Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2004 2:01:22 PM EST
Ok this will be the first time me and my friends wil be going camping and we need a check list on what to buy.

Some info for u guys.
& people will be going

Going end of october so it will be cooler

will might be camping in the desert next to a stream or just on BLM land

Got the tents.And thats about it.How do u guys store and keep cool all that food like meats.

And what other stuff do we need?

­

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:02:23 PM EST
Ammo!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:04:48 PM EST
cooler.

Make sure to keep the food up and away at night.

Grill top----- to cook burgers or dogs on.

Plastic utensils.

Lots of water
beer
copenhagen
matches----duh?!
Sleeping bags
rain gear---ponchos---nothing like a poncho to keep you dry.
ill post somemore if i can remember!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:05:41 PM EST
bungee cords ---------- for many things.

Wind stops /with tarps -- shelters also
clothes line
many many things
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:07:10 PM EST
A few idiot things here if you don't know. Keep food OUTSIDE your tent. Hang cooler from a tree. Was hands and mouth before you sleep. Don't eat in your tent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:11:49 PM EST
What kind of camping? Will your car be close by, so you can go get water/food/essentials? Or are you hiking in somewhere, so that everything you take must be carried a long distance on your back?

Lacking this info, I can only suggest you take enough clothes so you can add layer upon layer and stay warm down to 30 degrees less than the lowest temps you actually expect. Fleece is great, cotton (and denim especially) is not ideal.

And keep in mind there are a lot of vehicle breakins at remote hiking trailheads...

Good luck, be safe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:14:37 PM EST
bring plenty of tp and don't wipe your ass with funny leaves. Poison ivy is a bitch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:15:39 PM EST
bug spray, lanterns, first aid kit, meds if u need em
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:15:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By painrx:
bring plenty of tp and don't wipe your ass with funny leaves. Poison ivy is a bitch.

Baby wipes also -- keep it clean and your comfortable ...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:17:54 PM EST
If you guys could see how my friend and I camp when we go
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:23:15 PM EST
pillows
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:26:19 PM EST
Duct Tape. I can't count the time duct time has saved my butt camping. I also try to carry atleat 1.5 times more water than I drink usually. Check out some of the camping outfitters like campmor or rei. If it going to be cold, always remember a blatantly marked piss bottle for the tent(getting out of your warm sleeping back at night to take a piss is not fun.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:27:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:29:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:30:27 PM EST
A couple small tarps along with a few bungees are handy. You can improvise shelter from rain or sun.

A comfy lounge chair.
A defensive firearm (where allowed).

Plenty of water in gallon jugs. I take a pair of one gallon jugs and freeze them solid. Then put them in the bottom of the cooler along with food and drinks. You will eventually have to refill the cooler with ice, but it gives you a good start. And when they melt, you have fresh water.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:32:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sweep:

Originally Posted By firstelc:
Duct Tape. I can't count the time duct time has saved my butt camping. I also try to carry atleat 1.5 times more water than I drink usually. Check out some of the camping outfitters like campmor or rei. If it going to be cold, always remember a blatantly marked piss bottle for the tent(getting out of your warm sleeping back at night to take a piss is not fun.)

Missing the piss bottle and pissing in your sleeping bag is worse. I think I would brave the cold and shrinkage and just go outside.

Actually the piss bottle works great for me. That is because I can stand up inside the tent ON carpet so my feet are clean and comfortable when I go
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:33:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 2:34:09 PM EST by firstelc]

Originally Posted By Sweep:

Originally Posted By firstelc:

Missing the piss bottle and pissing in your sleeping bag is worse. I think I would brave the cold and shrinkage and just go outside.

That's why you buy the wide mouth(no pun intended) nalgene bottles, if you can't hit it from 1 inch away, just put it inside(aw hell this is getting wrong).
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:34:53 PM EST
Watch your eyes with the bungees though! A friend of mine lost his left eye because of one being let go accidently by his buddy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:35:46 PM EST
The car will be in reach
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:36:53 PM EST
For ice in the cooler we use 1/2 gallon cardboard juice cartons. If you fill a coleman cooler with them, the ice will keep more than a week in the shade.

How much you take depends on how far you have to carry it from the car. My camping goes from ultra deluxe tent camping to minimalist back packing. How much do you want to carry?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:38:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheKill:

A defensive firearm (where allowed).

Kimber 1911 TLE II !! Juss waiting to pick it up.

Thnx for all the quick replys fellas..Gonna buy alll the stuff on the weekend..

Keep em Commin boys!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:43:18 PM EST
Firewood!! and an AXE. quik chairs, sleeping bags, a book(in case you're the first one to wake up). Definitly take a sidearm, it is a BIG comfort to know that you've got 230 grns on your sie when that fire goes out and it gets real dark....your mind will play tricks on you.

Also take: Shovel, newspaper, a good knife, roasting sticks, marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers.

good luck and don't forget to post pics.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:43:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 3:01:56 PM EST by Misery]
Take plastic utensils and paper plates. Burn them, don't do dishes. Plenty of paper towels and some of that automotive GoJo cleaner for your hands. Hand lotion is a must, especially if it's cold or windy.

Sunscreen if you're prone to getting burned.

2 pair of shoes incase one gets wet. Make sure that at least one is made for hiking or camping.

Extra socks and maybe an extra set of cloths.

Batteries for lights and other things.

Bathroom stuff - razor, shaving cream (fun to shoot if you bring extra cans), toothbrush/paste, and whatever else you think you might need to clean up.

Cellphone - in case someone needs 911

Supplies for firearms - bore snake, CLP, small gun rag.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:45:22 PM EST
Ensolite ground pad and cot/air mattress and pump. Sleeping off the ground a few inches is so much warmer.
Knife to cut off your arm
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:54:03 PM EST
get a sleeping mat or you will sleep like shit. i camp in the sierras all of the time and you don't need to hang your food . most animals to worry about are small. any hard sided tote or cooler will be fine. camp, cook and shit/pee atleast 200 yards from any water. use block ice in your cooler. inly put wood in the fire ring, no trash or food. most important pick up and haul away all of your trash. other than that the other posts covered the rest. have fun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:55:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 2:56:45 PM EST by ovrtym]
Here's some stuff from my list. It's not complete and not in any particular order. Take what makes sense and what you think you might need. And don't forget the lawn chair. Enjoy!

Toothbrush/Toothpaste
Sun Glasses
First Aid Kit
Hiking Boots
Baseball Cap
Socks
Underwear
Thermal Tops
Thermal Bottoms
T-Shirts
Flannel/Sweat Shirts
Light weight jacket
Flashlight
Extra Batteries
Cigarette Lighter/Matches
Rain Poncho
Canteen/Water bottles
Binoculars
Space Blanket (small)
Knife
AR-15/ammo
Sig .45/ammo
Maps
Sleeping Bag
Pillow
Radio
Lantern
CoolerDuffel Bag
Day Pack
Jumper Cables
Small Shovel
Axe
Check tire air pressure
Check antifreeze
Check engine Oil
Check spare tire
Antifreeze
Tools
Tire Iron
Smokey Joe grill
charcoal/lighter fluid
paper plates
plastic knives/forks
plastic cups
pots/pans
dish soap
water
heavy trash bags
CAN OPENER
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:03:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:17:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By H3At:
Ok this will be the first time me and my friends wil be going camping and we need a check list on what to buy.

Some info for u guys.
& people will be going

Going end of october so it will be cooler

will might be camping in the desert next to a stream or just on BLM land

Got the tents.And thats about it.How do u guys store and keep cool all that food like meats.

And what other stuff do we need?

well, if you are in Cali, you'll need the following:

-Sleeping/accomodations
Fartsack (Sleeping bag)
coleman lantern...the one that runs on little propane bottles
-BTW get your propane for about 2 bucks at the local Wallyworld...they get expensive real quick when you get near camping...figure 1 bottle a night ought to do
pillow
sleeping pad or air pad
October will be past the Mosquito season so you will not need bug repellant
suntan lotion

-Food
food/cooler
-Eggs
-Bacon
-Salt/peper
-cheese
-burgers
-veggies (for salad and for cressing burgers)
-Condiments
-dogs
-buns
-bread
-lots of red meat: as a matter of fact I suggest you "load up" the night before you leave on a nice big steak...those things take a long time to digest and helps "plug up the pipes" so to speak...keeps you off the catholes for at least two days1

Shovel (Diggin' catholes)
Toilet paper
socks
clothes

Unless you know your campsite has big pieces of chopped wood, you might do well to bring your own firewood...
matches
Pots n pans
utensils

I suggest a small stove ...Campfires are notoriously inconvienient for cooking.

plastic utensiles
plates/bowls/cups
napkins
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:42:44 PM EST
3 important things FOOD/WATER/SHELTER. to be a happy camper you gotta eat well and be happy you gotta stay dry and warm and you gotta good way to keep from worrying about food going bad is get as much of the dried lipton type packages of carbs you can you can also get canned fish and already cooked meat(there packaged like albacore tuna) hambuger helper and othe stufff will work too so you can very it up. w/o a doubt you must have stake and patatos one night and if girls are along I guess you can include a salad and another must for eating is eggs and bacon one morning and pancakes another. water easy either take alot in like a 5 gallon container, take a water pump or iodine tablets and something to neutrilize there taste. and shelter is a tent keep it dry and zipped up clean your feet off before you get in or its going to be like sleepin outside in the dirt by the end of the week. now for my personal checklist.^^^^^^^+
-stove
-pots pans
-utinsals and stuff to eat out of drink off of
-food and sesonings(dont neglect little things like the value of salt and pepper,or hot choclate)
(ur also going to want alot of snacks)
-something to clean dishes with
-firewood
-lantern
-flash light or head lamps
-toilitries (TOOTHBRUSH, TOLIET PAPER, and WASHCLOTH WITH SOME SOAP are essietial add other things as needed)
-about 2 more extra sets of clothes than you think you are going to need(esp socks,and maybe rain gear)
-1 pair of shoes and one pair of sandels
-ground pad between you and floor ( I suggest if your just campin out of the back of your car to get some of the inflateable mattresses (6 inches thick) for best sleep)
- if it looks like its going to rain tarps to go over your common areas and also it is good to put them under your tent to keep any moisture from comming up through the bottom of the tent
-sleeping bags
-PILLOWS very annoying not to have
-water water water and maybe someother bevrages if you guys wana dehydrate yoursleves
-matches or lighter
-and I am tired of talkin
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:49:41 PM EST
Did anybody say camera? I think everything else is covered except for trip wires and claymores. Take care, be careful and have fun. Post pics when you get back!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:25:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:28:34 AM EST by H3At]
Should i use dry ice or reg ice to keep the meats and vegies cold?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:41:59 AM EST
Buy coolrs fill them with ice for your meat, then if by a stream set in the stream to keep it cooler(make sure it will stay in place by surrounding it with rocks!)

What esle you buy depends on how comfortable you want to be!

Remeber the good name brands: If you don't you can ened up replacing the gear three or four times compared to just getting good gear to begin with!

Some names that come to mind are:

Eureka(tents and such)

Coleman(get the dual fuel so you can use regular unleaded or white camp fuel) they make stoves lanterns and other good gear and camping appliances! Taken care of you will be handing your coleman stuff to your kids someday!

Forget all that bull shit stuff at wall mart, you do not need "CAmp soap" etc. just take your normal soap etc.

Bug sprays with lots and lots of DEET are your friends!(at least if you are in the woods!

Definatley take your sense of adventure and make up your mind you are going to have fun no matter what and don't sweat how rough it is! Thats why they call it roughing it!

Just some ideas!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:41:57 PM EST
A knife and a good set of boots . The rest is gravy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:51:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 2:54:16 PM EST by operatorerror]

Originally Posted By H3At:
The car will be in reach

Car camping. The sky's the limit! Freeze 2 liter bottles with the tops on for the coolers, keeps your stuff cold for a long time and provides clean drinking water. Always bring a water filter if you are not going to have a camp with running water. Just in case. Don't drink water directly from the stream unless you like diarrhea. All natural water must be filtered, at least in California.

Gee, can ya' tell that I've had some bad experiences with drinking water?

Lots of tequilla, red meat and chocolate. From the sounds of things you won't have to worry about bears. Just secure the coolers in the cars at night. Raccoons can easily open coolers.

Edited to add that you shouldn't pee in the tent. Get your lazy, drunk ass out of the bag and go far downwind.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:04:00 PM EST
Cool! thnx fellas!

BTW Since there will be no shitters around..How do u guys do your buisness??

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:13:29 PM EST

BTW Since there will be no shitters around..How do u guys do your buisness??

Squat & squeeze.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:18:51 PM EST
what are you going to be driving in??
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:19:53 PM EST
4X4 tundra
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:29:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 3:31:50 PM EST by Duffy]
Liquid soap (make sure you lock the nozzle or it'll squirt all over the place in transit ), TP (remove the cardboard tube to save room) in a zip bag, trash bags, junk food like chips between meals.
Keep yer boots inside the tent, lest spiders, scorpions or other crawlies go seek a warm place there at night
We go to the desert 3 times a year, while others bring all kinds of food and create a mess for later, I bring canned soup or MRE, easy to pack and nothing to clean afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:32:51 PM EST
Desert ?? Don't count on local water supply. In any case DON'T DRINK ANY WATER FROM STREAMS, ETC ANYWHEREIN CA. Giardia is almost everywhere. A ery good habit do start from the beginning is no smellables in the tent. This includes food, cosmetics, sunscreen, toothpaste, anything that may have a scent other than you. Why?? Bears go after smellables. And if that isn't enough, raccoons, possums, skunks, rats, mice, etc will go after them. Bears will rip big holes to get them, the others just gnaw through. If you take an iar matterss some kind of pump.

For a few days you don't need dry ice, in fact you do want the frozen stuff do defrost in a few days so you can use it. I make a chili where I brown the meat at home and freeze it and use it like ice after a few days it is defrosted enough to toss in the dutch oven.

Maybe Audubon books on Birds, Reptiles, Wildflowers, (later)

The local Harbor Freight has had their little Coleman lantern copy for $10 lately and I got one and it worked great. Nice and bright. BTW, do you know how to put mantles on? and fluff and burn them before running the gas through them to light the first time?

This is the master packing list I have developed, originally started when I was a Cubmaster and Scout leader when we took the boys to the desert. I took Ma Danby tent camping for the first time the end of August and it was updated after that. It is pointed toward me, the wife and 3 boys beach and surf-fishing. I think I edited that out but if you see something that makes no sense for the desert, that's why it's there If only two you don't need a big stove, etc. I have a pick-up so I have some extras to fill the room.

Tentage/furniture
Tents
ground clothes
bucket of stakes
Maul
hatchet
Dining Fly (needs to have grommets re-inforced)
ropes
Table
tablecloth
­clamps
Lanterns
propane bottles
batteries
Chairs
Sleeping Bags
Pillows
Extra Blankets
Air Mattresses