Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 5:21:09 PM EDT
Ok, pretty new to PC gaming. Played GTA Vice City, Ghost Recon, and just now got Call Of Duty.

Ghost Recon I've played on the sissy level since I got it, and have found it somewhat of a challenge.

Call Of Duty, I've been playing on a higher level, but have been breezing through it. Had it five days, and I'm already playing the British paratrooper. I figure I'm at least a third of the way through? And don't get me wrong, I really have very little free time to play. Maybe an hour every other day, sometimes if that.

Is Call Of Duty just that easy? The missions just too short?

Also, I've been thinking of picking up Medal Of Honor, and the bonus packs. But have been told that they aren't all that great compared to COD. Are they still worth playing?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Ghost Recon on the PS2 was cake.....never played MOH or Call of Duty....so I can't compare them for you.

However, SOCOM for the PS2 is getting tougher as I get promoted.  You finish all the levels then get promoted to LT {jg}, from Ensign.  They get more accurate and move a little faster.

A whole different ballgame from Ghost Recon.

They are both fun.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, Call of Duty is that easy.  Very nice graphics and cool game play, but easy none the less.

I finished the game in under a week and sold it on ebay for $42 + shipping, lol.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Play on the hardest level, much more fun.  You can take very few hits and there are no health paks on the levels, makes things alot harder.  The other difficulty levels are too easy...  And it is a little on the short side still.  Multiplayer is where it's at for CoD.  MOH pales in comparison to CoD IMO, but if you just want more and don't play CoD online I guess MOH is the only other option for some more singleplayer.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
people actually play single player? [:O]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I played Ghost Recon for xbox  and it sucked it so un life like in the MOUNT area. Id go for Call of duty it looks great also Metal of honor rising sun was just kick ass .
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I played Ghost Recon for xbox  and it sucked it so un life like in the MOUNT area. Id go for Call of duty it looks great also Metal of honor rising sun was just kick ass .
View Quote
if you want lifelike, go America's Army
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought Ghost Recon was difficult on the PC.  Maybe I just suck ass at video games but I don't think so.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I forget what difficulty level I was playing on but there was only one time I died and had to restart and I was in a fixed position getting stormed and my ai buddies didn't fend the hordes of guys off me and I got tagged.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree, Set your CoD on the HARDEST skill level.  Without health packs, it takes about 2-3 hits & your gone.  No more of that reckless running like mad through indoor missions (such as the russian tractor/tank factory, which you'll encounter partway through the russian part)...  Another mission that was a TOTAL BITCH for me was the russian mission where you've just taken out 6 snipers, you've rushed across the mortar field, and you're stuck behind a brick wall!

How TF did you guys get through that on the HARDEST skill level?  On the lower ones, I can practically walk up to the building with a pistol & pick them all off taking fire like the terminator;  But with the hardest skill level, I went to the far left part of the wall, picked a few off with my mosin nagant, my captured MP44, tossed a few grenades, and made a break for a crater to seek some cover until I cleared the left side of the building.  Snuck around back, and entered in through the basement.  But there MUST be another way to do it, what did you guys do to get into that hi-rise?  Once in there, holding them off was easy enough.  Swap out your Mosin for a MP40 full of ammo.  Stand on the second floor (to cover both boards/entrances to the 2nd floor), and mow them down with your MP40, and do a new-york reload to your MP44 (I set as semi-auto, making it similar to an SAR-1 [but in nazi 8mm short]).  At that point, I'd duck behind cover, reload the MP40, & MP44.  If Nazis got up the stairs & to me before the reloads, I could grab my luger NY style, and 'bus a cap in doze mo fos' Bird-Man Ghetto style!!!  Then finish the reloads, toss more grenades, repeat as necessary...  Occaisionally stopping to take out tanks.  Those two planks up to the 2nd floor create some GREAT murder holes or funnels for you to concentrate your fire.

Out of THE WHOLE GAME, what was your favorite weapon(s)???

I'd have to say that mine was either the Lee Enfield, and the 1911A1 (in the V2 mission).

You're not GIVEN an enfield, but after blasting the two trucks with grenades & mines, I pick off one of my own soldiers to get my hands on his enfield (as a secondary weapon, but keep the mauser scoped for primary).  I LOVE clearing bunkers with the 1911A1.  While rushing through a bunker, POP POP *melee-whack*, POP POP *melee-whack*, POP POP *melee-whack*, POP, reload.  The garand was great & all, but I'm a sucker for bolt-action rifles (they're what I knew first since childhood).

Another cool effect is the "Shell Shock" you sometimes get...  The game simply ROCKS.  I wish I had a high-speed connection (not my 56K) or I'd be doing the online-thing a WHOLE lot more.  They'd better come out with some more single player add-ons SOON  (like a pacific theater version)...  The game kicks butt!  It'd be great with a pacific version, popping 'japs' with your 45 while they're bearing down on you with a samurai in the pacific islands...Pot shooting at you with Arisaka type 99s or something...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Ghost Recon on PC was quite difficult on the elite setting. I havent played CoD yet, only the two demos.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I found Call of Duty to be a very fun and challenging game. The russian level called Pavlovs house was hard as hell I ended up in a room on the top floor that was blown out and I stayed in there throwing grenades and picking off any Germans who tried to come in. They all were stacked otside the door when I threw a grenade out when I started hearing Russian voices again and I killed like 6 Germans that way. The AI in this game is smart as hell too. I also liked the Pegasus Bridge mission on the British level. I found the American missions ok. The multiplayer sucks I got spoiled by the Delta Force series. Overall I found the game to be alot of fun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I found Call of Duty to be a very fun and challenging game. The russian level called Pavlovs house was hard as hell ............

...... The multiplayer sucks I got spoiled by the Delta Force series. Overall I found the game to be alot of fun.
View Quote

Yeah, that Russian house stand was a bitch.  It took several tries to figure that one out.  Ended up in a nook behind the stairway on third floor with 2 fellow soldiers.  It really helped to have some back up while making reloads.

I also agree with you on the multiplayer.  I tried it for a couple of hours and didn't care for it.  Delta Force and America's Army are way better.  But the COD single player was great fun, just wish it was a little longer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I miss living in the dorms only for the fact that I never had to cook, and I had FAST multiplayer gaming...  I'd have been kicked out of college for GPA problems if I still had the fast gaming online!

What delta force are you guys talking about???

I've had DF 1, & DF 2, and played them both online...  DF 1 was my favorite, because I had TONS of neighbors in my hallway to play with on LAN, fast as hell.  I haven't tried any newer Delta Force games, are they any good?  Which do you think is the best?

I hated that British Bridge mission, I always kept dying like crazy!!!  (on hardest skill level)  Finally, I barely beat the mission (with only a sliver of health left) while hiding like a bitch behind the sandbag bunker, tossing grenades over at the nazis, and occaisionally leaning out to pick off some germans with my Enfield (Bren was out of ammo very early in that mission).

I can't play America's Army (1.x or 2.0) because I don't have high-speed connection.

My PC isn't that great either...  It's only:
Nvidia GForce4 4200 Gainward Gold (Best VidCard Buy at the time by PCGaming)
Athlon 1.6 GHz
256MB RAM
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Ghost Recon isn't so bad, especially if you work up from the easier levels.  That way you know the layout of the level, but it is still a pretty difficult game, so keep those quick save/quick load buttons ready!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if you want lifelike, go America's Army
View Quote

Roger that...  America's Army ROCKS!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Eh, Americas Army sucks.  Main problem is the iron sights don't shoot to point of aim most of the time.  If you're wounded or your combat effectiveness rating thing is off your bullets don't strike where you are aiming.  Gay as hell.  If they want you to be inaccurate the sights should be bucking all over the screen or something, not magic inaccuracy (especially to the tune of missing by 15 feet at 50 yards while dead on target, lol)...  And it seems like you have to BLAST people too many times to kill.  (that last part is common to many games like MOHAA and CoD, but for those there are realism mods and servers that run them online, SOL on that for AA)  Don't like it...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got through Medal of Honor I&II...great games. Started Socom I..I also bought Socom II. I love these PS2 games!! Love it.[bounce]

I am really looking for a good sniping game for PS2..anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#19]
What the hell are you talking about??

COD on the highest (or even 2nd highest) is not an easy task.

The highest is the most fun. Difficulty is the same as 2nd highest but they don't give you any health throughout the mission.

There's no way your that good, cause I can work almost everyone online with a bolt action rifle but have a difficult time at part with COD diffuculty cranked all the way up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're not GIVEN an enfield, but after blasting the two trucks with grenades & mines, I pick off one of my own soldiers to get my hands on his enfield (as a secondary weapon, but keep the mauser scoped for primary)....
View Quote

[size=6][b]TK'er!!!!![/b][/size=6]  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#21]

I play GR for PC quite often, actually way too much.  It rocks, I just can't seem to get tired of it.  I only played the single player mode long enough to beat each expansion packs and then discovered multiplayer mode.  Now all we do is play each other online. We use Ventrilo for voice software and run co-op missions or sometimes we just smoke each other in man on man matches.  The advantage of the PC version lies within the ability to Mod it.  There are literally thousands of Mods available for it.    

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
ghost recon is the best...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Get Ghost Recon: Island Thunder X-Box
Get X-Box Live
There are a bunch of maps to download, you can play "co-op" or better yet play "team" if you need a good ol' ass beatin look for ride red 11

Over and Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top