Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/24/2005 11:51:16 AM EDT
Can the new dual layer 16x dvd burners burn disks that can hold 9gb? Do you need special media? Will they play in my DVD player?

I am putting all the video of my Son on DVD and 9gb of storage would make it alot easier?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:54:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:
Can the new dual layer 16x dvd burners burn disks that can hold 9gb? Do you need special media? Will they play in my DVD player?

I am putting all the video of my Son on DVD and 9gb of storage would make it alot easier?

Yes.
Yes (dual-layer media).
Yes.
Yes.

Dual-layer media is still fairly expensive.
Way cheaper to burn two DVDs, but if a
few extra bucks is not a problem, go for
it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:54:35 AM EDT
Burners = cheap

Media = not cheap.

Yes, you need the Double-Layer discs, which are not cheap. Yes, if the DVD is authored correctly (lots of software out there for that) it should work with most (newer) DVD players.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:59:28 PM EDT
I have an NEC 8x dual layer that does + and - R and RW
I've only used it with single layer discs though since they're $1 or less per disc
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:51:02 PM EDT
Get thy butt down to Staples for the $39.00 special after rebate 16X dual layer/ YOWZA!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:00:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Coyote6:
Get thy butt down to Staples for the $39.00 special after rebate 16X dual layer/ YOWZA!

Brand?

(For $39, it might not matter. )
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:05:45 PM EDT
DL media is something like four bucks a shot here now, IIRC.

You don't need it, though. Most movies only take up about 4GB, which fits on a single-layer disk (currently about fifty cents each). The problem is, you have to extract just the movie (and one copy of it -- pick widescreen or standard), throwing away all the "extra scenes", "director's commentary", and the navigation menu stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do it correctly so that the movie will play in a regular DVD player. It's easy to extract the movie with DVDDecrypter, but so far I can only play the extracted video files manually on my computer, and they have discontinuities where the files get split.

Movies without a lot of extra crap, like the bargain flippable DVDs that some older movies come on (one side is standard, the other side is widescreen, only 4.7GB on either one) can be backed up directly, using DVDDecrypter, on a single-layer DVD+-R without any problem, though. I've had to do that with some Region 1 DVDs I bought in the U.S., which refuse to play on my Region 3 player unless I change its region (which you can only do four times before it locks permanently -- yeah, I know about region-free firmware, can't find any for this one though).
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:05:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:08:05 PM EDT
BTW, Pioneer and Plextor make good burners. I have a BenQ, which is iffy -- BenQ's reputation is pretty much crap, although this burner (1620) got good reviews despite that. (Supposedly they're trying to become a top-quality manufacturer now).
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:10:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 71-Hour_Achmed:
DL media is something like four bucks a shot here now, IIRC.

You don't need it, though. Most movies only take up about 4GB, which fits on a single-layer disk (currently about fifty cents each). The problem is, you have to extract just the movie (and one copy of it -- pick widescreen or standard), throwing away all the "extra scenes", "director's commentary", and the navigation menu stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do it correctly so that the movie will play in a regular DVD player. It's easy to extract the movie with DVDDecrypter, but so far I can only play the extracted video files manually on my computer, and they have discontinuities where the files get split.

Movies without a lot of extra crap, like the bargain flippable DVDs that some older movies come on (one side is standard, the other side is widescreen, only 4.7GB on either one) can be backed up directly, using DVDDecrypter, on a single-layer DVD+-R without any problem, though. I've had to do that with some Region 1 DVDs I bought in the U.S., which refuse to play on my Region 3 player unless I change its region (which you can only do four times before it locks permanently -- yeah, I know about region-free firmware, can't find any for this one though).

That's what DVD Shrink and DVD43 are for.
Top Top