Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/18/2006 5:52:06 AM EDT
I need one to go under my kitchen sink for drinking water. Have any of you guys researched it and found the best unit at a reasonable price ($400 or less) ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:02:47 AM EDT
Don't know about purchasing a unit, but I had a Culligan rental some years ago and it worked great.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:02:52 AM EDT
We had one installed about 3 years ago, may be four. It is a Hague Watermax. Holds about 2 1/2 gallons. Recycles as you use it. We also bought one of those water coolers and use water from the reverse osmosis unit in it. Cooler also has an ice maker, so our ice is filtered and pure as well. We just fill up the blue "Culligan" jugs from the unit and have both cold water and ice. The Hague unit and all the filters have to be serviced once a year, depending on the quality of your water. I don't know how bad the water is in your area but a good water company can do wonders. Here in New Mexico you can send in a sample of your water in a sterile jar, to the state and have it tested for whatever. Also, the company that installed ours and services it, sends a sample of the water in to a national company back east somwhere that conducts a much more thorough test. Tests for a lot more impurities than the state does. Our filtered and reverse osmosis treated water tastes wonderful. We don't buy bottled water any more. Wife and I have those small stainless sport or traveling type bottles that we fill several times a day if we're not home.
If you have alot of sediment type stuff in your water, you have to pre-filter it. We have large(8" by 3') whole house or main line sediment filters installed at the main water input to the house. So water to every faucet or whatever in the house is filtered for sediment. These have to be serviced every 6 months or so, depending on your water. If sediment is the only problem you have, you may or may not need a reverse osmosis system. It is best to have a water company come and check it out if you are not sure what you need.
Before we installed our systems, we hauled our drinking and cooking water from town in 5 gallon jugs. I think we were hauling 5 jugs back and forth to get refilled every couple weeks. It is really nice not to have to do that anymore. The Water Store we were using did not deliver. So we made all those trips to town to get our water.
It is a lot more convienent with our setup now, but is not cheap. I think our reverse osmosis unit was $1,000. Not including installation. I'm not sure what we paid for the whole setup ( filtration and R.O. , testing ,etc.) but I think it was about $2,500 to $3,000. Expensive but worth it if you don't have good water. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that we have our own well, not city water.
Sorry if this was kind of rambling, but I hope it provided you with some help. Barry.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:17:48 AM EDT
I don't remember what brand, but I got mine at Sam's for around $150 about 5 years ago. Took a bit to install but has been working fine since. Not too hard to install if you are the least bit "handy". I also recommend a sediment filter for the whole house, I put one on when I had to replace my water softener. RO filters last much longer now.
Top Top