWIW. Mine fell apart pretty quickly.

What is a quality one, that was one of the more expensive I saw.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is rather slow to load, and positioning of the bolt in relationship to the string makes a big difference, so it is not a fast weapon, but at close range it would probably kill if conditions were perfect, but you better get it done on the first shot, because you probably will not have time for a second one. Hope this helps.

-PC-

This video is not the modification I was talking about, but there are plenty of possibilities

http://youtu.be/SodhzoAE6XE

Meh.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is rather slow to load, and positioning of the bolt in relationship to the string makes a big difference, so it is not a fast weapon, but at close range it would probably kill if conditions were perfect, but you better get it done on the first shot, because you probably will not have time for a second one.  Hope this helps.

-PC-

http://youtu.be/SodhzoAE6XE

That's cool.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you put the Drow sleep poison on it, you win! That shit is potent as fuck!

I was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#30]
20+ years ago my buddy in HS bought one of those at a gunshow

he proceeded to shoot about every wild creature that came across his back yard with it

everything he shot flew or ran off like nothing happened even head shots
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
he proceeded to shoot about every wild creature that came across his back yard with it

But there has to be a good one out there, not the toys.  The one I posted has an 80lb draw, not gonna kill a deer...but should take out small animals.  I'd like one to take out large animals.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In all my searching, I never found a "quality" crossbow pistol.

Anything I've ever found seemed to be about the same or similar to the Chinese shit you posted in the OP.

If there is a "quality" crossbow pistol out there, I'd be ecstatic to hear about it.  As best I can tell, anybody that is running one in a useful manner has the Chinese shit and they tuned it up - and you can only polish a turd so much.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#34]
They are not really for "playing with indoors" that thing shoots those bolts like an m efer.  Quite surprising.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

They are not really for "playing with indoors" that thing shoot those bolts like an m efer.  Quite surprising.

Now you tell us.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#36]
It worked for Otto

and Pieter

Seriously, though, I doubt it because what if he is at the window but his buddy comes through the rear door. Can one reload fast enough to get both of them?
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In all my searching, I never found a "quality" crossbow pistol.

Anything I've ever found seemed to be about the same or similar to the Chinese shit you posted in the OP.

If there is a "quality" crossbow pistol out there, I'd be ecstatic to hear about it.  As best I can tell, anybody that is running one in a useful manner has the Chinese shit and they tuned it up - and you can only polish a turd so much.

PSE use to make one called the Stinger which had a good reputation. Never handled one myself. Looks like they don't make them anymore. They are also have a 80 lb draw weight. To make matters more confusing PSE Stinger is now the name of one of their compound bow models. Pistol crossbows are basically dangerous toys not many practical applications other then fun.

Got this photo off ebay. Looks like it is missing the cocking handle.

There is one of craigslist in Salem, OR for $150: http://salem.craigslist.org/spo/2675001776.html
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

DId he went the bed until he was in his teens and love setting fires? If so, I bet he has a woman suit in his basement.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 2:41:03 AM EDT
[#40]

I'm not sure that I would entrust my life to one.

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Skull-o-truth?

Being fairly  ignorant as to bow-type weapons, I would hazard a guess that at short range (25ft?) it would penetrate the sinus area and into the brain.

As usual, shot placement is crucial.

A couple months ago a British kid shot himself with a similar crossbow. Sinus damage, stopped just before the brain. Just like everything else, it would probably work when everything goes right and you put the hole in the right place but i'd want something with a quicker second shot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DId he went the bed until he was in his teens and love setting fires? If so, I bet he has a woman suit in his basement.

nope no bed wetting or fires that I was aware of  so only one of the trifecta

It was more alcohol fueled than any sort of mental pathology

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#43]
One shot weapon for SD?  No thanks, unless every other option was exhausted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top