Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 5:41:11 PM EDT
Let me preface this by saying my younger brother is a piece of fucking trash. Over the past couple years, he has racked up $25k+ of credit card bills for my parents by stealing them and spending the money on pills. My parent's especially my father continue to let him live with them anyway. He is trash, plain and simple. They had payed their cards down a bit, remortgaged their almost paid of house to consolidate the rest, and maybe leave enough for my dad to build himself a building to fit his Peterbilt, but my POS brother fucked them by stealing the cards and running up 10k within a month. So now they are no better off, and they have remortgaged the house to essentially pay for my brother's drug problem. Rant off.

Anyhow, these guitars belonged to my maternal Grandfather. I never grew up with him, as he left my grandmother when my mom was about 5. He got into contact with all the kids some years ago trying to make amends. These guitars were both given to my drug addict uncle, who then pawned them to finance his drug and alcohol problem. My parents found out, and saved them. This has been seven years ago.

The Ibanez was sent with me to get it out of their way, and it was silently understood that it was basically given to me, as they know I have no addictions (other than firearms), and hold stuff like that sentimental and would never sell it.

The Gibson Country Western somehow was put into the basement at my aunt's house. It is a non-climate controlled basement, and when I learned of it's whereabouts, I quickly went to it's rescue. It was in great shape before it was put there, and all the cracks you see in the finish were a result of it being put there for a year. When I got it, the back was actually raised in the cracked section about 1/4 of an inch. It has since gone down since being in my house.

Anyhow, my question is, how much are these worth? My mother is demanding they be sold to help with their bills. She wants me to take them to a music store tomorrow to get a value, and then maybe craigslist them. I want a realistic value. If I can give them a fair price for them, and say I sold them to some guy on CL and keeping them myself, I might do it. I did not grow up with my Grandfather, but it feels just plain wrong getting rid of them.

This is the George Benson signature series Ibanez. It was poorly stored in a hot humid closet at my parents for a period as well. The wiring behind the pickups is corroded, and finish on the pickups and fretboards has worn off largely from my grandfather playing it. It also has the dings and the finish in the lower part of the body. My best guess is that it is an early 80's model.

This is the Gibson Country Western. Serial dates it to 1964 If I remember correctly. I had the exact factory ship-date, but cant seem to find it now. One of the MOP inlays is gone, and cracking over most all the finish.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In good shape, the Gibson could go for a few grand....but from the images, the guitar is far from good shape.
Depending on nuance, you still may find a buyer, but in that condition, I'm thinking a few hundred bucks is the most you would see from a shop. And that's a maybe, based on the photos. I'm assuming it plays and has no structural damage.

I'd just keep them, but that's me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

In good shape, the Gibson could go for a few grand....but from the images, the guitar is far from good shape.

Depending on nuance, you still may find a buyer, but in that condition, I'm thinking a few hundred bucks is the most you would see from a shop. And that's a maybe, based on the photos. I'm assuming it plays and has no structural damage.

I'd just keep them, but that's me.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. I had a buddy over a few years ago, and he actually played both guitars. They both sounded great, but the Ibanez needs work on the pickups, and does not work with an amp.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ibanez Brand Spankey new is #3200...yours sounds beat to hell....and I seriously doubt there was ever any collector value to it....check EBAY....for both. that should gauge the current climate on their worth...but without seeing either in person and going by your description of damage...they both may be firewood.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
This 1964 Gibson Country Western is going for $2,750

I couldn't tell you about the Ibanez.

If these guitars were improperly stored, then there may be damage that you aren't aware of, such as neck warping and wood damage that would impact tone, etc.

The corrosion on the Ibanez is going to significantly decrease it's value as the electronics on an electric guitar are a huge factor in determining playability and tone.

Also, taking them to a music shop is throwing money out the window. They are going to offer you significantly less than the guitars are worth, and they are going to spot you right away as being someone who doesn't know anything about guitars.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Any guitar shows happening in your neck of the woods?  You could always come to Dallas in April
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Please just keep this in mind:   I am interested in the Ibanez George Benson guitar.   I have wanted one for a long time

and I am quite capable of making any repairs it needs.
I will not lowball you on price.  
PLEASE take the pickguard off the guitar immediately and seal it up in a plastic bag.  Note that it has a "shattered glass" look to it, and

what is happening is that it is undergoing chemical decomposition and releasing nitric acid fumes which are what has done all the damage

to the guitar's hardware and wiring.    It can also damage the finish.  
Take the pickguard off and bag it up in a heavy ziploc bag and don't even keep the bag in the case with the guitar.
The point here is to stop the pickguard's outgassing from doing any further damage.
But don't throw out the pickguard.  It can be used as a template for making a new one.  Which I can do.
The Gibson would be worth up to 3K in excellent condition. Yours really looks to be in pretty good shape overall.  Finish checking is to be

expected of a guitar that old and it doesn't hurt the guitar's value.   The missing inlay can be reinstalled if you have it, and it can be replaced

if it's lost.    I'd say it could bring up to 2K as is, from a buyer, but a dealer would try for half that or less.
CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top