Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2014 7:50:09 PM EDT
Hi guys.

Short story:  My house has shitty drain plumbing.  The drain waste pipe serving the kitchen runs down into the basement, then has a substantial nearly-horizontal run.  I'm talking a good 25-30 of near dead level.  I'd love to cut it out and reinstall with an appropriate drop, but there is stuff in the way.  So, as a result, kitchen sludge and crap accumulates in the pipe and makes for some truly spectacular blockages.  Its usually a greasy heavy clog.  

I can punch through with a flat snake I have and that often works out okay.  But its sorta like poking a hole in Crisco shortening.  I'd love to be able to remove this stuff instead of just poke a hole in it.  Various machine augers have cutter heads, but $300 for a machine is pricey.  Are there smaller DIY machines with similar cutters or some form of 'extractor'?

Suggestions or tips appreciated.  

FWIW, the pros can fix this plumbing.  The current best estimate is $1200.  I got a kid going to college next fall, and $1200 could be better put to use paying for tuition.

Fro
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
$1200 seems high, but thats easy for me to say, having never seen what all is involved.

What is in the way? pics?

There is no good drain auger I have seen under $300, so no help there. Have you tried the older flat tape with the ball end?

I'm no fan of chemicals but I have seen proof, first hand,  of some of the build up removers actually working, almost as advertised.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is that good, what is the brand name?

ETA - I searched and found similar graphics on drain care products from several brands - Zep, Enforcer, etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]
With that much slow drainage, due to the flat pipe, you may wish to consider the stuff they put into septic tanks. Essentially it's a biological drain cleaner. 1x/week and your drains should stay clear.

Look into renting a drain auger.

Also, I wonder if installing a grease trap is in order?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With that much slow drainage, due to the flat pipe, you may wish to consider the stuff they put into septic tanks. Essentially it's a biological drain cleaner. 1x/week and your drains should stay clear.
View Quote

it basically is the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be looking for a Jetter, perhaps someone in your area would rent you one. Sewer springs are horrible on grease, and the Jetter will do a great job. We have a Electric one that is great to use inside a house, and a gas one for bigger lines outside. Sometimes you still have to unclog it first with some springs to get some water flowing and then the Jetter will clean out the rest. That should buy you some time until you can have the line regraded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top