Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2016 6:03:27 PM EDT
Hi Guys...

A decade ago (or more) I worked at the local community college.  As a benefit, I could take classes for free.  And I took a  basic machining class, and loved it.

Years later I came into a decent deal on a lathe.  I am in the process of pulling together tooling.  When in class, we hand sharpened/ground HSS cutting tools.  Usually about a 3/8 x 3/8x 4" tool.  I can remember that the instructor had a small, sheet metal gauge that had just about every angle on it...  side relief, edge relief, back  and side rake,...  This gauge wasn't more than maybe an inch wide, perhaps two long.  I'm sure that with time you pro's can likely just eyeball it and get a decent tool.  But for total noob me, the gauge was a great learning tool.  I could be wrong, but I always thought good tool helped for better work.

Question:  What the hell was that thing called? I could be confused, but I thought a lot of the angles were on this one tool, not just the 60 degrees or whatever I see on thread gauges.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:08:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:14:00 PM EDT

This thing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top