Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2011 12:19:28 PM EDT
I don't have a brazing tip ( just a rosebud and a cutting tip) and I need to fill some spots on a 16 guage motorcycle fender?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can get the heat down enough.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes and no. You could stick two pieces of metal together with it but I wouldn't place bets on it turning out pretty. You can get the metal hot enough to flow the bronze but you'll have very poor control over the heat and where it goes. You're likely have to overheat the whole area and spread the bronze where you don't want it and/or blow through the metal. If you want to fill in holes in the metal I'm not sure it's really going to work at all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I am actually just trying to smooth out a joint that I already welded together, I got a test peice so I am going to give it a try thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done it. Turned out decent. I dont remember what size cutter though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but if you're asking how, then it won't be pretty.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I do it all the time..just turn the gas down as low as it will stay lit with little blue flames...watch your material so it doesn't overheat/buckle/burn through. don't accidently hit the oxy lever either!!

If in doubt..practice on similiar weight metal. But yes..it's doable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
All the above. If you know what you're doing, it should be easy. Well, not easy but doable.

Remember, if you heat the brazing to much, the bronze (I think) will start to evaporate leaving a brittle and shitty job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top