Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:06 PM EDT
I'll be headed to either Leatherneck or Kandahar.

If any one can answer the following questions on either Kandahar and Leatherneck, I would appreciate it

Are folks living in tents or cans?
Are folks sleeping on cots or racks?
Is there internet available in the living spaces or just the MWR internet rooms?
How is the chow?
Is it possible to get socks and t-shirts at the PX?
What is laundry like?

Thanks

Monk
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:32:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I spent some time on KAF recently so i'll do what I can to help.

Are folks living in tents or cans? Both

Are folks sleeping on cots or racks? Both

Is there internet available in the living spaces or just the MWR internet rooms? There is wireless for about $90 a month, most people split it with someone.

How is the chow? Same as every other deployed chowhall but there are foreign chow halls that are good too, plus they have a couple fast food places.

Is it possible to get socks and t-shirts at the PX?  Yes, there are a couple PX's there.

What is laundry like?  Turn in to some stinky Kyrgystan dudes and get it back 2 days later.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Anybody at Leatherneck?

Monk
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If any one can answer the following questions on either Kandahar and Leatherneck, I would appreciate it

Is there internet available in the living spaces or just the MWR internet rooms?
How is the chow?
What is laundry like?

Thanks

Monk

I'm at Leatherneck 'till next month.

Pretty much the same as KAF for a Lot of stuff.

Tents/cans/and ten man hard billets. I've spent the whole time in a tent but I made that choice based on having more room to myself than in a chu.

Cots/racks/beds.  Tents have a mix but the hard billets and chu's have bunks.

Wireless internet IS here but, it's pretty hit or miss (IMHO).  Some guys seem to have pretty good luck with it but they live a LOT closer to
the source than I do.

Chow's chow, it's about what you'd expect. Main line, fast food line ect.  It could be a lot worse.  One thing here that's different from KAF is that
You can't just be-bop in while in PT's, the Marines want you in uniform in chow and at the PX.

The PX is "OK" but it's small considering how many people use it so expect to wait in line 10-20 minutes a lot of the time.  You can get socks and Marine T-shirts and PT gear but I've never looked for Army T's (?).  You should be able to use your ADO if you're short on T's.  There's also a couple of PX's and a pizza hut
over on Bastion.

Laundry in 72 hour turnover (Officially).  You can also do your own but you have to hit the washer/dryer areas pretty early.  I do mine while I screw around on ARFCOM.

Leatherneck's not too bad. It's the fifth place I've been stationed at over here and I like it better'n KAF but not as much as Geronimo or Wilson or Dwyer.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.

Monk
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the chow?
What is laundry like?

Thanks

Monk

Tents/cans/and ten man hard billets. I've spent the whole time in a tent but I made that choice based on having more room to myself than in a chu.

Wireless internet IS here but, it's pretty hit or miss (IMHO).  Some guys seem to have pretty good luck with it but they live a LOT closer to
the source than I do.

Chow's chow, it's about what you'd expect. Main line, fast food line ect.  It could be a lot worse.  One thing here that's different from KAF is that
You can't just be-bop in while in PT's, the Marines want you in uniform in chow and at the PX.

The PX is "OK" but it's small considering how many people use it so expect to wait in line 10-20 minutes a lot of the time.  You can get socks and Marine T-shirts and PT gear but I've never looked for Army T's (?).  You should be able to use your ADO if you're short on T's.  There's also a couple of PX's and a pizza hut
over on Bastion.

Laundry in 72 hour turnover (Officially).  You can also do your own but you have to hit the washer/dryer areas pretty early.  I do mine while I screw around on ARFCOM.

Leatherneck's not too bad. It's the fifth place I've been stationed at over here and I like it better'n KAF but not as much as Geronimo or Wilson or Dwyer.  

shit, I had no idea you were downrange!
Stay safe, have fun.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I just spent a year operating out of Leatherneck during the time I was there, I was all over RC South and Leatherneck is amazing as far as FOB's/Camps go over there, its not the wild west like Musacala and its not Garrison central like KAF.

The best thing about Leatherneck is the ability to get the fuck out of dodge, I'll let you know since you are a fellow Arfcommer If you ever get a day off and you don't feel like getting bothered for stupid shit, like random formations or any of the normal BS then just tell everyone your heading off to look for a quiet spot to read, take a couple of your friends "borrow" a vehicle and head over to bastion (the british post connected to leathneck) for the day, drink some slushies buy a "nuts" magazine and just chill out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the chow?
What is laundry like?

Thanks

Monk

the source than I do.

over on Bastion.

shit, I had no idea you were downrange!
Stay safe, have fun.

Thanks Sylvan

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top