Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2002 12:48:21 AM EDT
I just bought a used car and I am having the usual second thoughts. How long do you have to take a purchase that is financed back and say forget it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
That really depends on state law.  In Colorado you generally have 72 hours to cancel a major purchase.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
In Ohio you have 3 days...

check your state laws
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#3]
If its in your possession,you own it.That's the USED CAR DEALERS MOTTO!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just bought a used car and I am having the usual second thoughts. How long do you have to take a purchase that is financed back and say forget it!
View Quote

I wouldn't exactly call it "usual". I don't think I've ever regretted buying a car or anything else expensive like that. In fact, I don't think I know anybody that has ever taken a new car back because they simply decided they didn't want it. I would call that unusual.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
In most states, cars are specifically exempted from the statutes that allow you to reconsider a purchase by a certain time. If you just take it back to the dealer, throw them the keys and walk away, it's called a voluntary repossession, and will not do your credit any good. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
According to a friend who is a salseman at a local dealership:  New car - three days "buyers remorse."  Used car - you own it.

That applies only in FL.

Eddie
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#7]
New - 3 days , if you bought a used one  "as-is" then its yours dude .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top