Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 2:14:32 PM EDT
For a month I was debating between a Nikon 3200 and a Canon T3i, I was leaning towards the 3200 because it just felt better in my hand.  I was waiting for this weekend to see if any deals popped up.  I was just going to get which ever deal was better.

Well a deal did pop up, a D7000 for $900 shipped.  If anyone else is interested,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D7000-DSLR-Camera-w-Nikon-18-105mm-f-3-5-5-6G-DX-VR-AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-Lens-/360512366184  

At that price I couldn't pass it up.  It is way more camera than I need and I have no idea how to use it.  Can someone point me in the direction of getting the most out of it, book/website.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a D7000 on Black Friday right after they came out. it's a great camera and you won't be sorry.

Join a local camera club and get with the Nikon guys in the club.  Take a couple of local photography classes and have fun.  Short of going to a dedicated photo school, it's the best way I have found to learn, and it's relatively inexpensive, and you will make a whole new set of friends.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow that is a great deal- good score! I urge you to ask any questions you have here or snoop the excellent forums at dpreview.com. It's the Arfcom of digital photo forums.

Here's their comprehensive review of your camera.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Understanding Exposure.  It's a book.  GET IT.  READ IT.  Definitely worth going through.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
For understanding the menus of the D7000 and getting a starting point for some settings, Ken Rockwell's page on it is pretty good actually (minus the part about leaving it in AF-A all the time –– I would suggest maintaining more control over the AF by choosing AF-C or AF-S as necessary).

I also bought Darrel Young's book when I got my D7000, and it is worth the $20. He gives a lot of suggestions for optimum settings, and explains his choices, as well as the alternatives.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For a month I was debating between a Nikon 3200 and a Canon T3i, I was leaning towards the 3200 because it just felt better in my hand.  I was waiting for this weekend to see if any deals popped up.  I was just going to get which ever deal was better.

Well a deal did pop up, a D7000 for $900 shipped.  If anyone else is interested,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D7000-DSLR-Camera-w-Nikon-18-105mm-f-3-5-5-6G-DX-VR-AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-Lens-/360512366184  

At that price I couldn't pass it up.  It is way more camera than I need and I have no idea how to use it.  Can someone point me in the direction of getting the most out of it, book/website.  

Thanks in advance.

Start using it, best way to learn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top