Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 9:06:01 PM EDT
Wondering what's the best to use that does not require an airbrush(I know, duracoat's good, but don't want to buy an airbrush for one job). Will be camo'ing a Remington/Baikal SPR453 for goose hunting-receiver finish wears quickly on this model(at least on my example)-my only complaint about the shotgun. I figured if I'm going to refinish at all I might as well do camouflage if I can come up with something that won't wear off the first use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
how about just kryloning it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thought about krylon, but tried it on a degreased bolt action .410 and a .22-didn't work too well. The paint scratched too easily-maybe a coat of primer would help.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seem good results from alumahyde.

there is a refinishing forum
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
you can get a cheap airbrush at Harbor Freight for less than $10, i would suggest tearing apart the receiver, getting all the springs and pins and small parts out and sandblasting all the surfaces that you want to refinish.  that will give the paint more grip on the metal.  I use duracoat only, i don't do Krylon or any other paints.  I have a Glock 17 that I did over 5 years ago, carried alot and it still looks great, no wear on the paint.  If you can't blast it, scuff it with some fine grit sandpaper.  Also, with any paint job, prep is the most important step.  buy a couple cans of wally-world brake parts cleaner and completely de-grease the gun, when you think you are done, do it again.  Tape off anything you don't want to spray, and have fun.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I said it with Krylon. Detailed instructions are in the refinishing forum under "pinestraw strikes again."

It's not the toughest finish you will find, it will wear, but who cares. Keep some paint around and just touch it up from time to time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top