Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:58:00 AM EDT
I have a problem with one of my dogs. [and yes I know what caliber of gun to put it down with, however I'd like to avoid that if possible].

My dog hurt her foot a few weeks ago. I have no idea how it happened, probably stumbled on some rocks while I was out training. She limped on it for a few days so I took her to my vet to have it looked at. It was slightly swollen but not terribly. He thought she would be fine and sent me home with some rimidyl. Well the foot got progressively worse and is fairly swollen now so I took her back the day before yesterday and he Xrayed it and one of her toes were pretty badly broken. [Clean cut broke clear through]. He said the foot should be set and but he couldn't do anything with it since it was swollen and sent me home. I've crated her and have iced her foot a few times and the swelling has gone down but now I can't get a hold of the asshat to fix her foot.

My question is what to do? Can I set it myself, if I leave it alone will it mend all right? Shall I drive the 300 miles to another vet? The dog is very valuable and plus I care for her. She's a nice dog.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:30:12 AM EDT

I'm going to IM this thread to Hobbit, a vet here in AL. We had our kitty's tendons cut (the humane alternative to de-clawing) and it was the most pitiful thing I'd ever seen watching him try to move around with casts on his front paws.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:11:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:
I'm going to IM this thread to Hobbit, a vet here in AL. We had our kitty's tendons cut (the humane alternative to de-clawing) and it was the most pitiful thing I'd ever seen watching him try to move around with casts on his front paws.



Thank you BeetleBailey, I appreciate that. Patty
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:08:06 PM EDT
I wouldn't try to set it yourself- mainly because of alignment and bandaging issues. Bandaging while swollen is a bad deal because of the possibility of pressure necrosis and when the swelling goes down, the foot draws away from the bandage/splint, leaving you no support.

Crating and compresses are a good idea, as is continuing the Rimadyl. The good news is that if the swelling has gone down, the pain has probably decreased as well.

About reaching your vet- I'd try to hold on as long as possible before you make the drive you described... the bigggest reason is the old adage about switching horses in the middle of a stream. I know that you don't want to have to re-invent the wheel at another place if you can avoid it. There's also the issue of followup and splint changes... all easier to do when you don't have to make a long drive every week for a few weeks in a row.

Note- a lot of this advice is predicated on my understanding that you live in a very remote area. Options are limited for you if my understanding is correct.

Please keep us posted- Hope all turns out well.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:03:42 PM EDT
Thank you Hobbit, it seems to be getting better so maybe things will have settled down at my vets office Monday and he can fit us in. I was worried that with out care it would be bad for her but I've crated her and sit with her with ice. The swelling is down and she is putting weight on it. Her toe is still significantly raised though so I'm sure it will need expert care.

Thanks again, Patty
Top Top