Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 4:17:50 AM EDT
I have a ton of files in my Windows/TEMP folder, most of the icons look like an Internet Explorer 'e' on a page. When I open any of them it looks like some kind of code, nothing that I can understand. The files in question all have .hml(?)endings in thier name, maybee it's .htm, it's one of those.

There are other files in the TEMP folder that look more important, but the majority are 'e' files.

I was wondering if I can get rid of this stuff, I don't have an internet connection on that PC, just some Auto Repair software for the shop and it's also used to write service/repair orders.

I also have no idea what these files are used for(if they are still used at all), where they come from, and whether or not I can delete them without causing any problems?

Any suggestion/explanations would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you close all your programs first, in case one of them is currently using one of those temp files.  But if it is, it usually just gripes that the file's open and can't be deleted.

One tip:  I always go into the Internet Options in the Control panel and reduce the cache that IE uses to about 40-50MB.  The default is some percentage of your hard drive, and I don't feel like letting IE waste a gig of my hard drive for cache space.  It might slow your websurfing down a bit, but I'm on broadband.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Admiral_Crunch, Thank you for the help.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
yes you can,

here are some util's to help xblock  scroll down and click download

ccleaner
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I like using Window Washer, which will clean all the appropriate files and folders.  But yes, you can clean out the Windows Temp folder.  

www.webroot.com/consumer/products/windowwasher/
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top