Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 8:56:37 AM EDT
I have a little "fishing tourny" coming up soon. A friend's boss hosts this little tourny every year to get all the channel cats out of his pond.
They have several stations set up, and every hour they blow a horn - and we switch to the next spot.

It's pretty fun, and they have 2 prizes:
$250 for most weight (put all the channel cat in a bucket and well..you get the idea)
$250 for biggest Channel cat (fish cannot be used in combination with the other contest)

Last year some guy won both. He was using chicken hearts and livers if I remember correctly.
We had worms, shrimp and stink bait....we came close to last, but were catching all morning. We stopped getting any bites as the day wore on.

So basically I want to know:
What is the best bait to use on Channel Cat?

ETA: what's the best method? How high to set the cork? Any tricks?

We aren't exactly seasoned fishermen here
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]
chicken liver works great out here, I stick it on a treble hook and let it sit on the bottom
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the commercial fishermen around here use honey bees.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
use a slip cork, set for the bottom of the pond..

use several rods..with several baits..
livers, red worms..etc..
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
use a slip cork, set for the bottom of the pond..

use several rods..with several baits..
livers, red worms..etc..

AHhh... we are only allowed one pole in the water at a time per person.

My bro-in-law says crawfish are the way to go
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
can you run a multi hook crappie rig?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always had my best luck w/ a treble and chicken livers....

Damn...how big is your boss' pond and how many entrants are there?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah, one guy had some "rig" with several hooks. As long as you use one pole to cast it....seems to be ok.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've always had my best luck w/ a treble and chicken livers....

Damn...how big is your boss' pond and how many entrants are there?

It's big enough that you have to slightly yell to everyone when you have something to say. Does that give you an idea? LOL

entrants? I have no idea.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I heard little illegal Mexican kids work real well! You gotta thread them on the hook just right!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By John Parker:
I heard little illegal Mexican kids work real well! You gotta thread them on the hook just right!

If he uses that, at least he won't run out of bait.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, one guy had some "rig" with several hooks. As long as you use one pole to cast it....seems to be ok.

well then rig up one of those and put a few different types of bait on it, cant go wrong!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]
large night crawlers are your best bet.  I fish all the time and have had the best luck with them.  Treble hook will get you hung up alot if there is anything in the tank.  Also, there are catfish hooks that work the best that a angled to catch the cat in the corner of the mouth.  Check your local fishing section near the catfish bait.  Good Luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top