Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 4:33:23 AM EDT
Not knowing much about vaccine and licensing what I gather from the media is Canada has a large supply of vaccine but we cannot import it because it does not meet the certification for our quality standards.  Can Bush sign an executive order under a national emergency provision that would allow the importation of the vaccine?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Even if he could, why would he allow it in if the country where the stuff is made closed the plant down because the vaccine was CONTAMINATED?

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
so the vaccine in Canada is from the same British plant that was shutdown?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No, the Canadians have standards too.  

Also, the plant that was closed down was an American owned plant.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The Canooks can't spare any and I suspect that the Executive Order only applies to cases where there is a true public health threat.  As long as the current vaccine is properly administered to at risk people there is no real public health threat.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
He could, but he won't...

It would be hypocritical considering his stance on Canadian perscription drugs...

Besides, we don't really need it... The 'shortage' is 100% media-created, as EVERY YEAR around this time, they go into flu-flu-flu-frenzy....

Come on guys, it's the goddamn flu... The solution to the 'problem' is exactly what Bush said in the debate: if you're not a small child or a senior citizen, DO NOT GET THE FLU SHOT!

I haven't had the flu since I was a kid... And I've never had a shot,..
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No, the issue is the same as for other drugs from Canada...

The Canadians do not have as stringent a drug-approval system as we do...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Suppose the President signed such an order (and, I have no way of knowing whether it would be legal).  Two problems:

1- He is following his opponent's instructions.

2- The biggie:  if ANYTHING goes wrong, whether truly related to the vacine or not, he would be toast.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It would be hypocritical considering his stance on Canadian perscription drugs...

Besides, we don't really need it... The 'shortage' is 100% media-created, as EVERY YEAR around this time, they go into flu-flu-flu-frenzy....

Come on guys, it's the goddamn flu... The solution to the 'problem' is exactly what Bush said in the debate: if you're not a small child or a senior citizen, DO NOT GET THE FLU SHOT!

+1.

Besides, all the flu shot does is get you a 'little' sick, and then you can't get it later.

So, either you get sick, or you have a chance of getting sick?

WHY would you get this shot????
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I agree with Dave. I do not get Flu shots either. This is a media created problem, and every year we hear the same thing Flu shots shortage...and every year we hear "Doctors are worried the flu shots administered were not for this certain flu strain"...and then there will be a new scare.
Plus this is not the 1800s we are not going to have the massive flu problems because with out the flu shots we can still treat the symptoms.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#10]
THERE IS A SUPPLY SHORTAGE.

It has nothing to do with the Canadian prescription drug issue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with Dave. I do not get Flu shots either. This is a media created problem, and every year we hear the same thing Flu shots shortage...and every year we hear "Doctors are worried the flu shots administered were not for this certain flu strain"...and then there will be a new scare.
Plus this is not the 1800s we are not going to have the massive flu problems because with out the flu shots we can still treat the symptoms.

Chris

reminds me i need to buy some DayQuill.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
THERE IS A SUPPLY SHORTAGE.

It has nothing to do with the Canadian prescription drug issue.

Actually it does.  It illustrates that it isn't always safe to import stuff from other countries.  If the contaminated flu vaccine had been allowed to be injected, who knows what would have happened?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top