Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 5:58:55 AM EDT
I am looking at buying a used truck, a 2001 Chevy 1 Ton Crew Cab Dually w/ the 8.1 Liter Engine and Allison Tranny.  The truck I am looking at has California Emissions, and since I live in Michigan, I don’t have a clue as to what that really means other than I guess it is a little cleaner.  Are there any issues that we don’t think about here ie extra Maintenance due to what I guess must be extra smog control equipment?  I figured I would run it past you guys here as I don’t read any car forums and figure someone here will have a comment or two.

THANKS!

Eric
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I live in Cal but am not sure what differant equipement our cars have, I am sure it is nothing major that you have to worry about affecting performance and such.  I know our gas is formulated differantly and I thing most smog is affected that way.  If I were you I would just leave it alone.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks SGatr15

I did not know you lived in CA.  Sorry about that!  

Echap
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Call a Chevy service department and ask if it is a "49 state" truck or a "50 state" truck.

If it is a 49 state truck then you can count on it having a different black box, different cams, perhaps a different intake, smaller valves, lower compression, smaller injectors, revised timing, smaller diameter exhaust pipes

If you were buying a motorcycle I would tell you to walk away from it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I drive a 1989 Toyota 4WD that has the "California package" and AFAIK it's just an air pump.

This year I had to have my truck emmission tested and it once again passed with FLYING COLORS. Surprisingly, it flunked because of the GAS CAP.

This passes so easily here in AZ that I've got a LONG WAY TO GO before it'll flunk. So I guess I'm saying that the CA package MUST make them run cleaner or the emmissions are cleaner.

My results were:
HYDROCARBONS:   My truck: 0.62  APPLICABLE STANDARD: 3.00
CARBON MONOXIDE  My truck: 8.65   APPLICABLE STANDARD: 25.00
OXIDES OF NITROGEN: My truck: 0.81  APPLICABLE STANDARD: 4.50

And my truck has 193K miles on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top