Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:18:56 AM EST
I am currently using ATT's DSL. I am limited to less than 3 Mbps connection speed, but the data itself is unlimited.

This is slow as shit when you have myself (online gaming, etc), my wife watching hulu/netflix on the TV and son/stepson running laptops and tablets watching TV/gaming, etc.

The local cable company has offering of 20 Mbps for less money. But is limited to 250 GB of data each month.

I would like to be able to tell if this is a reasonable limit. I think it is, but I am not sure of our monthly usage.

Is there something that I can install on my laptop that can monitor the whole connection, not just the laptops.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:19:59 AM EST
No, you need to monitor activity at the router level. What type of router do you have - as it may already have that as a builtin feature?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:20:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By Redneck_in_Texas:
I am currently using ATT's DSL. I am limited to less than 3 Mbps connection speed, but the data itself is unlimited.

This is slow as shit when you have myself (online gaming, etc), my wife watching hulu/netflix on the TV and son/stepson running laptops and tablets watching TV/gaming, etc.

The local cable company has offering of 20 Mbps for less money. But is limited to 250 GB of data each month.

I would like to be able to tell if this is a reasonable limit. I think it is, but I am not sure of our monthly usage.

Is there something that I can install on my laptop that can monitor the whole connection, not just the laptops.
View Quote

Movies/netfix in HD gonna eat that pretty quickly
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:23:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/24/2013 9:26:03 AM EST by mEnTL32]
Some routers will do that. dd-wrt does.

ETA: I run a publicly-available connection, and I don't do 250gb/month. I use netflix too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:33:41 AM EST
It is a little cisco router box that came with the DSL service. I'll look at it when I get off work. Maybe it has a counter on it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:39:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/24/2013 9:40:25 AM EST by wh1plash]
Honestly unless you're really an outlier as far as the ISP goes, I don't think you'll have a problem. 250GB isn't really uncommon, and other ISPs are known to heavily throttle your connection if you're going over that anyway. A lot of people use Netflix and the like now, so I don't think that's quite as big a deal as you think. The people they're really trying to shut down are the hardcore bittorrent and filesharing folks.

Granted, I'm not pro-ISP in any way and caps suck in general. But like I say, if you're not an outlier, those rules probably won't get in your way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:42:24 AM EST
There is no way that I could stay under that 250GB a month.

Research
Sophos
PFSense
Untangle

All will give you usage stats and provide you with a bunch of security.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:46:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/24/2013 10:47:52 AM EST by Alpaca]
Buy this router http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374695091&sr=8-2&keywords=rtn-66u

Then install Tomato firmware. I use the shibby version, which is available here: http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=119

You are probably well under 250GB now. Unless you are streaming 4 or 5 hours a day of TV and downloading a lot of other crap, you won't be hitting 250GB.
Top Top