Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 6:11:30 AM EDT
If a CLEO refuses to cooperate with a CCW/Form 4 signoff, and an individual went to court and secured a writ of mandamus, (which is a court order to force a government official to do his/her job) does the CLEO then have to sign, or is he only forced to CONSIDER signing?

Your opinions please...

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Without knowing much about this process, I'd imagine that it would be significantly faster and cheaper to incorporate and bypass the CLEO signoff entirely.  For added fun, inform the CLEO that you just did an end run around him, and he now has no way of knowing what toys you have.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a lawyer.

Some state laws allow a lot of discretion for local officials who must sign off. In such a situation, not sure they can be forced to do anything.

That is why "shall issue" is so important.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Since I've given up on my MP5 clone project this is just a hypothetical question, but it's one I've been wondering about for a while.  Incorporating does seem like it would be less of a hassle, which is saying a lot...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothig to add, hope you get your gun
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Mandamumus only works to force a government officer to perform action that is nondiscretionary (often ministerial) on their part.

Many states allow SOME discretion in the CLEO sign off, so the Mandamus petition would be subject to dismissal under Rule 12.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top