Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2009 1:17:35 PM EDT
That time of year again, spending the weekend doing the impellers on all the outboards.

I'm having trouble I've never experienced before with my 98 135 2-stroke. The lower unit came off easily enough, but will NOT go back in. Checking the underside of the powerhead with a flashlight reveals a loose ring or spacer moving around and blocking the hole in the powerhead. I can flip it around quite easily with a long cleaning rod, but it will not stay out of the way of the driveshaft when I try and install it. For the life of me I cannot figure a purpose for the thing. It looks for all the world like a loose piece just dropped from the motor. Nothing like it shows on the schematics.

Any ideas on what this thing is and how to get it out of the way? I've never had this difficulty before, is it a piece of a broken spacer or collet?  I REALLY do not want to pull the powerhead off this motor, any other way to access it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top