Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 11:47:02 AM EDT
Well this is a new spin.  I thought after politicians got caught in compromising sexual situations, they were supposed to claim it is because they are alcoholics.  Not the other way around.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. –– Republican state Sen. Roy Ashburn said Monday
he is gay, ending days of speculation that began after his arrest last
week for investigation of driving under the influence.

Ashburn, who consistently voted against gay rights measures during
his 14 years in statewide office, came out in an interview with KERN
radio in Bakersfield, the area he represents.

Ashburn said he felt compelled to address rumors that he had visited a
gay nightclub near the Capitol before his DUI arrest.

"I am gay ... those are the words that have been so difficult for me
for so long," Ashburn told conservative talk show host Inga Barks.

The 55-year-old father of four said he had tried to keep his personal
life separate from his professional life until his March 3 arrest.

"When I crossed the line and broke the law and put people at risk,
that's different, and I do owe people an explanation," he said.

Ashburn was arrested after he was spotted driving erratically near
the Capitol, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The next day, reports surfaced that he had left Faces, a gay
nightclub, with an unidentified man in the passenger seat of his
Senate-owned vehicle.

"The best way to handle that is to be truthful and to say to my
constituents and all who care that I am gay," he said. "But I don't
think it's something that has affected, nor will it affect, how I do my
job."

Ashburn has voted against a number of gay rights measures, including
efforts to expand anti-discrimination laws and recognize out-of-state
gay marriages.

Last year, he opposed a bill to establish a day of recognition to
honor slain gay rights activist Harvey Milk.

Equality California, a group that advocates for expanded gay rights
and other issues, said it consistently gave Ashburn a 0 rating on its
scorecard.

The senator said those votes reflected the way constituents in his
district wanted him to vote.

Ashburn has been on personal leave since his arrest but was expected
to return Monday to the Senate. His spokesman, Noel Libang, did not
immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

In the radio interview, Ashburn said he is drawing on his Christian
faith, and he asked people to pray for him.

He said he does not plan to run for any public office after his term
ends later this year.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't he have been leaving "Asses" ?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
. "I got drunk and stupid, therefore I must tell everyone I'm gay." Gay people get a pass on DUIs?

Coming up next, caught embezzling, Chuck Schumer admits "I like big butts and I cannot lie."
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Love how the gay rights lobby gives a gay guy a 0 rating.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, apparently the rumors were true.  I had my doubts, given how the Media Smear Machine works.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

. "I got drunk and stupid, therefore I must tell everyone I'm gay." Gay people get a pass on DUIs?

Coming up next, caught embezzling, Chuck Schumer admits "I like big butts and I cannot lie."

The DUI thing is the only newsworthy event (to me, anyway). The reason the gay thing is coming up, is because Republicans keep making such a big deal out of all things gay. If they'd stop with that nonsense, there's be no opportunity to gleefully point out hypocrisy.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The scandal in is that not only did he break drunk driving laws, Senator Ashburn has voted against the legalization of gay marriage.  Now, he has been caught leaving a gay bar and is admitting he's gay.  So, now he looks like a big hypocrite, and pro-gay marriage folks are going to use this against him when he is up for re-election.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The scandal in is that Senator Ashburn has voted against the legalization of gay marriage.  So, now he looks like a big hypocrite, and pro-gay marriage folks are going to use this against him when he is up for re-election.

I know plenty of homosexuals (older people, mostly) who are quite hostile to the idea of gay marriage. I think that it's a done deal in the next 10 - 15 years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess since he has his cherry popped with the DUI he didn't feel it necessary to stay in the closet...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The scandal in is that Senator Ashburn has voted against the legalization of gay marriage.  So, now he looks like a big hypocrite, and pro-gay marriage folks are going to use this against him when he is up for re-election.

I know plenty of homosexuals (older people, mostly) who are quite hostile to the idea of gay marriage. I think that it's a done deal in the next 10 - 15 years.

I do, too and I actually agree with Senator Ashburn's politics and I applaud his honesty through this ordeal.  Though, the DUI isn't going to help him any, especially with all the anti-drunk driving stuff that was out this holiday season and all the DUI checkpoints we had around town.  I think if the election were tomorrow, he'd still have my vote.

I'm just afraid that the left is going to use this against him and try and discredit any of his future accomplishments.  He represents a lot of conservative land in California, including my area, and we desperately need to keep his voice, and voices like his in Sacramento.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are they hostile to the name, or the concept? I've met a few who were okay with the idea of a "civil union", as long as it wasn't called marriage.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#12]

The senator said those votes reflected the way constituents in his district wanted him to vote.

So shouldn't the headline instead read "Senator actually represents his constituents"?  I think that's more shocking than someone being gay.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you guys know how gay guys do it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Gay.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]

So he's a wide stance sitter...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The senator said those votes reflected the way constituents in his district wanted him to vote.

So shouldn't the headline instead read "Senator actually represents his constituents"?  I think that's more shocking than someone being gay.

No shit. When a senator finally does his job he gets his balls busted for it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Falls under the same liberal notions that you can't be black, asian, a woman, etc. and be a conservative or a Republican. If you're gay you must be a liberal democrat and if you're not, embarrass you as a hypocrite, sellout until you finally quit or "see the light".
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they hostile to the name, or the concept? I've met a few who were okay with the idea of a "civil union", as long as it wasn't called marriage.

They are hostile to gay marriage as marriage. Some of them (most, in fact) are monogamous. Ironically, their view is much like that of the most implacable opponents of gay marriage: "Marriage is the union of a man and a woman," which is something I have a hard time grasping, despite my conservatism and Christianity.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The DUI thing is the only newsworthy event (to me, anyway). The reason the gay thing is coming up, is because Republicans keep making such a big deal out of all things gay. If they'd stop with that nonsense, there's be no opportunity to gleefully point out hypocrisy.

Here's a guy that was actually listening to what his voters wanted even when it went against his personal life. What's better, a Republican who agrees with you, but votes the opposite, or a Republican who disagrees with you, but votes the way you want him to, because he considers that his duty?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a guy that was actually listening to what his voters wanted even when it went against his personal life. What's better, a Republican who agrees with you, but votes the opposite, or a Republican who disagrees with you, but votes the way you want him to, because he considers that his duty?

I'm not buying his "I did it for my constituents" story, especially since I grew up in the Central Valley. It seems easier to believe that he simply didn't want anyone to know he was gay.

Only he knows for sure, but suffice it to say that I ain't buyin' it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are hostile to gay marriage as marriage. Some of them (most, in fact) are monogamous. Ironically, their view is much like that of the most implacable opponents of gay marriage: "Marriage is the union of a man and a woman," which is something I have a hard time grasping, despite my conservatism and Christianity.
I still don't understand. Are they opposed to the idea of attaining the same legal rights as married couples with equal ease and calling it a civil union?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not buying his "I did it for my constituents" story, especially since I grew up in the Central Valley. It seems easier to believe that he simply didn't want anyone to know he was gay.

Only he knows for sure, but suffice it to say that I ain't buyin' it.

I suspect you're right.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#23]
What the heck does being a homosexual have to do with DUI? Was the bloke DUI/DWI, is all that matter. Just that he happens to be gay is irrelevant to the reason why he got busted.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#24]
California.

I'm so surprised.

Now, the fuck's that got to do with driving drunk?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#25]
What is this!? Is this the new race baiting? Can someone walk me through this?
So if I want to get out of a DUI/public intoxication, all I have to do is mention the term "Yellow Fever" in reference to myself to get off?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Driving erratically?

Dumbass should have used the race card.  

Tell the cop you're Asian.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don't understand. Are they opposed to the idea of attaining the same legal rights as married couples with equal ease and calling it a civil union?

To quote a much-beloved friend of the family, "I have far too much respect for the institution of marriage to ever call what Jack and I had 'marriage,' although we loved each other very much." The people I have in mind would likely support "civil unions."
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]
CHP Cop: "Uhhh... senator?  That's not the breatherlyzer you are blowing..."

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
CHP Cop: "Uhhh... senator?  That's not the breatherlyzer you are blowing..."  

...You'll know when you're finished, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top