Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2002 7:26:55 PM EDT
If I can buy a brand new short barrel rifle, say from DPMS or Bushmaster, what do I need to do?

I see short barrel rifles are classified NFA.

So I would presumably have to register the rifle as such.  Not exactly sure how to do that.

I have requested form 5320.4, Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm.

If I fill out this form, send it in, and am approved by BATF, will I be qualified to buy a short barreled rifle?  Is this a license I'm requesting?

My goal is to obtain a supressor and an M4 AR 15.

Once the rifle is registered as an NFA weapon, will I be able to then modify the weapon as I see fit?  For instance, add a supressor, add a 14.5" barrel, a flash supressor (essentially the supressor acts as this as well, the reason I can't add a supressor to a post ban weapon).

Thanks for your help!

E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Once the rifle is registered as an NFA weapon, will I be able to then modify the weapon as I see fit?  For instance, add a supressor, add a 14.5" barrel, a flash supressor (essentially the supressor acts as this as well, the reason I can't add a supressor to a post ban weapon).
View Quote

The preban/postban nonsense still applies to NFA weapons. If you register a brand new receiver as a Short Barreled Rifle, you will still need to conform to the AWB.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Well...*sigh*

So the only way to get a new rifle is to register it as a machine gun and for that I need a pre 1986 registered DIAS which will run me about $5k or more?

I dont understand their logic.  Why would those rules still apply when the gun would be registered with the BATF as an NFA weapon??

What more could they want??  I can own a brand new full auto (sorta) with a silencer but not a semi auto??

Thanks for the info though man, I appreciate you responding.

E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, David, you've really been giving me a lot of good info and I appreciate it.

Hey here's a question, something I just thought of...

from James O. Bardwell's, "FAQ ON NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT WEAPONS" 1994 - 2001 (found on Subguns.com),

"Before the NFA was changed in 1968, as part of the Gun Control Act of 1968, one could register unregistered existing weapons,
however it meant you were admitting to possessing an unregistered weapon.  In fact the law required it, which was a reason the U.S. Supreme Court used in gutting the mandatory registration scheme of the pre-68 NFA in Haynes v. U.S., 390 U.S. 85 (1968). (It violated the 5th amendment right against compelling self-incrimination.)"

If the above information is correct, does that imply, that if someday the government were to require a national registration of firearms, we would not have to register our firearms if we were unfamiliar enough with the law as to not know whether or not we would be incriminating ourselves?

Just wondering :)

E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So the only way to get a [b]new[/b] rifle is to register it as a machine gun and for that I need a pre 1986 registered DIAS which will run me about $5k or more?
View Quote

A DIAS or LL is the only way I can think of for us to get a [b]new[/b] rifle that doesn't fall under the AWB.

What you could do is get a [b]old[/b] rifle, one manufactured prior to Sept94, and register that as your Short Barreled Rifle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Noob question, what's an LL?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
If the above information is correct, does that imply, that if someday the government were to require a national registration of firearms, we would not have to register our firearms if we were unfamiliar enough with the law as to not know whether or not we would be incriminating ourselves?
View Quote

NO! Ignorance of the LAW is not a defense.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#9]

You can always get an AOW, which is basically a preban pistol with a permanently mounted front foregrip.  This has flash suppressor, handguard, etc.  You can even put a suppressor on it!

You can then have any barrel length, as long as it would keep it a pistol.

If you want one, we can get you one! [<|:d>]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top