Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't sound very sporting to me, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us that it's his god given right to sick his pitbull-rotty mutt on a bear cub.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Committee members voting in favor of SB 1221 were Chairman Jared Huffman (D-San Rafael), Bob Blumenfield (D-San Fernando Valley), Nora Campos (D-San Jose), Paul Fong (D-Cupertino), Mike Gatto (D-Burbank), Ben Hueso (D-San Diego), Ricardo Lara (D-South Gate), and Mariko Yamada (D-Davis).

Voting against SB 1221 were Assembly Members Linda Halderman (R-Fresno), Bill Berryhill (R-Stockton), Beth Gaines (R-Rocklin), and Brian W. Jones, (R-Santee).

Dems vote to ban hunting.

Republicans vote to uphold hunting
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
What about bear shaking?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Doesn't sound very sporting to me, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us that it's his god given right to sick his pitbull-rotty mutt on a bear cub.

You obviously know nothing about using dogs in hunting.

From your apparent attitude, it'd be worthless to educate you.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't be an overly urbanized retard.

I'm not sure why the OP called it "bear dogging" but the purpose of the hounds is to locate the bear, not fight the bear.  It's still a challenging hunt, and it's pretty much the only effective way to hunt bears in the west where black bears have big territories in rough country.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen these guys with these dogs that look like they're loaded on dianaibol that they send in to bear dens to drag the bears out so they can shoot them from about 10 yards. Tracking with dogs is cool, but that shit is kind of fucked IMO.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Slap a radio collar around their neck and follow them in a motor vehicle right up to the tree?

I support bear dogging,
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about bear shaking?

Shake that bear.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The real surprise is it lasted this long
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The real surprise is it lasted this long

Yeah I am surprised it is not law already.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Can I still run them over with my car?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

well another hippy liberal douche to put on the ignore list.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually been hunting bear since I was 9, and I've seen people doing this for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen these guys with these dogs that look like they're loaded on dianaibol that they send in to bear dens to drag the bears out so they can shoot them from about 10 yards. Tracking with dogs is cool, but that shit is kind of fucked IMO.

Bullshit.  You have seen no such thing.  You sound like the idiots that feel sorry for all those dairy cows that line up for execution every morning...

Bear dogs chase bears up trees or onto rock.  If a bear turns on the dogs hilarity does NOT ensue, dogs get killed especially when it's a young, agile bear.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in a state where people hunt deer with dogs. I hate it.

I support hunters being allowed to fence their own land in and chase privately owned game within the fence. I do not support the use of dogs to hunt publically-owned big game such as deer or bear.

EITHER WAY this is a state issue that should be decided by biologists and the interest groups who own the game.

If you disagree because you don't think the state should own the game, that's another subject altogether.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about bear shaking?
A Bruin doin' the Kalifornia Twist.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#17]
State biologists estimate there are approximately 40,000 bears in California. California hunters killed 1,503 bears in 2010. Of that number, DFG says 45 percent were taken with the use of dogs. The unofficial 2011 bear harvest was 1,672.

Thats is a small harvest for a huge amount of bears.

40,000 bears and hunters only take 1,503?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
State biologists estimate there are approximately 40,000 bears in California. California hunters killed 1,503 bears in 2010. Of that number, DFG says 45 percent were taken with the use of dogs. The unofficial 2011 bear harvest was 1,672.

What percentage of those bears were taken on public land?

I ask because if I worked at the state agency tasked with setting such regulations, I'd want to know how many bears I had on tracts of pubic land where dogs could run and nt be crossing onto other private lands every five minutes - which is what happens a lot in the east.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ask because if I worked at the state agency tasked with setting such regulations, I'd want to know how many bears I had on tracts of pubic land where dogs could run and nt be crossing onto other private lands every five minutes - which is what happens a lot in the east.

Public and private lands out west are much larger than out east.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually been hunting bear since I was 9, and I've seen people doing this for a long time.

You've been bear hunting for a full year, and yet you think they are "dragged from their den and shot?"  

That kind of BS won't fly here, young'n.  

I've hunted bear for some years now.  No one drags them from their den and shoots them.  That is shit to be made up by PETA trash.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've been bear hunting for a full year, and yet you think they are "dragged from their den and shot?"  

That kind of BS won't fly here, young'n.  

Steroid laden muscle dogs pull the bears from their dens!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of them are taken on public land.  Very little private land is open to big game hunting out here.

Plumas National forest, where I hunt deer and bear, is 1.2 million square acres.  That's 1875 square miles.  Bigger than the State of Rhode Island.  California has 11 National Forests, ranging from 18,425 square acres to 3.2 million square acres (shared with Nevada).

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of them are taken on public land.  Very little private land is open to big game hunting out here.

So there's no issue with trespassing (the big complaint about dog-hunters here in the south) and no worry about private landowners having their management plans messed up by dog-runners and no biological reason not to use dogs, and there's a harvest of 1500 per year out of a population of 40k?

In that case, I see no issue with it, generally speaking. Certainly one could make the case for leaving some lands closed to the use of dogs, for the sake of those who prefer to use other methods of hunting, but in general I see no reason to stop using dogs under those circumstances.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#29]
bear dogging is stupid.

you want a bear just go hangout in the picnic area. bring snacks.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#30]
They hunt hogs around here with dogs.
People will trespass after their dogs and think it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#31]
i thought dogging was something slutty girls do in parks
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Please stay out of Texas.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Can I still run them over with my car?

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#34]
oh no!

Zero fucks given about the loss of bear dogging, they havent crossed the line yet, but I am sure they will.

extremely small concern in contrast to other/all things California,
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#35]
California to ban bear dogging......except in certain parts of San Francisco
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please stay out of Texas.

Thanks.

http://www.wildhoghunters.com/vbtube/photos/original/948xxm5s.jpg

Familiar sight...lost a few good dogs doing that. But had a blast doing it.

Catahoula in the back?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Catahoula in the back?

Yep. She died this spring but not from hunting, she got sick and just lasted a couple of days. Not sure what they decided it was.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Those fucking pitbulls again.

and it's sic not sick
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I can't speak for everyones' areas but it would not hurt my feelings one bit if hunting w/ dogs was banned here (deer and bear).  They are inconsiderate of still-hunters, no trespassing signs, and public safety.  I watched a guy this past season backing his truck (in the RH lane) on a main road at about 30mph into a blind curve in order to cut off the deer/dogs.  This is not the first time I have seen this happen.  I have also seen guys forget their safe field of fire and shoot in the vicinity of houses (even hitting one w/ people inside).  My favorite part is most of these "hunters" are so overweight that they nearly run out of wind getting out of their truck, grabbing the rifle, and climbing onto their rule bending seat on top of the dog box to take a shot (here you can't shoot a rifle while on ground level).  I know this is about bear hunting but the same people who do this stuff hunting for deer also hunt bear and do some of the same things in the process.  

My absolute favorite is when the dogs are getting the animal close to the edge of the woods and everyone thinks they are in NASCAR and race to the location.  Then when the animal finally pops out it sounds like a "mad minute".  After that comes the hour long argument as to killed it.  

If you want to hunt respect the animal/tradition and put in some tracking/research time.  Learn their habits and ambush them.  If that's not your cup of tea and you want an easier route, contact your nearest hunting lodge.  They will be happy to pick out an animal for you and you can go sit in the stand/tent and wait for the feed cart to come by.  Pick the one w/ your tag and have fun.  If that's too hard find a real hunter and hit them up for some meat.  

Like I said I am only commenting on the dog hunters I have witnessed in my area.  If you, or the ones in your area, are different then this does not apply to you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I can't speak for everyones' areas but it would not hurt my feelings one bit if hunting w/ dogs was banned here (deer and bear).  They are inconsiderate of still-hunters, no trespassing signs, and public safety.  I watched a guy this past season backing his truck (in the RH lane) on a main road at about 30mph into a blind curve in order to cut off the deer/dogs.  This is not the first time I have seen this happen.  I have also seen guys forget their safe field of fire and shoot in the vicinity of houses (even hitting one w/ people inside).  My favorite part is most of these "hunters" are so overweight that they nearly run out of wind getting out of their truck, grabbing the rifle, and climbing onto their rule bending seat on top of the dog box to take a shot (here you can't shoot a rifle while on ground level).  I know this is about bear hunting but the same people who do this stuff hunting for deer also hunt bear and do some of the same things in the process.  

My absolute favorite is when the dogs are getting the animal close to the edge of the woods and everyone thinks they are in NASCAR and race to the location.  Then when the animal finally pops out it sounds like a "mad minute".  After that comes the hour long argument as to killed it.  

If you want to hunt respect the animal/tradition and put in some tracking/research time.  Learn their habits and ambush them.  If that's not your cup of tea and you want an easier route, contact your nearest hunting lodge.  They will be happy to pick out an animal for you and you can go sit in the stand/tent and wait for the feed cart to come by.  Pick the one w/ your tag and have fun.  If that's too hard find a real hunter and hit them up for some meat.  

Like I said I am only commenting on the dog hunters I have witnessed in my area.  If you, or the ones in your area, are different then this does not apply to you.

You talk of tradition, but fail to realize man has been hunting with dogs long before there were firearms.  Hell, man was still using pointy sticks when he first used dogs to help him put meat on the table.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Plumas National forest, where I hunt deer and bear, is 1.2 million square acres.  That's 1875 square miles.  Bigger than the State of Rhode Island.  California has 11 National Forests, ranging from 18,425 square acres to 3.2 million square acres (shared with Nevada).

I know you know this, but there's really no such thing as a "square acre".  Acres are already "square" as in they represent an area measurement (as in 43,560 square feet).  A "square acre" would be representative of of a cube 208.7103 feet on a side.  A "square acre" would contain 43,560 acre-feet of water, or 1,430,989,560 gallons.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Acres are already "square" as in they represent an area measurement (as in 43,560 square feet).

They don't have to be square. They can be rectangles, circles, star shaped, hexagonal, pretty much any shape you can think of.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You talk of tradition, but fail to realize man has been hunting with dogs long before there were firearms.  Hell, man was still using pointy sticks when he first used dogs to help him put meat on the table.

Were they using trucks, cb radios, and so overweight that they can't "hunt" without those things?

ETA:  My traditional form of hunting is still-hunting.  I'm not commenting on all mankind as I'm not qualified to.  Thanks for the history lesson professor.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm sad.  I initially read this "Nutty Envirowhackos in CA to ban bear droppings!" and thought that would be a brilliant idea.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know you know this, but there's really no such thing as a "square acre".  Acres are already "square" as in they represent an area measurement (as in 43,560 square feet).  A "square acre" would be representative of of a cube 208.7103 feet on a side.  A "square acre" would contain 43,560 acre-feet of water, or 1,430,989,560 gallons.

Yeah, i know.  Call it a typo.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It sounds like you have experienced dog-hunting for deer in Mississippi.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they using trucks, cb radios, and so overweight that they can't "hunt" without those things?

ETA:  My traditional form of hunting is still-hunting.  I'm not commenting on all mankind as I'm not qualified to.  Thanks for the history lesson professor.

You're welcome there, skippy.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#49]
What do you expect from the state that tells you that using lead bullets to kill things is bad?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

What do you expect from the state that tells you that using lead bullets to kill things is bad?

I'm tired of this.  You do know that lead is banned in one area, the condor range, right?  The balance of the State, which is most of it, has no such restriction.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top