Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2004 2:48:18 PM EDT
This question came up tonight. Anyone know the answer?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
They even have their own party.
No wait down syndrome folks don't deserve to be called democraps.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If they have an complete understanding of what they are doing and what it means, then yea I don't see why not.  If not, then no.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Not absolutely but, I believe anyone legally considered incompetent can't.  I'm not sure if there's degrees of down syndrome that would play a part.  I'm just not familiar enough to say with any certainty.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If they can I am sure the Demoncraps are bussing them in from every where
and lecturing them about Kerry being God!

Good question though, We need a ruling on this one...

Anyone have the facts?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  In approximately 25 States there are laws that prevent only those (mentally handicapped persons) with court ordered guardians from voting.  Unless a Downs person has a court ordered guardian and lives in one of those States, they are allowed to cast a vote.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Palo Duro,

Any idea about New York?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
They have all the rights as anyone else (At least here in Oregon).

I've worked in the Mental-Health field since the mid' 80's and an effort IS made to get them (The MR/DD community) to the polls if they request it.

BTW, for what it's worth, the one "Downsy" that I see on a regular basis these days (One of my GF's brothers) is a friend of mine and HE voted for GWB.

I've given him a couple of berets and some old uniforms the last couple of years so he's my Bud'.  Great little dude too BTW.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Palo Duro,

Any idea about New York?

I don't recall which States have the laws in place.  However, I do know that Missouri does and Ohio does not.  I would guess New York would not; being a Blue State.  But I could be dead wrong.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw Kerrys' daughters voting on TV before.......
Serious uglage
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Only if they vote Democrat
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Only if they vote Democrat
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
They can in Californistan if they haven't been declared incompetent by a court of law.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#13]
How in the hell do homeless people vote?

They always ask for an address.  What can they put?  "The shopping cart at Lexington and 25th."
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
My friend has an adopted son who has Downs (in NY), he lives in a group home, the caretaker educates them on the election (yea, right), makes sure they register to vote, and takes them all to vote.  My friends opinion and mine, is that the "caretaker" gets as many votes as he has people in his group home.  

Most Downs Syndrome persons are locked in at a young age mentally and I do not feel this is right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top