Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2006 3:07:15 PM EDT
California Deputy Killed; Manhunt Underway

Updated: October 27th, 2006 01:05 PM EDT

A massive manhunt was launched throughout Northern California for a gunman who fatally shot a Sacramento County sheriff's deputy early Friday during a traffic stop in a rural area.

Authorities said Jeff Mitchell, 38 and a 9-year veteran with the department, had died of his wounds at UC Davis Medical Center. He was married and had a 6-year-old son.

At news conference, Sheriff John McGinness said Mitchell had sent a computer message saying he was okay shortly after stopping a white van without plates. However when officers arrived to assist 20 minutes later, Mitchell was found on the ground, weapon drawn with a mortal wound.

"He was truly an officer and a gentleman," McGinness said. "This is a dark day for the sheriff's department...There will be a time to mourn, but right now we have to find the person or persons who are responsible for this…They are still at large."

A perimeter was set up quickly by several law enforcement agencies after the shooting leading authorities to believe the suspect was still in the area.

Dispatchers said the traffic stop took place around 3 a.m. near Sloughhouse in rural Sacramento County.

Sheriff's deputies, Elk Grove police and the California Highway Patrol were searching for a male suspect believed to have fled in a white Chevy van with no plates and possible damage to the front end.

Damn. Nighttime car stop on a vehicle with no plates is definately something you should have backup on. sho

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
RIP Deputy Mitchell.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Prayers for the family.

White van w/o plates care to guess as to the citizenship status of the offender.

Why no description surely 99% of departments have dash cams..
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Damn. Nighttime car stop on a vehicle with no plates is definately something you should have backup on. sho

I know nothing about these things, but intuitively I would want other people around before venturing close to that van.  AR15fan, what do you think happened as far as sequence of events?

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know nothing about these things, but intuitively I would want other people around before venturing close to that van.  AR15fan, what do you think happened as far as sequence of events?

I'm going in to work tonight. I'll post any iformation I can find out.

This is a horrible tradegy and is still one of the worst situation law enforcement faces today.  Walking into the unknown during the dark hours sis something we do without out a second thought.  

My prayers are out for his family.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank the bean counters for single man units for night shifts!

This is the deal for a good 60% of deputies nationwide... middle of nowhere nearest unit 15-20min away @warp speed
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This is the deal for a good 60% of deputies nationwide... middle of nowhere nearest unit 15-20min away @warp speed

I work a city of only 75- 80K and we still run 4 officers on a night shift.  Single man units..  It makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thoughts and prayers to the officers family

The arsonist wanted for setting the fire in Riverside county that killed 4 firefighters was believed to be driving a white van as well...

I wonder if there is a connection.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
RIP Officer.

It still perplexes me why cops are sent out in 1 man patrols. This is something you should never do, and that is drilled into your head from day one in the military ('battle buddy' in Basic to 'Ranger buddy' after that, etc.)

Not long ago, I went on an impromptu ride-along in a neighboring shit-hole to a major US city. My cousin is drinking buddies with many on the force, and called one of his bros late one night for a ride-along since I was in town.

We were going through a rough section with the LEO pointing out known crack houses and I made the comment 'Isn't it dangerous to be doing this without a partner'. His reply was to the affect of 'yup, but it costs a lot more money for two per patrol car'.

I am always amazed when I see a patrol car with only one officer in it, which seems to be very common these days. Actually, the last time I saw a car with more than one officer was probably 15 years ago.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
RIP Deputy Mitchell.  May the L-rd be with you and your loved ones.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
RIP Officer.

It still perplexes me why cops are sent out in 1 man patrols. This is something you should never do, and that is drilled into your head from day one in the military ('battle buddy' in Basic to 'Ranger buddy' after that, etc.)

Not long ago, I went on an impromptu ride-along in a neighboring shit-hole to a major US city. My cousin is drinking buddies with many on the force, and called one of his bros late one night for a ride-along since I was in town.

We were going through a rough section with the LEO pointing out known crack houses and I made the comment 'Isn't it dangerous to be doing this without a partner'. His reply was to the affect of 'yup, but it costs a lot more money for two per patrol car'.

I am always amazed when I see a patrol car with only one officer in it, which seems to be very common these days. Actually, the last time I saw a car with more than one officer was probably 15 years ago.

My small city almost always runs 1 officer per car, unless its a trainee, then the supervisor sgt. is with him.

The few times I have been on a ride-along, the officer seemed quite happy to have me along. It must seem to give the appearance that he had a partner in the car.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work a city of only 75- 80K and we still run 4 officers on a night shift.  Single man units..  It makes no sense to me.

I was in the same boat

4 deputies
2 troopers (double man units)
2-3 city cops

to cover a huge county
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You simply do not have the luxury of waiting for a backup on car stops. The backup usually starts your way when you stop a vehicle unless you're making a felony stop. If you waited for backup on every stop, especially in rural areas, each stop might take 30 minutes or more. Just not feasible, and the complaints would roll in like an avalanche.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
33K residents in my patrol area. 3 one man cars if we are fully staffed. As soon as somebody goes to jail its down to 2 units and most nighttime calls are two person calls.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Prayers for officer Mitchell and his family.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The shooter was in a white van; a white van has just been pulled from the Consumnes River about 20 miles away with two dead inside: male in his 40's and female in her 30's...it is not known if they are connected to the shooting of the deputy yet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
California Deputy Killed; Manhunt Underway

Updated: October 27th, 2006 01:05 PM EDT

A massive manhunt was launched throughout Northern California for a gunman who fatally shot a Sacramento County sheriff's deputy early Friday during a traffic stop in a rural area.

Authorities said Jeff Mitchell, 38 and a 9-year veteran with the department, had died of his wounds at UC Davis Medical Center. He was married and had a 6-year-old son.

At news conference, Sheriff John McGinness said Mitchell had sent a computer message saying he was okay shortly after stopping a white van without plates. However when officers arrived to assist 20 minutes later, Mitchell was found on the ground, weapon drawn with a mortal wound.

"He was truly an officer and a gentleman," McGinness said. "This is a dark day for the sheriff's department...There will be a time to mourn, but right now we have to find the person or persons who are responsible for this…They are still at large."

A perimeter was set up quickly by several law enforcement agencies after the shooting leading authorities to believe the suspect was still in the area.

Dispatchers said the traffic stop took place around 3 a.m. near Sloughhouse in rural Sacramento County.

Sheriff's deputies, Elk Grove police and the California Highway Patrol were searching for a male suspect believed to have fled in a white Chevy van with no plates and possible damage to the front end.

I think we are all guilty of thinking it cant happen to us......

RIP
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]
i hope CA LE handle things like FL LE when there is a manhunt for a cop killer.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#18]
my prayers go out to his family

id like more of my tax dollars to go towards making sure there are 2 LE in every car, but god knows fucking sacremento would fuck it all up somehwere in their ass backwards communist party rally
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:26:13 AM EDT
[#19]
prayers to the family and friends.  RIP
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i hope CA LE handle things like FL LE when there is a manhunt for a cop killer.

If the CHP is there then you already have the best west of the Mississippi. Except possibly Texas. The CHP are highly trained and very professional.

I don't know anything about LE in the east.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#21]
RIP  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
RIP to the Deputy. Hope they catch the Bastard and make him pay for killing the officer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
RIP Officer.

It still perplexes me why cops are sent out in 1 man patrols.

$$$$$$$$$$$

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Any updates?

Nothing yet.

Happened about 3 miles from where I work, I passed my condolences on to a few officers that day as they were all over the place.

Sad.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#26]
The white van pulled from the river was not connected to the shooting.

There are currently no leads on the killer.

They are now saying there was quite a struggle at the scene, and the killer should have visible injuries.

All day long the local news kept showing aerial views of the crime scene, in which a large pool of (the Deputy's) blood could be seen...effing vampires.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
RIP Deputy Mitchell.  May the Lord be with you and your loved ones.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#28]
RIP
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Man this is so sad. This is the type of scenarios that make me wonder how some people [cough]  RikWriter [/cough] can MMQB police.

My prayer go out to his family

RIP
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#30]

NEWS FLASH:   Alot of people in the U.S. died today. Some even died while doing their job.        
             This man was no more or less important than anyone else.

Roy
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
NEWS FLASH:   Alot of people in the U.S. died today. Some even died while doing their job.        

Roy

Very few of them died in a job that requires them to put their life on the line in defense of others. Jack ass.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Roy

Congratulations on being the first person to piss in a death thread. Ill bet your mother is proud.

RIP to the officer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

Very few of them died in a job that requires them to put their life on the line in defense of others. Jack ass.

When you have been here a while you start to recognise and remember these guys.  it's just a case of cowardice from behind a keyboard.  Don't let them get to you.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

apparently he wasn't defending anyone, himself included.

roy
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Does SCSO have dash cams?

Deputy Mitchell  RIP:

Deputy Jeffrey Mitchell, 38, is a 9-year veteran of the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department and has been assigned to Patrol Services since 2002. He is survived by his wife and young children.  

A trust fund has been setup to help with the family of Officer Mitchell. Donations can be sent to:

Stockmans Bank
9340 East Stockton Blvd. 95624
Account #: 103047445

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

roy

I know your type.. you are the "you will never take me alive" yet cry all the way to the jail type.  Pathetic
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

roy

Asshole comment - plain & simple.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

roy

Not cool, man.  It doesn't matter what your beef is with "cops."  The guy was still a human being murdered by a scumbag.  I certainly wouldn't chime in with an assinine comment about how no one should be mourning his loss because he was "no more important than anyone else."  Well maybe he isn't, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't mourn for him and his family.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

When you have been here a while you start to recognise and remember these guys.  it's just a case of cowardice from behind a keyboard.  Don't let them get to you.  

Your right, haven't been in the general board much until yesterday. Been mostly in the tech boards. The bullshit is very deep over on this side. I used to have the kind of attitudes towards cops when i was maybe 14 or so. Now that I'm older I have alot more respect for these guys (cops, soldiers, fire fighters). I just pisses me off to see a bunch of cowards (who will never have enough courage to even do anything for anyone but themselves) put down and second guess the good guys.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#40]
RIP Deputy Mitchell    
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Does SCSO have dash cams?

No.

Hey, but what do you know! The Sacramento Sheriff just decided dash cams would be a god idea!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow, Roy, you are an A.H.

I wonder if you've ever needed 911.

BTW, did I mention you are an A.H.?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

roy

What is with you people?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:34:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
No.

Hey, but what do you know! The Sacramento Sheriff just decided dash cams would be a god idea!

Again, $$$$$$$$$$.

I am not one to defend police chiefs, but they do sometimes have difficult decisions about where to put the limited resources they are given, and often even those decisions are taken away by courts, city officials, and "citizen groups".

Spending money on officer safety just doesn't satisfy the politically correct troll hoards like more "diversity" training does....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:37:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Rest in Peace, Brother.

Sheep
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

roy

Do us a favor and go back to playing with your dick and get out of this thread.

RIP officer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No.

Again, $$$$$$$$$$.

I am not one to defend police chiefs, but they do sometimes have difficult decisions about where to put the limited resources they are given, and often even those decisions are taken away by courts, city officials, and "citizen groups".

Spending money on officer safety just doesn't satisfy the politically correct troll hoards like more "diversity" training does....

Or anti gun billboards, or conferences in exotic places, ect.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:00:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Or anti gun billboards, or conferences in exotic places, ect.

That too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Back in the day, we always rode two-man units.  The only exception was if there happened to be an odd number of officers on a shift.  Then there would be one, one-man unit.  He would get only calls to write reports for thefts, etc, that were considered non-dangerous types of calls.

The switch to one-man units is stupid.

May God bless this man's family.  RIP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top