Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 3:57:06 AM EDT
How do you like them? I talked to a guy who owns the " Scout " model. When we started talking about recoil, he said that it kicks like a AR15 carbine. ?? Sounds a little strange to me, but is this correct? He doesn't reload, says he uses the surplus ammo. If it's correct, maybe I need to start saving now. your input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a M1A Scout.  Recoil is mild becuase it's a heavy rifle and has a muzzle break.  my AK actually has worse recoil than my M1A.  BTW; perceived recoil is largely a matter of stock fit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Mrs. Different loves her M1A Scout.  She's 4 ' 11 " and weighs less than 100 pounds.  She has no problem with the recoil at all.  If you get a M1A carbine, I suggest the Scout or Bush instead of the SOCOM 16.  I think the 18 " barrel is just right.  Put a Smith Enterprise Sommers Vortex on it and you're good to go.  All State AW Ban laws apply.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]
The SOCOM 16 is one butt-ugly rifle. Springfield took perhaps the finest looking rifle in the world and literally butchered it.

Why not make similiar updates (accessories rail, etc) to a standard M1A?

Oh yeah, AFTER they start using quality parts in their rifles again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I love mine! Like Different says, the 18" barrel is just right.
I'm having the stock painted a MARPAT camo. Saw one the other day online, it's the cat's ass!

But yes, the Scouts are nice rifles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 If you get a M1A carbine, I suggest the Scout or Bush instead of the SOCOM 16.  I think the 18 " barrel is just right.  Put a Smith Enterprise Sommers Vortex on it and you're good to go.  All State AW Ban laws apply.  

I agree. My scout is only a hair longer than the SOCOM with the mods (gas lock sight, Vortex, Law483 short LOP stock) and has 2 more inches of barrel.
Recoil is very mild even without the brake.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got an Aimpoint equipped Scout.  I love it.  Recoil is in the same neighborhood as my Yugo SKS with its PRK approved brake in place of the standard grenade launcher.

Shooting prone off a bipod I can put 100's of rounds downrange with the M1A without any bother.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Aesthetically, I prefer the Bush rifle over the other two. I hope they resume production of the folding stock...just because it is legal now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a scout recoil is all in the mind.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Own a scout, love it. Recoil very lite to me,one of the most accurate iron site rifles i've shot. I prefer the wood stock

Roy
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top