Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2016 8:52:26 PM EDT
Watch has gotten pretty funky wearing it the past few days cutting wood all day. Can I wash it in the dishwasher or is the water resiliency of the watch and case only applicable to cool to tepid water? Does a dishwasher get hotter than a hot tub?

Edit:  Did itthis morning on "quick wash" and "air dry" settings and it worked fine.  Watch is sparkling clean and still ticking.  Stuck it on the top rack
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably a bad idea.

You should totally do it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably a bad idea.

View Quote

This.

What's wrong with some dish soap and a fingernail brush?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Probably a bad idea.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
well, you could do it at least one time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]

I would try soaking it in warm soapy water.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be more concerned with how caustic the soap is. I clean mine with an old toothbrush and regular dish soap.
If you choose to do the dishwasher just turn it to a non heated setting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Watch has gotten pretty funky wearing it the past few days cutting wood all day. Can I wash it in the dishwasher or is the water resiliency of the watch and case only applicable to cool to tepid water? Does a dishwasher get hotter than a hot tub?
View Quote

I clean my watches under the tap using an old toothbrush, dish soap and warm water.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Spray it down with brake cleaner or Powder Blast.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
They do fine in the dishwasher as long as you don't use the auto dry feature.

Source:common sense.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
No op, it'll ruin the watch.

Just get a brush with some Hoppes and then wipe clean.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes you can.  I use to run mine in the scullery when I was in the Navy.  Worked great.  Except the screen would "grey out" until it cools off, but after that it was fine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Rather than the dishwasher, just throw it in the clothes washer that you can control the heat on.

My clothes washer worked wonders on my G29.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I bet it will be fine!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I clean mine with an old toothbrush and regular dish soap.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I clean mine with an old toothbrush and regular dish soap.

+1

Worked to get roofing tar off from mine
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet he can do it more than once.  Now, I'm not saying the watch will be working the second time he does it, but I bet the watch won't completely dissolve in a single trip through the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
warm running water and an old toothbrush always keeps mine clean
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]
You fail for wearing an ugly ass G-shock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course you can. The only question is will it work afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You take that back  GShocks are glorious,
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can do anything once.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#22]
As others have said the heat of the dry cycle might be bad.

I used to have a G shock that was about 8 or 10 years old . The band has fallen apart and I would just stuff it in my pocket .When I worked in a office I managed to drop it in the toilet after I had flushed . It went down but jambed in the trap . This I knew because the toilet flushed slow .After about a week I pursched a wax ring and broke down the toilet to yank it out.

I hosed it off but just thinking about where it had been was grossing me out so I dropped it into a quart canning jar and added some detergent and capped it.I left the jar on my desk and would shake it up every day or so . two years later it was still keeping decent time but I was sick of looking at it so I tossed it in the dumpster.

Don't think the dishwasher is going to hurt your G-Shock if you turn off the dry cycle
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I used to have a G shock that was about 8 or 10 years old . The band has fallen apart and I would just stuff it in my pocket . When I worked in a office I managed to drop it in the toilet after I had flushed . It went down but jambed in the trap . This I knew because the toilet flushed slow .After about a week I pursched a wax ring and broke down the toilet to yank it out.

I hosed it off but just thinking about where it had been was grossing me out so I dropped it into a quart canning jar and added some detergent and capped it.I left the jar on my desk and would shake it up every day or so . two years later it was still keeping decent time but I was sick of looking at it so I tossed it in the dumpster.

Don't think the dishwasher is going to hurt your G-Shock if you turn off the dry cycle
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I clean my watches under the tap using an old toothbrush, dish soap and warm water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Just a few drops of mild soap in a cup of warm water,
brush and rise.

No compressed air or hot water, though.

Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Just use some Dawn and an old toothbrush.  Done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes top shelf
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I used to have a G shock that was about 8 or 10 years old . The band has fallen apart and I would just stuff it in my pocket .When I worked in a office I managed to drop it in the toilet after I had flushed . It went down but jambed in the trap . This I knew because the toilet flushed slow .After about a week I pursched a wax ring and broke down the toilet to yank it out.

View Quote

Aaand now I'm dumber
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd fo.

But, if you're worried about it.  You could just scrub it down with and old tooth brush and soapy water.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I just wear mine in the shower every day and figure I'm good to go.

Granted mine is only a year old and now the face is foggy.  I called a as today and they said to send it in and they will take care of it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I wore a G-Shock for years when working as a dishwasher in college - constantly in and out of soaking sinks and getting hit with a high pressure sprayer, including directly on it and under it when cleaning up at end of shift, with no ill effects. Went swimming with it, showered with it, and it still runs to this day.

Maybe the newer G-Shocks are pussified, but the old school ones just worked well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know what model of watch we are talking about here, but my own is an MTG-900. It's your standard stainless banded atomic/solar G-Shock. It's water proof to 200M, and says right in the book that during charging. It can get hot enough to blacken the digital face. I don't know what temps a dishwasher can put out, but the water is probably 120 degrees or so. I never used one, so I don't know shit about them.

What I know about my watch, is that it's been left in the car on more than one occasion. Had the face blackened multiple times, and has been way to hot to handle. It still works, is in one piece, and keep perfect time.

There may be some temperature operation info in your booklet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I wore a G-Shock for years when working as a dishwasher in college - constantly in and out of soaking sinks and getting hit with a high pressure sprayer, including directly on it and under it when cleaning up at end of shift, with no ill effects. Went swimming with it, showered with it, and it still runs to this day.

Maybe the newer G-Shocks are pussified, but the old school ones just worked well.
View Quote
Best thing is to buy an old school G-Shock to begin with. Can't beat a 5600 square watch. Currently have a GWM5610 that I bought last year. I expect 10 years out of it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Mine failed swimming
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Did it on "quick wash" and "air dry" settings and it worked fine.  Watch is sparkling clean and still ticking
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#36]
No, the heat will be too much for the watch and kill it.  Additionally, the rubber band and case in the drying cycle will dry out and crack like an egg.

Ask me how I know

I see where I went wrong.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top