Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:54:06 AM EDT
I have one, but hardly use it. However my sister who is not so "technical minded" wants one.

Is everything mini DV now, and the best way to go?
Mine records to Hi 8 tape.

Any recommendations for a simple camcorder?
She does have a DVD player.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Sony. They are well made and dummy proof.

The format can vary. Anything from Hi8 to digi8 to mini-dv will give good results. If she isn't worried about having spectacular quality, I'd go with Digital8 and save some money.

But if she wants extra sharp images and vivid colors, shop Ebay for a Sony TRV-900. This is an extremely high quality consumer digital vidcam. It's also expensive and no longer in production, but it's a far better cam than the TRV950 that replaced it. The TRV950 doesn't do very well in low light.

And if simplicity is key, I'm pretty sure they have cams now that also record straight to DVD, yet I've never used these types and can't comment on the quality.

-CH
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
some types can record to hard drive, in fact if it has firewire there are hard drives available for liek 3hr recording, and it fits on your belt like an ipod
the pro ones actually dock onto the camera

check out bhphoto.com
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
We have a JVC Mini DV.I like ours allot.

The neatest thing is to hook up a firewire between it and the computer and store the videos on the hard drive.

DO NOT buy one that burns straight to DVD.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, will pass along the information!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#6]
one last bump,

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top