Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 8:59:14 AM EDT
Anyone try this?

I have to bail for a few hrs(sociology final), but I wanted some cooked rice for tonight.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Not well.  You need an actual rice cooker, or you need to do it in a pot on the stove.  Try to cook it in a crock pot and you'll end up (at best) with bland rice pudding.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me check.  I'll get back to you on this.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a black and decker steamer and an electrical outlet timer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
No, you need a real rice cooker for this. You can get a plug in counter top model
(Hitachi, etc) or a microwave cooker (Walmart). Both work well.
We eat alot of rice here in south Louisiana so I am in the know. If you use the electric
type, spray the metal inside pot with Pam or similiar. No spray is necessary for the
plastic type microwave cooker. Also do not rinse the rice. You loose vital nutrients and
don't forget to lightly salt the rice to bring out the taste.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Just follow the directions on the rice package cook for 15 mins or so. Turn the stove off cover the pot and just let it set on the stove. It will be just fine when you come home hours later.

Get a rice cooker. Thrift store $5.00 or new 25.00
White people sure do miss out on the rice cooker. Dont know any who have one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out the Zojirushi NS-ZAC10 5-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker:

3 different White rice sttings.  3 different cereal settings (porridge, oatmeal,throw some friut in there too if you want).  Brown rice setting, etc.

Tell this thing you want the rice ready at 18:00 - the shit's ready at fucking 18:00 on the nose.  Oatmeal ready at 0600?  Again, no fucking problem - what are you?  A jag-off?.

This thing whipes it's ass with other so-called automatic rice cookers.  

Plus, the damn Rice paddle stores securely on the side.  This thing does everthing except load magazines for you in your sleep.

One problem:   I don't have one.  I just cannot pull the trigger on $199.99  But a man can dream can't he?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#8]
lmao Dolomite!

Scott
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007J5U7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

3 different White rice sttings.  3 different cereal settings (porridge, oatmeal,throw some friut in there too if you want).  Brown rice setting, etc.

Tell this thing you want the rice ready at 18:00 - the shit's ready at fucking 18:00 on the nose.  Oatmeal ready at 0600?  Again, no fucking problem - what are you?  A jag-off?.

Plus, the damn Rice paddle stores securely on the side.  This thing does everthing except load magazines for you in your sleep.

One problem:   I don't have one.  I just cannot pull the trigger on $199.99  But a man can dream can't he?

OMG!! I'm crying here![/LOL]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Dolomite, you can find them much cheaper on eBay.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#11]
fucin A man
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Dolomite, you can find them much cheaper on eBay.

I know, I know.  I'm finding them for around 150-ish on "Yahoo! Shopping".  It's killing me I'm telling ya!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007J5U7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

That thing is one of the most beautiful contraptions I have ever laid eyes upon.

I LOVE porridge!

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#14]
A real Japanese rice cooker is the way to go. We have a Tiger that we have had for years. Makes perfect rice every time. Wash the rice. Pour in the right amount of water. Let it soak for a while and plug it in. It turns itself off when done and keeps the rice warm. I really like the looks of the one posted above. I'll have to check it out when ours kicks the bucket.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Wash yer rice off? you one of them city folk that pick the pebbles out of yer beans too I bet.

Seriously though I don't think crock pots get hot enough to do rice right., and/or if they do that's probably too long to let rice sit after it has absorbed the liquid, I think it would burn or worse overheat the crockpot with negative results.

Rice cookers can definitely make life easier and not a lot of non-oriental families use them.  Which means you can wow some folks at pot lucks or neighborhood parties with your culinary masterpiece.  Experiment to see what you like.  Substitute chicken stock for some of the water, add almonds,  chopped onions,  curry powder,   parsley for color, etc, all kinds of things to enhance rice, try long grain, jasmine or basmati if you usually use short american grain.   Had some the other day where they added cinnamon and cilantro, interesting.  "Tell me again how you made this it's great."  "Well it was tough. Put 8 dippers of rice in., added a can of chicken broth, added water up to the 8 line, and tossed in a bag of almond slivers.  And plugged it in and pushed the button.  It turns down when cooked."  

never tried pasta - gemelli might work, although you are courting sticky rice especially with a thin pasta, really sticky remember flour and water paste?

Dirty rice, if you browned the meat first, might work.  Red beans and rice, not sure you could cook the beans enough, and canned beans just don't make it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anyone try this?

I have to bail for a few hrs(sociology final), but I wanted some cooked rice for tonight.

How does that one member's sig line go?   "Ask yourself, 'Would John Wayne be having this conversation?' "

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I just boil my rice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes you can cook rice in a crock pot it just takes longer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#19]
i use a covered plastic bowl and cook it in the microwave.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Mmmmmmmmm....rice!!

I think I'm gonna have to make me some tonight.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just boil my rice.

Yup.  It's so f'in easy, I don't know why other people don't do it that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top