Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 6:42:40 AM EDT
The sister is having a baby...

She called, and said she needs a camcorder to record the main event...
I strolled over to the land of the big BX, and there were 15 or so models.

Which camcorder should I buy

I was thinking a JVC GR D250 US.  Costs $239., not too bad a price I figure.
Will the images be shitty, shaky little pictures?
It uses the mini DV format.
Is the Mini DV format worth buying into?
Is it an all digital format, that can easily interface with a PC?
Should I consider buying something else?

My sister is computer savy, so I want her to be able to make DVDs on the computer.
I also want her to be able to send little video clips, etc.

When it comes to camcorders I am clueless. I take pictures, not movies.
I have no interest in owning a camcorder. The last time I looked at camcorders, they sat over your shoulder, used VHS or BETA tapes and cost several thousand dollars.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Mini DV format so far (only been using it for a couple of years now).

I went with the Sony DCR-HC30 because I like Sony cameras and that one seemed like a good balance between price and performance.  I am no videographer - I just want footage of the family, events, vacations, etc. (basically, the application you're describing).  It is very light & compact but has a nice large viewscreen.  I've been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep the suggestions coming...
I dont want to spend a lot of cash... but I dont mind paying for quality...
Need to find the right ballance. Prices of these things range from $100 to $3000.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to camcorderinfo.com.  Read the reviews.

Check out dealnews.com.  Right now you can get a Canon ZR-300 for around $290 after rebate from Dell.  That is supposed to be a decent camcorder.

From what I can tell the Panasonic GS-35 is the best one out there in my $400 price range.  I'm just shopping for a good deal on one.

I'd avoid the JVC.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... Buy an extra battery.

Or two.  Good advice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:31:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I narowed it down to a Canon Elura 85 or a Sony DCR-HC42.

I think the Canon is a little better value for the money.
I can get the camera, spare battery, UV filter, cleaning tape, and 4 DV cassettes for around $550 inlcuding shipping from B&H.
Not a bad deal IMHO.
How reliable are these things? Any horror stories I need to know about?

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I reccomend the Sony HC42, it also has a megapixel still camera built in that takes pretty good pics. Any of the HC models are great, just some less/different features. Get an extra battery, charger, Memory stick and a wide angle lens.

ETA: For 239 and a MiniDV cam, you cant really go wrong. It will do what you need it to.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the SONY DCR HC-40 and it is sweet - however it has only a 1MP camera - but they have newer versions on the same platform such as the HC42 stated above, which has a wider LCD screen and 1MP camera.  There are Sony video cameras that are up to 3.3MP now for the still shots.
Beware of the bastard accessory shoes on the newer sony cameras....

bhphoto.com is the best place to buy camera stuff
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Canon 20D, and I absolutely love it, no complaints
So I figured Canon might be the way to go.

Then I read some of the Canon user forums.. Quality of Canon consumer video cameras seems to be in the hit or miss department. Issues with tapes jamming, motor noise, etc. I figured that I had better stay away from them, even though they seemed to be a better value. Best to spend a little more and buy a Sony... There stuff is usually pretty well made.

AAFES wanted $100 more for the same camera than B&H.

B&H seems to be a first class outfit, so I bought from them.

I went with the Sony HC42, a spare large capacity battery, 4 tapes and UV filter. All for $585 delivered.

My wallet is not happy, but I am sure the sister will be

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top