Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2001 12:32:39 PM EDT
Hey guys,
  Need some help with shipping a rifle. Can I ship/mail a Rifle through the United States Post office? My local Post Office seems to think I can't. And the BATF website claims I can. What are your expireces with mailing rifles. Is it legal? Can it be done? I am almost positive that I can mail it. I could be wrong though... Of course, I have the signed copy of the FFL. It cleared the ATF site as well.    Thanks much!

-Jared
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
They told me I couldn't too.

But I had my dealer tell me I could, and did the reasearch myself. Check out publication 52, section 43 from the usps.com site.
[url]http://new.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf[/url]

Basically, you can ship an unloaded RIFLE or SHOTGUN that isn't NFA and complies with the GCA of 68. Pistols and pistol parts that could be assembled into a full pistol are not allowed.

Edited to fix some grammar errors.
Robby
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you can.No handguns allowed though.I knew the regulation # but I cant remember it now.If you ship UPS you have to take a complete firearm to their station and not a dropoff point.The people that own them are not UPS employees.You can ship non numbered parts from there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If you ship UPS you have to take a complete firearm to their station and not a dropoff point.The people that own them are not UPS employees.You can ship non numbered parts from there.
View Quote

Yep, thats what I did with a Springfield 03a3.  They didn't even open up the box, i just filled out a few forms and that was it.  This was pre 9/11, so I don't know if any new regulations have started.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't beleive what the counter clerks tell you.  Go online to the www.usps.gov website and hunt down through the endless screens of garbage to the post office domestic mail manual (DMM), its there.  The section is titled "CO24, Other Restricted or Nonmailable Matter."  Search through to subsection 3.0 where it specifically states that rifles and shotguns that are not prohibited by NFA and comply with GCA 1968 ARE MAILABLE.

If they have a problem with that, ask to see the postmaster for the district and don't settle for anything less.  I go through this hassle about every six months or so and have gotten where I print out the regs and hand them to the clerk with the package.

dhg2
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't tell them it is a rifle. The clerks have no business knowing anyway. The package must be unmarked. My local postoffice said the rifle had to be disassembled. Not sure if that is right, but I wasn't going to argue. Just ship it like you would any other package. Just make sure you stay legal as far as shipping to an FFL and all that.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the "grief" you want to put up with.
The simple answer is yes you can.

The grief factor seems to depend on the post office.
Here in Oklahoma I've shipped several with no problems.  A guy in Maryland tried to ship one to me and they turned him away.

(I think hg22 is correct.  Technically I believe the rifle must be disassembled and no ammunition in the package.)
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depends on the "grief" you want to put up with.
The simple answer is yes you can.

The grief factor seems to depend on the post office.
Here in Oklahoma I've shipped several with no problems.  A guy in Maryland tried to ship one to me and they turned him away.

(I think hg112 is correct.  Technically I believe the rifle must be disassembled and no ammunition in the package.)
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
You can ship to a resident of the same state as you reside as long as they aren't a felon. You can recieve also.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I ended up going back with Title 18, section 922, about where it says I can mail a long arm. The guy who I dealt with was gone, and the gentlemen I dealt with this time was a little more civil. But, takes out his "post office bible" where it claims that I can't mail it... I might go with UPS or something else, but I was positive you can mail it, so I might want to prove them wrong for giving me the hassle. BIG time antis. Keep the info coming!

-Jared
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I ended up going back with Title 18, section 922, about where it says I can mail a long arm. The guy who I dealt with was gone, and the gentlemen I dealt with this time was a little more civil. But, takes out his "post office bible" where it claims that I can't mail it... I might go with UPS or something else, but I was positive you can mail it, so I might want to prove them wrong for giving me the hassle. BIG time antis. Keep the info coming!

-Jared
View Quote

Print out the Title 18 page and take it to them. If they still give you trouble demand to talk to a superior.

I don't even tell them when I ship a rifle through usps. Telling them you are shipping a rifle only makes it complicated. They don't need to know.

If the printout doesn't work, tell them you want the number for the postmaster or the district manager.

Or better yet, ask them, " Are you discriminating against me because of I am a gunowner or because of my ethnicity?"  [:P]
That should shut them up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats the thing. They asked me what was in it... I told them a firearm. Nope sorry, He gets out his little hazmat book and claims that he can't mail it by showing me a picture of ammuniation, with something saying it can't be mailed. I said, Sir, There is no ammunition, then he flips the page. The book says that you can't ship handguns. I said sir, this is not a hand gun. Then blah blah blah. So I Come back with Title 18 U.S.C section 922 where it states I can mail one. Nope, thats not good enough. I tried to stay as cool as I could, but its pissing me off. I knew you could do it, and they never should have asked me what was in it anyways. Seems like maybe they are being discrimitory towards me, as I am only 19. Anyone know exactly where in the Postal Handbook it says a private person can mail to a FFL? They seem to think I need to be a dealer and give them an affadavit. Thanks.

-Jared
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi Grizz, Would that be my little 10/22?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually take a copy of the FFL's license that I am shipping it to. I've never had anybody ask before until the last time a few months ago. He asked if I had a copy and I told him yeah, and pulled it out of my pocket, but he didn't even want to see it.

Other than that nobody has ever blinked about shipping a gun. Then again, this is Texas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Rick!
 I am glad that you posted. I lost your email when I computer crashed a few weeks ago. Finally recieved your FFL. Check your email, please.

Ponyboy,
  I had the signed copy and all with me. These guys are jerks. I need to find the exact "rule" that allows me to ship a long gun, from a private person, to a FFL. I am looking, but can't come up with anything yet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Stupid jerks told me I had to contact ATF to find out if it was legal or not.  WT?

Foiled again, trying to ship that AOW 11-87 is pretty damm hard!

Jerks need more training.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Btt, anyone got anything specific I can use?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes you can.  I mailed my shotgun to Browning for repairs.  I know for a fact you can send it to the factory for repairs and I told them it was a gun and filled out no extra papers.  I think it has to be a long gun and I don't think you can send guns to individuals but you can send it to a FFL AND they can send it back!
For what it is worth Browning didn't charge me a thing to restock an Ultra Sporting O/U because it was less than a year old and in excellent shape.

Stand up for your self and ship it USPS.  Stand up for all of us and raise hell til they ship it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]
HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT ELEVATING THE SITUATION TO A SUPERVISOR?  NEVER stop when told "no" by the desk drones.  Make sure you have title 18 in hand.

I just shipped a rifle via USPS on Saturday.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Simply don't tell them what it is. They have no legal right to know, and you have no legal obligation to tell them.  If they ask (which they shouldn't) say it is rare collectible pool cues or some such thing.
It won't effect the insurance on the item because AFAIK there is no place on the insurance form that requires you to say WHAT is being insured.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#22]
RickWriter,
You're right that you don't have to declare that a package contains a firearm, as long as it is going to an FFL holder.  However, there is a Catch 22 in the Postal Regulations.  When shipping a firearm, you have do demonstrate or certify that the firearm not loaded.  They might wonder why you are certifying that the pool cues are not loaded.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:25:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I would simply print off all of the relevant info that I needed grab the gun and head to the post office. I would also make sure that I go around lunch time, or whatever is the busiest time for you post office. When I arrived I would announce in a very loud and stern voice, "I have a gun!". As soon as everyone runs past you and the screaming dies down say, "And I would like to ship it per the rules stated in title 18!".

If that doesn't get a supervisors attention then I don't know what will. You could then explain to them that you had already tried several times to ship your item but were refused because the idiots behind the counter didn't know what they are talking about.

Truthfully though, I would be raising hell. You should be spending your time talking to higher ups that can chew on the asses of the people that are messing with you. Call BATF and anonymously report that your local post office is not following the rules regarding the shipment of firearms and you would like it investigated. Raise as much hell as you can. What can they do? Stop accepting your mail?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I have sent out rifles to be modified via USPS.  I understand it's OK to do this as long as the rifle will be sent back to the point of origin(me).  If you're selling the rifle to somebody else I believe you have to go through an FFL, at least that's what we do in New York.

The proper way to ship is put the rifle in an UNMARKED box, don't tell them what is inside and ship it PRIORITY MAIL and always INSURE and get DELIVERY CONFIRMATION on your package.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have sent out rifles to be modified via USPS.  I understand it's OK to do this as long as the rifle will be sent back to the point of origin(me).  If you're selling the rifle to somebody else I believe you have to go through an FFL, at least that's what we do in New York.

View Quote

As long as the rifle is going to an FFL it's fine. You don't need an FFL on both ends, just the receiving end.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

As long as the rifle is going to an FFL it's fine. You don't need an FFL on both ends, just the receiving end.
View Quote

That's what I meant to say(yawn still early!)...Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top