Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 9:05:48 PM EDT

I took this pic by the tracks at a cement plant. Is it a switch?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 9:24:34 PM EDT by Manic_Moran]
Could be an old turnout indicator. I'd need to see a less-close-in picture that shows the environs and any connections to the tracks. If it is a turnout indicator, it is missing the nice bright panel which fits up top. Basically it rotates 90 degrees, and the panel would be either visible, or side-on depending on what way the swtich is set.

[Edit]Then again, there is a 1991 stamp on the bottom portion. Hmm.... OK. I'm talking out my arse.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:26:58 PM EDT
No other pic. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:49:06 PM EDT
It's not a switchstand (a switchstand being defined as the mechanism used by a worker to throw a switch) you couldn't get enough torque on it to throw it. I would bet that it is an indicator of some kind, although it appears that the flag or placard that might be on top to show colors or a shape visible at a distance is missing. This assumes there is a switchstand on the other side of the track or a remotely controlled switchmachine or throwing mechanism present.

The purpose of the object being to give trainmen an indication of the switch position from a distance. An educated guess. I've never seen one, but the location and base sure make it a reasonable guess.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:23:01 AM EDT
Nice pic, it looks like some kind of RR thing. Mayber Boomer or Simonh or some other RR employee will come along and tell you what it is.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:33:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 1:12:45 AM EDT by FishKepr]

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:
Could be an old turnout indicator. I'd need to see a less-close-in picture that shows the environs and any connections to the tracks.

NTM

Yeah. This pic is a little like looking at an elephant through a microscope.

ETA: A maintenence-of-way guy could probably ID it though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:18:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PaDanby:
It's not a switchstand (a switchstand being defined as the mechanism used by a worker to throw a switch) you couldn't get enough torque on it to throw it. I would bet that it is an indicator of some kind, although it appears that the flag or placard that might be on top to show colors or a shape visible at a distance is missing. This assumes there is a switchstand on the other side of the track or a remotely controlled switchmachine or throwing mechanism present.

The purpose of the object being to give trainmen an indication of the switch position from a distance. An educated guess. I've never seen one, but the location and base sure make it a reasonable guess.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:28:12 AM EDT
It is part of a switch stand...coworker sent me the pic...

ByteTheBullet (-:

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:21:54 AM EDT
ByteTheBullet, thanks a lot!
Top Top