Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 2:47:44 PM EDT
I need a decent digital camera for my tarpon guide service and to use  for other wildlife shots. Action shots, stills and moderately long range.

I need to keep the price(with lens) to under $1,000.

Looking at Nikon D70 and D100 on ebay.

Many sites claim to have "demo" cameras that have never been sold, but when you pin them down- they will state,"factory refurbs".

Help!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm saving for the Nikon D50 - you might want to look at it. SLR and for under a 1000 you can get it with two lenses from bestbuy IIRC. Very good camera from all the reviews I've read.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Try this method too...never know you might get lucky...

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=560808&highlight_key=y&keyword1=d50
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Most will say Canon (Digital Rebel XT) or one of the Nikons you're looking at.

There's a cheaper alternative that's not a bad choice for convenience sake.  Check out the Panasonic FZ30, around $5-600.  They may have a newer model by now but I didn't find one.

www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/

It has an equivalent 12x (that's 35-420mm) lens thats Leica Vario-Elmarit branded.  Leica's are very high quality lenses.  This one lens will serve many purposes.

I have a Canon 20D which would be a little above the $1000 you're mentioning.

I'm pretty sure that even with the Nikon or Canon you will be over $1000 with a decent telephoto and wide angle, even if the Wide Angle is the kit lens.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged. I just got back from Staples. I was going to buy an HP they had advertised for 79.99, but all three were gone.

Saw a couple for 150.00, but I punted.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Your lense for action shots and wildlife will cost a pretty penny. For Nikon, get the D50 or D70s and get a fast telephoto for your action shots and wildlife. Ditto for Canon, the Rebel XT will be a good enough camera. Where in Texas are you? If you are in the DFW area, you can check out my D50 and lense set-up (a 18-70mm zoom and the awesome 70-200mm VR lense). In cameras, you get what you pay for. Spend more on your glass and the cheaper bodies will be good enough. I don't think you need the more expensive bodies. It is analogous to scopes. The better scopes certainly look better, but cost more. Better lenses will be more expensive, last longer, and get better pictures.

Edit: I wouldn't get the D100. It is an outdated camera with old technology. The D70s is a much better camera.

Note: There are two versions of the D70, the D70 and the improved D70s. Try to get the "s" version if possible. USB 2.0 transfer, larger screen, and other minor improvments.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can get a D100 really cheap, it's a nice camera (I have one), but the D70s is better, or if you can afford the D200, get that.  That is assuming you want Nikon.  Canon has some nice dSLRs too.  Read up on doreview.com and nikonians for nikon info.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Gentlemen,
I thank you for the information! (Please keep it coming!)

I need to add a little ore info.......

I need something with a very fast shutter speed and FAST "shot to shot" capability. Several fast shots in a series.

Example: A 150# tarpon coming out of the water at a range of 50-75 yards..  I can generally tell when they are coming up to walk by watching the line.  I probably won't have time to even think about looking through the viewfinder; so I'll have to learn to "point shoot", kinda like wingshooting with a shotgun.

Again, I do appreciate the info!

If anyone is interested in a "brother-in-law" tarpon fishing trip to SW Florida this summer, let me know!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I still the the D70s is your best bet for the money you want to spend.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I personally would be way too paranoid of getting my camera wet with sea water.
waterproof camera that won't bankrupt you
Not great for long range but if it gets wet you aren't SOL.

The OptioWPi features a rust-resistant metal exterior, rubber sealants, and lens protection that opens up a world of photographic potential. Shoot in rain, in snow, in the pool, or on the beach to capture outdoor scenes and adventures. The JIS Class 8 waterproof rating confirms the OptioWPi will remain watertight even when the camera is used in water at a depth of up to 5 feet (1.5m) for as long as 30 minutes

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a Nikon guy.  I'm not a professional but just a guy that likes to shoot good pics.
I have a Nikon 35mm film SLR with four lenses and filter attachments.
I also have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 as a digital camera.
My next camera will be the D70.

The Cannon is also a great camera and you wont go wrong with that one either.

If it wasn't for the fact that I already have four Nikon lenes it would be a hard decision for me to decide between the Nikon or the Cannon.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Gentlemen,
I thank you for the information! (Please keep it coming!)

I need to add a little ore info.......

I need something with a very fast shutter speed and FAST "shot to shot" capability. Several fast shots in a series.

Example: A 150# tarpon coming out of the water at a range of 50-75 yards..  I can generally tell when they are coming up to walk by watching the line.  I probably won't have time to even think about looking through the viewfinder; so I'll have to learn to "point shoot", kinda like wingshooting with a shotgun.

Again, I do appreciate the info!

If anyone is interested in a "brother-in-law" tarpon fishing trip to SW Florida this summer, let me know!

That point and shoot method is extremely difficult to learn if you want close up shots, but fairly easy with a wider angle lense. But a telephoto with that kind of speed at focusing would also be expensive. Practice, practice, practice. Same thing with shooting.
The autofocus system on the Canon cameras are also reported to be ever so slightly better than Nikon.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Michaux if I were down your way I'd barter my photography for your guide services

and to answer your question (sort of)...you're going to need A LOT of luck to get a shot of a jumping tarpon with any point and shoot camera.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
A Cannon Power Shot.
S1 IS
or S2 IS

Fast start up
Many features
Great zoom
Fast Shutter

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Nikon D50 and I am quite impressed with it.  Buydig.com had a decent price on them.  Now all I have to do is figure out which lens I want to get for the long range stuff.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm kind of in the same boat, I have some canon lenses I think my work with the rebel but I'm not sure, they are OK lenses but not the best, they don't have image stabilization. One think I've learned the hard way is to get the lower end camera and get really good lenses. A fast zoom lense will set you back a pretty penny but will make those action fishing shots a lot easier. I got a telephoto lens but couldn't afford a fast one, it's nice to be able to take shots of birds but the slow lens is a pretty big setback.

Hell, film is a bigger setback. I had big dental bills this past year and then my HVAC went out and I had to get a whole new system. I'm pretty tapped out right now but I'm racking my brain to find something to cut back on so I can afford a new camera. I used to really be into photography but knowing that every time I snap the shutter it's costing me money causes me to leave it at home. If you are really into challenging subjects like birds in flight and bugs faces you can really burn up some film trying to get that perfect shot.

I saw a nikon d50 for a very reasonable price somewhere, it was when I was browsing dpreview.com. I'm looking at that one real hard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top