Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 3:39:10 PM EDT
I know this thread has kept you on the edge of your seat all evening.  Searching through some bug sites yeilded results that eluded the hive mind.  I believe they are called "mining bees" and they are docile and present no threat.  They don't work in hives, they build individual nests near each other.  They like the sandy, dry areas they have chosen to nest in.

So what the heck are these things?

They have been multiplying rapidly.  About two weeks ago I first noticed them.  They are in my back yard.  They cirle around low to the ground when they fly.  They are capable of rapid flight to avoid the can of RAID.  If you can land it on them, it will kill them, however there are hundreds of them and raid is four bucks a can and only lasts about 20 seconds.

These flying insects are building lots of little nests in the ground.  Some have a mound of dirt around the entrance, some do not.  

I nuked the area saturday with raid and about 15 lbs of Sevin (carbaryl).  It did nothing.  They might be building their mounds out of the stuff.  Today there are easily twice as many nests.  

The insects do not seem aggressive and don't sting.  I've driven my lawnmower through them, laid down bug killier walking around all over with them... they don't seem to care.  

The bugs are black, they have a yellow furry patch on the part behind the head.  Those are the best pictures I can do with my camera.  The bugs have some sand on them from rolling around on the ground to die.  

My soil is sandy in the back yard.  They like those areas best I think.  

Do I need to unass the A.O.?

Kill them with fire?

Call terminix?

Run around and scream like a little girl?

Get an anteater?

Ask DrFriDge to borrow his spider collection?

Ignore the problem entirely?

EDIT to correct my title because I used the wrong word.  Blame public schools.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Nuke from orbit!

Looks like sweat bees or somethin.

ETA: Total thread fail, poll and all, with no nuke from orbit option.. Try again!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
And you want an anthropologist because...............
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
After reading the thread title requesting 'anthropologists,' this was totally not what I was expecting.

PS remember, fire in 3 second bursts like a professional, and you'll also save ammo Raid that way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And you want an anthropologist because...............

+1

Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
How's an Anthropologist going to help you?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]
You mean archeologist.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude, they look like quarters to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe he wants one in the sense of.............. fuck I have no idea!

Maybe he meant Entomology?????
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You mean archeologist.

cuz they study dead things!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe he wants one in the sense of.............. fuck I have no idea!

Maybe he meant Entomology?????

Here we go.

And, just 'cuz, this thread needs more big words.

HYMENOPTERA

I have always wanted to use that in a post.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
These flying insects are building lots of little nests in the ground. Some have a mound of dirt around the entrance, some do not.

This COULD have a direct correlation to the physical, social, and cultural development of humans.

If one wanted it to bad enough!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
brake cleaner is good stuff to use on hives in general.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, now that you've requested the right science, they are insects

There ya go!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I want the entomologist perk so I can do an additional 30% damage to insects (which strangely includes giant arachnids) too!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
So does anyone know what these bugs are yet?  Are they going to eat my house or what?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So does anyone know what these bugs are yet?  Are they going to eat my house or what?

If they have little yellow spots on forehead, than they are Carpenter Bees.  Will drill perfectly round holes in wood.  You Do Not Want.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Sevin sucks, scrounge up some Diazanon [sp] from some smaller hardware store and sprinkle a bit on the top of each mound. It'll clean them out ASAP. Chloridane would be better but it's TOO good so it went bye bye years ago. [I am somewhat stingy with what I have, it takes VERY little to do the job]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Look like some type of fly.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#21]
You want someone to color your hair? Entymolgist? Or antimologist?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If they do not show up on this list, you're probably ok.

If they do show up on this list, you need to start putting distance between them and you RIGHT NOW.  Do not look back.  Do not attempt to salvage anything from your past life, past life being defined as prior to right this minute.  You have been warned.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#24]
These are much smaller than carpenter bees.  Carpenter bees are chubby, kinda round.  These guys are long and skinny.  They also always fly low to the ground.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what the heck are these things?

A napkin, a quarter, some loose tobacco, and a couple of bugs.

What do I win?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#26]
You win a glass of FAIL.  Drink it up.  Now tell me what type of insects those are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top