The trail heading out

Being by myself I put the camera on a rock and set the timer

That's a 20 round mag next to some seriously large bear scat. Fairly fresh also

A view of the Presidential Range and almost at the campsite

Tent all set up and campsite ready to go

Cooking dinner on my soda can stove

Looking down stream from the campsite

The campsite at night. Looks rather cozy

I found these on my way back home. That's a size 10 boot next to fresh bear tracks made the night I camped out

Hope you enjoy these as much as I do

AKASL
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:05:14 PM EDT
Nice pics.............I wish I could have gone with you.........soon tho!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:05:15 PM EDT
Looks like it was an awesome trip.
I am looking to get back out in the woods soon too.
Just got back from a trip in Colorado....plan to head out to a local state forest next month.

Thanks for sharing the pics...great motivator for me to get some things on my calendar!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:05:19 PM EDT
Nice pics, look like you managed just fine by yourself. Lots of quite time is a good thing once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 1:09:56 PM EDT by DzlBenz]
New Hampshire bears crap 20-round AR magazines!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:09:42 PM EDT
Those were good. I have backpacked 450 miles of the AT from Springer to VA line so I can appreciate altitude and remoteness.

Question: Do you normally backpack with an AR? Is it legal in the Natl. forests in NH to have that kinda weapon?. Just curious, I normally carry a small handgun tucked away out of sight (I guess it would do me any good in an emergency).

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:17:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:27:43 AM EDT
A very shameless bump

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:35:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hicap:
Those were good. I have backpacked 450 miles of the AT from Springer to VA line so I can appreciate altitude and remoteness.

Question: Do you normally backpack with an AR? Is it legal in the Natl. forests in NH to have that kinda weapon?. Just curious, I normally carry a small handgun tucked away out of sight (I guess it would do me any good in an emergency).

Last I checked , carry of any firearm, except for hunting season is illegal in National Parks.

as for National Forests , i am not sure. Anyone know ?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:38:44 AM EDT
What were you carrying for protection?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:40:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 9:41:34 AM EDT by mleaky]
Dude...I have that same tent. Best damn tent for the $$.

Good pics, I'm glad that last one wasn't a snap shot of a bear mauling you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:40:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:43:51 AM EDT
Last time I was at BWCA in Minasota (2003), Forest service ranger said Firearms were OK, just needed to tell them when getting entry permit ()...I tried a search on forest Service web site but havn't found any info one way or another...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:48:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rocky9_5:

Last I checked , carry of any firearm, except for hunting season is illegal in National Parks.

Q: Carry In National Forest
A: If you can legally carry in the state the National Forest is in you can carry in the National Forest. You can not carry into any buildings on the National Forest as they are owned by the Federal Government.

From www.packing.org/faq/
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:58:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rocky9_5:

National Parks require the firearm to be in a locked hard container with the ammo seperate. Additionally, you must declare all firearms when entering the park.

I always liked NH. I prefer backpacking with friends.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:04:20 AM EDT
I'm in MA and I hike a lot in NH, whereabouts were you camping?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:08:13 AM EDT
Hope you practiced good food discipline with bears coming that close to camp! We don't need to read about an Arfcommer getting mauled

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:25:14 AM EDT
Leave No Trace, Outdoor Ethics--you all should look it up. Not only is it safe (as a defense against bears) but it could be considered 'tactical'.

And in case you cared, it is environmentally friendly.

www.backpacker.com is a good resource for knowledge, www.campmor.com for gear.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:27:54 AM EDT

Being by myself I put the camera on a rock and set the timer
img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/AKASL/IM001316.jpg

OH MY GOD WHAT IS BONO DOING WALKING THE WOODS OF NEW HAPMSHIRE WITH AN AR?! WHO KNEW?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:41:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
New Hampshire bears crap 20-round AR magazines!
img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/AKASL/IM001318.jpg

bears...
Glad you had fun - i miss the trails
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:15:54 AM EDT
National Forest carry is a-ok, as long as it follows state law, AFAIK...that's how it is in Oregon anyway.

When my friends and I go up in the woods we open carry pistols and bring along the rifles as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:22:06 AM EDT
now that is something I could NEVER do - camp out by myself. Seen to many "Blar Witch" and "Signs" movies
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:32:20 PM EDT
Damn I miss NH! Looks like a good trip.
Top Top