Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2005 6:02:03 PM EDT
I've noticed cameras on top of several traffic lights around here.

At first I thought that they might be red light enforcement cameras. But then I noticed that the cameras are not aimed at the intersection, where red light violations occur. The cameras are aimed down the street.

Also, I've not heard anything about red light enforcement cameras in this area, and in the areas that have them, they are publicized.

I then noticed that the pavement at these intersections does not have lines in it from having traffic sensors installed in the pavement.

Is there new technology that uses cameras to sense approaching traffic to change the signal lights to green?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:03:25 PM EDT
dude, they're sensors to determine when to turn the light green.

not cameras.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:04:14 PM EDT
They may not be cameras at all, but rather sensors to pick up the signal from authorized emergency vehicles to change the lights to all red.

Ask your city's traffic department what they are and how they work. I'm sure that there's an Engineer I who would love to explain it to you. Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:04:45 PM EDT
They are normaly used to monitor traffic flow, and to try to adjust the signals.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:05:08 PM EDT
Wouldn't be down around Lake Mead and Boulder in Henderson would it? Those have been there for a while, and we ARE WATCHING YOU..

There is traffic recognition software and vision systems that can alter the timing of the lights, and in reality, I first noticed cameras in Vegas about 8 years ago.....Metro keeping you safe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:05:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:06:01 PM EDT
Probably are for changing the lights.

Once people get used to them they learn to move up a little to change the "picture" so the light will change if it hasn't.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:09:01 PM EDT
I thought that the sensors to change the light for emergency vehicles were those small black things on the traffic light with a couple of horizontal short black tubes on them (?)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:09:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:
Wouldn't be down around Lake Mead and Boulder in Henderson would it? Those have been there for a while, and we ARE WATCHING YOU..

There is traffic recognition software and vision systems that can alter the timing of the lights, and in reality, I first noticed cameras in Vegas about 8 years ago.....Metro keeping you safe.

Nope, this is in Fernley, 30 miles east of Reno
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:10:14 PM EDT
From a municipal site here in MI,

Can the cameras at the intersection see me?

No, the cameras detect a change in contrast in the area it is focused toward. It counts vehicles that pass under it and no video image is processed. The cameras do not have remote zoom or pan capabilities.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:13:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:

Nope, this is in Fernley, 30 miles east of Reno

Holy crap! That is the middle of Nowhere! My wife's grandmother and her half brother and sister live in Silver Springs.

What the fuck would anyone want to watch in Fernley
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:28:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By COZ:
Probably are for changing the lights.

Once people get used to them they learn to move up a little to change the "picture" so the light will change if it hasn't.

Yep. We've got one intersection in town with them and at night they don't pick up my dark colored car. It's faster to get out, run across the street, hit the ped. button and rush back to the car before the light turns green.

But I have been temped to aim my genuine, imitation surefire flashlight at the sensor and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:32:56 PM EDT
http://www.themirt.com/how.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:36:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
I've noticed cameras on top of several traffic lights around here.

At first I thought that they might be red light enforcement cameras. But then I noticed that the cameras are not aimed at the intersection, where red light violations occur. The cameras are aimed down the street.

Also, I've not heard anything about red light enforcement cameras in this area, and in the areas that have them, they are publicized.

I then noticed that the pavement at these intersections does not have lines in it from having traffic sensors installed in the pavement.

Is there new technology that uses cameras to sense approaching traffic to change the signal lights to green?

They're Opticom sensors.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:13:33 AM EDT
They are cameras, They replaced the old magnetic loop detectors in the pavement. They are adjusted for zones and are the eyes of the controller. The controller can be adjusted for time of various lanes. Simple traffic actuation, sometimes they do act up or don't pick up small cars. It can get wild when paving through an intersection. By the way I work for Texas Dept of Transportation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:26:50 AM EDT
They're watching you.

Tinfoil hat on.
Top Top