Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2002 8:07:43 PM EDT
Been on this site for several years now, and how time flys. I've met lots of you at the range and special events. Even at the DOJ hearings prior to implementation of SB23. Seems we have lots of new Cali members since I came aboard, but most of you remain unknown. I thought it might be nice to hear where people are at. There are quite a few in Socal that know each other, and likewise a bunch of us in Norcal. But there are a lot scattered through the rest of the state that are rarely met. So how about it? Where are you guys from?

And for those paranoid types, if you hang out at this site, if the powers that be wanted to know where you are they would. I've already been videoed and photographed at the DOJ hearings, and fingerprinted, so here I am.

I live in a rural area in the Sierra Nevada Mtns. known as Pollock Pines. 12 miles east of Placerville (Old Hangtown) and about 50 miles east of Sacramento. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where guns are common, the LEO are friendly, and I can shoot off my back deck. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Live in Santa Barbara, it’s a nice place to live but the community isn’t very gun friendly around here, not to mention that everything here costs at least 5% more just because it’s Santa Barbara.  SB is about 100 miles north of LA.

If I wanted to just shoot for fun outside my home, or in my home for that matter I would have to get city zoning to permit it.  That would require a vote by the zoning board and so on a so forth.  Firing ranges are kind of scarce around here, so if anyone has a link to a built a firing range in your garage then by all means post it [:D].
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'm no longer in CA but I do call it home. My family is still there and so is the majority of my close friends. My younger days were spent in Stockton, where my bro and mom still lives. My teens were spent in S.F. and my adult life spent in So Orange County, CA mainly Lake Forest/Mission Viejo area. I have met a lot of the SoCal contingent and miss our shoots. But I can live vicariously through the pics posted.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm currently attending school in Arcata (10 min north of Eureka, which is about 6 hours north of San Francisco).  My home is in Clovis.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Santa Rosa, for a few months more anyway. Nevada, here I come. I won't say freedom is the main reason I'm moving, but it is the reason I made damn sure I crossed the state line.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Sacramento says hi! Dear god I'm trashed right now...
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Sacramento California........Chechin' in!!!

PTHFNDR, is one of the first persons I have meet from this board......still not sure about him[;)].

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sacramento says hi! Dear god I'm trashed right now...
View Quote

Well howdy neighbor!!!!  Have you checked out [url]www.sacvalley.org[/url]??  Great place to shoot, if you haven't give me a call and we can meet there sometime.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Orange County, myself. Lake Forest, to be exact.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
East SF Bay Area (i.e., Delta) area.

-Troy
View Quote

Hiya Troy!!  Long time no see.  Sooner or later I will get back down to that area.

Toaster...I think you are offically [b]TOAST!!![/b]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Los Angeles [B)] near Santa Monica
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Toaster...I think you are offically [b]TOAST!!![/b]

Sgtar15
View Quote

Not quite yet. Hehe.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
sulaco-  Do they still have the shooting area of East Camino Cielo.  We used to have a lot of fun up there when I was in college.  My roomate had a large collection of black rifles.  The only problem would be the Mexicans coming up and rapid firing into the air from the back of their pickups every once in a while.  There is also the range at the end of West Camino Cielo that was pretty nice if I remember, but you did have to be a member.  A guy I worked with was and usually during the week you had the place to yourself.

How are the gun stores down there now?  I bought most of mine from a guy named Rick who had a shop in a strip mall off Hollister.  He was a real nice guy and didn't gouge really during the '94 ban, at least not nearly as much as the other guys.

I am from the East Bay BTW, just spent a few years living in Santa Barbara.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Skammy, howdy neighbor!  I am in the Pasadena area of Calif.  My home indoor range just closed for good (Santa Anita Firing Range in Monrovia).  Maybe you could show me a new home range next time you go shooting?  Late.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't listen to dragunov you guys. He shows you all pics taken from the Marin Headlands on a clear day, but he lives in a place so foggy, it will rust your car in summer. [flame] he he

I know because I went to school over by where he lives.

Speaking of clear days, I was over in Berkeley today for a meeting with a business associate who's a professor, and you would not believe all the women running around. Shorts, tube tops, half-naked like it was August. If it wasn't for the women, Berkeley would have no redeeming value. Man, it was driving me nuts.

Anyway, I'm in Contra Costa. Highest pollen count in CA I hear.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi Ratters,
There are two gun shops in Santa Barbara and one in neighboring Goleta.  Rick is the owner of Dodge City Gun Shop; they have fair prices for this area.  There are three ranges down here to choose from.  There’s an indoor pistol range about an hour away<$10>, a local out door range about thirty minutes away<$10> and the range at East Camino Cielo.  It’s a bit of a drive to get to East Camino Cielo, almost 45 minutes depending on the way you go and how fast your car can climb up a mountain.  

Still kind of searching for that perfect range, I think when I finally settle down later on in life I am going to get my self a home with a shooting range on it [:)]
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Los Angeles.

Would like to meet some of you but my work hours don't always permit it.

I usually go to the ranges during the week days.

I frequent San Gabriel Valley Gun Club, Angeles Shooting Range and LAX firing Range.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Southern Oregon (Grants Pass area) and Northern California (Humboldt/Del Norte counties). After living in Alaska and Texas, I now realize how much I took my freedoms for granted!
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in Milpitas.
I remember meeting a bunch of you when we had that shoot at the "Los Altos Rod and gun Club." A range, by the way, where the people that run it were pretty "analistic" about non safety issues. Normally, I'm down at the county range in South San Jose.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks sulaco,

Yeah, I ended up buying about six guns from Rick before I moved back north.  This was almost ten years ago. I worked in special ed down there and his son had some special needs so we would just chat a lot.  Definite good guy shop owner.  After the first couple purchases he would cut me breaks and match prices cause he knew I was an addict. [:)]

Yeah, the drive to the E. Camino Cielo range did take a while.  Once got trapped up there for three hours after four wheeling in my friends land cruiser.  We hit a mud bog and sank right up to the axels.  Luckily somebody with straps stopped right as it was getting dark and cold.  I really miss hiking up on Lizards Tounge and mountain biking in Ellwood(I think that is what it was called) forest north of I.V.

And yes, having land is a good thing.

And Matt, yes I am dying.  Even the dogs are on Benadryl right now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#24]
North Orange County.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm in Los Angeles. Hey sigluvr, are you a fellow SIG owner too or does your name mean something else?

Adrian
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hm, am I the only webshooter present so far?  [img]www.l1a1.com/forums/confused.gif[/img]
View Quote

We're here, but we're just tired. The last shoot, the next shoot, the rifle class, the assorted arts and crafts projects, the bewildering and ever changing array of new gun laws in the works, keeping up with George's new toys (inside joke)...it's enough to wear a man out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe we could all meet up at the angeles shooting range sometime soonish ? [}:D] ( I do know I missed the last shoot [V] )
and sigluvr I think the Angeles Shooting Range is fairly close to you...

[url]www.angelesranges.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#29]
San Mateo is gun friendly???

I've lived there all my life (i now go to school at UC Berkeley of all places) and haven't noticed any gun friendliness. When i went w/ a buddy to register his AR, nothing but dirty looks from the LEOs at the police station.
I used to shoot at the Coyote Point gun range but stooped going after seeing all the crap people w/ assault rifles got.

Maybe i should really test the waters and apply for CCW!!!! [uzi]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Placer Co...
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I was born in Sacramento and have lived in the San Francisco East Bay(over the hills) for about 20 years now.

Alex
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm in LA as well. Usually go to the Angeles range. Perhaps we can "organize" an informal get-together sometime.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm back down in Folsom (east of Sac) after a few years up in Seattle for school.  Wish I could have stayed up there though. [:(]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
(i now go to school at UC Berkeley of all places)
View Quote

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, are you attempting to undo the brainwashing going on there. Carefull they might just suck you in. They are like The Borg over there. They will assimilate.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I live in Upland about 35 miles east of L.A.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Danville checking in
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm in "Beautiful Downtown Burbank."  Born and raised in Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I officially live in NC (where I can purchase Semi-auto rifles with conspicuously protruding pistol grips) but I work in Kalifornia (Los Angeles) about 8 months out of the year.  I stay informed in local politics in Kali and remain a member of the CRPA.  Although I am no longer a registered voter in Kali, I still manage to get my friends out to the pols to vote for pro-gun canidates.  Unless Bill Simon gets elected Governor however, I think Kali may be a lost cause.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Another SOCAL [b]WebShooter[/b] checking in. [pistol]

I work and live in the Inland Empire.

I have had the great pleasure of meeting with many of the fine Cali online SUR shooters(60+) over the past two years.

At our last month's WebShooter's shoot/BBQ/ competition, we had approx 55+ people show up. Rick314 can give you exact #s.

We didn't get a group picture during our last meet, but I'll post our Sept 15th, 2001 group picture @ Angeles Shooting Range - Eagle's Nets.

[img]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCAL_AR15_Club/files/WebShooters%20pics/Group%20Photo%2001%20sm.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#40]
San Diego, in the historic neighborhood of South Park.

I welcome any opportunity to meet fellow ar15.comers, and have met a few.

[50]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I live in Daly City too by Seton Hospital. We call this place fogtown. I've been staying in Hayward lately because my girl lives there. WOW I actually get to see sun here. Anyway I like it better because I'm closer to Chabot shooting range.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Mission Viejo checking in
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#43]
san jose here - I also shoot at the south san jose county range
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Fresno checking, really from Visalia though. Just a temp living arrangement
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Sluggo-LBC(Long Beach)SoCal WebShooters,representin' and in da' house![heavy][pistol][shotgun]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey Big Bear, I lived in Lakewood all of my life.  Graduated Lakewood HS in 87.  I excaped to Phoenix AZ after the gun laws went crazy in 1995.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey, Calif Dudes....

I'm in San Mateo; work in Sunnyvale.

I shoot - less often than I like! - at Coyote Point rifle range and Los Altos Rod & Gun Club.
Coyote's nice because it's open 7-10PM Mo/We/Fri evenings.  Shoot handguns at Jackson Arms in SSF. Reed's has taken over the Nat'l Shooting Club indoor pistol range in Santa Clara so that may be another venue for pistols in addition to Target Masters in Milpitas (haven't shot there in awhile).

I have had no black rifle rangemaster problems at Coyote Pt. OR Los Altos R&G.  Coyote Pt. range is now run by sheriff's office (used to be run by Parks & Rec, lately it's been rangemastered by certified volunteers); do bring your reg papers, and don't bring any unreg'd AWs (!).  Both ranges don't like rapid fire (i.e., more than about 1 round/sec). No silly mag restrictions (one round at a time, etc.) So just be legal, safe & sane and all will be well.  Years ago I heard of a guy getting kicked outta Los Altos R&G for having lifelike mannequin targets with semi-Hillary faces out on Tin Can Alley, but he was just beggin' for attention.

Nice thing about shooting at Coyote is that at the end of a range session I can stop by Max's Opera Cafe for a great late steak dinner or huge sandwich on my way home. [This is a reasonably direct route home for me and shouldn't violate the specific destination laws in SB23...]

What problems have you folks had in Coyote or Los Altos? (Other than cutting big bore handgun at Coyote Pt about 8 or 9 years ago...)

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#49]
OK I'll chime in..I'm from Calabasas (Off Malibu Canyon) I usually avoid the ranges except for an indoor Agoura range where I feed my Glock and and Springfield .45- As far as my long arms go.. I always head for BLM land and do the camp-out shoot. We cook steak and potatoes by the campfire and make a weekend of it. If anyone would ever like to join us let me know- There's always room out there-

Sidearm
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Yet another Sacramnto resident checking in. Didn't know there were so many in this area!
By the way, Vulch, tell your city council to keep their grubby hands in their own pockets and stay the f**k away from the south side of highway 50 or ITS WAR!!! That is the most beautiful open area left in the county, and I'll be damned if they go and turn it into yet another sprawling ugly suburb!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top