Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
I've heard of people giving their dogs things like Benadryl to make their dogs sleep for flights.  I'm also wondering if dogs are known to experience the same kind of ear problems that humans do when flying (particularly children).  If so, is there a remedy for that as well?

I know that most dog medications are determined based on the dogs weight.  My dog ways a WHOPPING 5 lbs.  Yes, that's five pounds.  

He will be flying in the cabin with my fiance in a carryon bag.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If he's in the cabin as carry-on I think all you need to worry about is how conditioned is he to the bag.  Doggie downers can't hurt as long as they are administered properly.  I had a friend fly with his dog in the cargo hold and the next time he saw the crate is was upside down!  His dog was pretty stressed after that flight but hunted just fine the next day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone say "Dogs on a plane"?

flymeaway.net/video/d9-9410382217.wmv

1MB wmv / safe for everyone
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I took my dog on a plane in carry on.  He usually is really low key and just sleeps alot but I went to the vet ahead of time anyway and got him some medication to give him.  Though not as small as your dog, he weighs a whopping 9 pounds so they gave me a pill that I had to just give him half of.

I figured it would be much better to have a dog that is a little out of it because of drowziness then a dog that was genuinely miserable and making lots of noise.  Plus, like you, I was not sure how he would react to the altitude.  He remained under the seat the entire time because he just feel asleep and I decided that it would be the best to let him sleep under the seat.    

My dog usually hates crates and similar things, but he lasted just fine in the carry on I got him.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Just make sure there's no muthafuckin' snakes on dat muthafuckin' plane.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
OK... I just got off the phone with the vet's office and they said that they don't recommend any sedation unless it's a very hyperactive dog.  My dog is usually pretty calm if you let him sit on your lap and I think he'll PROBABLY be ok.  But she did mention that they can have problems with their ears equalizing the pressure (just like humans) and since Benadryl has a decongestive effect, it MAY help with that.  My only concern is that my dog only weighs 5 pounds.  I know that I, weighing about 200 lbs, can easily feel the 'tranquilizing' effects of a single dose of Benadryl, and therefore I'd be concerned about the dose needed for my dog who weighs 1/40th my weight.  I realize that I should probably chip off a TINY little piece off a Benadryl tablet to be sufficient.  Does anyone think that this could be a bad idea or do you think that it's pretty safe?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say yes, if for nothing but consideration for other passengers.  I was on a flight where a girl brought her dog in a carry-on bag and he just whimpered and cried most of the time.  Guy sitting next to her asked to move after a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top