Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/17/2018 5:30:34 PM EDT
I treated my arteest wife to a new Nikon DSL & a decent zoom lens.
We have a nice bag for the camera & the other lenses we have but would like to find a dedicated bag for this lens.
If it could be strapped to a motorcycle that would be a plus.
The hive knows all so I will take your advice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:57:42 PM EDT
I don't know about bags...I just got a couple of pelican cases for my 300mm F2.8 and 200 F2G VR2.
I have the 200-500 as well. It will fit with the 300 F2.8 in the larger case I got.

I like hard cases in case they get bumped. I am currently looking for insurance for my lenses too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:12:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2018 6:13:52 PM EDT by NorthPolar]
I have this Lowepro case for mine. With the lens hood put on backwards it fits great, even though I have an oversized arca plate attached to the lens collar/foot. Almost perfectly sized for it, but the 200-500mm f/5.6 is almost the same size as the 300mm f/2.8 and all.

Mind you, I only use the soft case when I'm carrying the lens around on it's own. Otherwise it's either in a hard case or my Lowepro backpack that fits my D850, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 200-500mm perfectly with a little extra room for goodies.

Amazon Product
  • Fits telephoto lenses, similar to 300mm f/2.8
  • Purpose-built, one-piece foam padding construction protects a specific lens size and shape from top to bottom and side to side; sturdy, yet lightweight
  • Built-in SlipLock attachment tab secures the Lens Case to a Lowepro SlipLock compatible bag or pack
$39.89
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:16:26 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cistercian:
I don't know about bags...I just got a couple of pelican cases for my 300mm F2.8 and 200 F2G VR2.
I have the 200-500 as well. It will fit with the 300 F2.8 in the larger case I got.

I like hard cases in case they get bumped. I am currently looking for insurance for my lenses too.
View Quote
State Farm. You can put camera gear on your regular renters or homeowners insurance with caveats. That said, if you've ever, and I mean ever, sold a print or anything similar, they'll consider you a 'professional.' Personally I like the inland marine/personal articles policy for professional stuff better anyhow. It's around $1 per $1k in coverage, $0 deductible, repair/replace, but you need to supply receipts, serial numbers, etc, and only get 3 claims before the policy is killed.

So basically keep it for the big stuff like dropping your 300mm f/2.8 or something, not your 50mm f/1.8 that cost $150.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:36:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
State Farm. You can put camera gear on your regular renters or homeowners insurance with caveats. That said, if you've ever, and I mean ever, sold a print or anything similar, they'll consider you a 'professional.' Personally I like the inland marine/personal articles policy for professional stuff better anyhow. It's around $1 per $1k in coverage, $0 deductible, repair/replace, but you need to supply receipts, serial numbers, etc, and only get 3 claims before the policy is killed.

So basically keep it for the big stuff like dropping your 300mm f/2.8 or something, not your 50mm f/1.8 that cost $150.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cistercian:

Thanks Man! I knew someone would know about insurance. My 300 F2.8 was cheap (old non vr fast AFS built 1996 to 2001) but the 200 F2G VR2 was certainly not.
If I nuked a D500 on the 200mm that would be a claim for sure. I have never sold anything so I will check out the inland marine guys.
Because I might!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:27:24 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies, I'll have her start looking.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:34:29 AM EDT
I have this Lowepro case for mine. With the lens hood put on backwards it fits great, even though I have an oversized arca plate attached to the lens collar/foot. Almost perfectly sized for it, but the 200-500mm f/5.6 is almost the same size as the 300mm f/2.8 and all.

Mind you, I only use the soft case when I'm carrying the lens around on it's own. Otherwise it's either in a hard case or my Lowepro backpack that fits my D850, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 200-500mm perfectly with a little extra room for goodies.

www.amazon.com/dp/B004KJE8H8
View Quote
I use this same lens case. Mine has the replacement Kirk collar and foot with built-in Arca capability attached.

The case works great on its own (the strap leaves a little to be desired from a padding standpoint) and also attaches to packs, etc easily. It protected this lens for me on a trip to Japan attached to a backpack as carry-on and worked great without a problem. You can actually wear it on your belt, but it is quite bulky for that. I also end up using the case as a drop bag for other lenses as I am swapping around during outings.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:00:10 AM EDT
what is she shooting with the lens?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:55:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
View Quote
Mostly wildlife around the house.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:49:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:
View All Quotes
That’s what a 270 or 30-06 is for.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:18:11 PM EDT

View Quote
Those are some pretty fast ones, there. Might need to stop 'em down.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2018 6:35:28 PM EDT by doc_Zox]

don't stop em down too far or set the iso to high
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:59:40 PM EDT
View All Quotes

She likes her Sig, coon was injured by a car or perhaps rabid & she put it down with 1 shot to the noggin.
Top Top