Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:29:57 AM EDT
I have a friend who is loaning me a mobile home on Sunday so myself and about 12 others can go white water rafting in West Virginia. He has a two wheel toll dolly for towing.

He said that if I tow the Cherokee, I will cause damage to some thing up front, transfer case or something, even if left in neutral.

Does anyone know any more on this?

TIA

Ziti
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:09 AM EDT
I *believe* you'd have to crawl under it and physically disconnect the transfer case from the driveline (but not sure how exactly you'd go about doing it -- I'll let more knowlegeable people chime in) in order to safely tow a 4wd vehicle with two (or more) wheels rolling on the ground.

Otherwise, my understanding is that the turning wheels will end up trying to turn the non-turning wheels or something along those lines and end up breaking things. My understanding of what would happen is probably wrong though, as I do not have a 4wd vehicle, and everything I know is just from what friends have said.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 7:04:08 AM EDT by k12lts]
Lots of people tow Jeeps behind RVs. Assuming it is four wheel drive with an automatic transmission, just put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park. Leave the key in the ingition and put it in the "off" but not steering locked position so the steering wheel does not lock. The front wheels need to be free to turn with the vehicle.

**Sorry I just re-read your post** I was thinking about towing the Jeep with a tow bar with all four wheels on the ground, not a dolly. With the front wheels off the ground you may have to remove the rear driveshaft for towing. Not hard to do, just a little dirty down there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 6:03:30 PM EDT by Pthfndr]
Did you check your owners manual yet. Should say in there. Mine does, but it's a 96 GC 6 cyl with part time 4wd.

ETA: Ok, out of curiosity I went and checked my owners manual.

1) Put transfer case into neutral
2) Put key in the "off" but unlocked position
3) Put transmission into Park
*Warning - Do NOT remove rear driveshaft or fluid will leak out from the transfer case

That's what the owners manual says for towing the vehicle. It does not differentiate from flat towing or towing on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground.
Top Top