Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 5:56:40 AM EDT
man, they don't quit over there.
These companies need to band together, and completely stop selling all guns in CA!! Dont even sell to police.
Add the Ammo companies into it too, cause they will be next!
c-rock

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010814/pl/guns_liability_dc_1.html
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A California lawmaker unveiled legislation on Tuesday that would strip gun manufacturers of protection from legal liability for crimes committed with their weapons.

Just days after California's Supreme Court threw out a liability suit brought by survivors of a horrific 1993 San Francisco office massacre, Sen. Don Perata announced he was moving to repeal the state law upon which the court based its decision.

``I believe all firearms should be held to the same standard of other comparable products that have a dangerous use or dangerous potential for the consumer,'' Perata, Democrat of Alameda, said on Tuesday.

In a decision widely seen as a major defeat for the gun control movement, the state Supreme Court decided on Aug. 6 that Miami-based Navegar Inc. could not be sued over the 1993 attack in which a gunman wielding a Navegar-made TEC-DC9 military assault pistol killed eight people in a San Francisco office building.

The justices, while expressing horror over the 1993 attack, said the state Legislature had effectively exempted the gun industry from liability and negligence lawsuits in a 1983 statute, and voted 5-1 to dismiss the case.

The sole dissenting judge, Justice Kathryn Werdegar, issued a stinging rebuttal of the majority opinion and called on the legislature to act to close the legal loophole.

``Until such action is taken, gunmakers, including makers of assault weapons banned in California, will apparently enjoy absolute impunity from the consequences of their negligent marketing decisions,'' Werdegar said.

Perata's bill, SB 682, is intended to do just that by removing the special exemptions for the gun industry that the legislature put in place in 1983.

``We are not asking to have gun manufacturers held to lower standard, or a higher standard, but only the same standard (as other manufacturers),'' Perata said.

He said his bill was intended to go after manufacturers like Navegar, which he accused of marketing its TEC-DC9 pistol expressly to appeal to criminals and potential criminals ''looking for ways to literally get away with murder.''

``I think there will be strong support in the legislature in the next two or three weeks to pass this law,'' Perata said.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The f'king Calif. legislators are just plain stupid.  The state's 3 biggest electrical utitlities are saddled with Billions$ of debt, and they are going after gun manufacturers?  Gun control must be very important to these people, even Calif. is sliding into a reccession. These morons brought us our energy problem and they can't even solve that, and they are going to regulate guns.  Of course the news media is not coming down too hard on these idiots.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]

I mean Kalifornia simply $uck$, I mean they really $uck the big one.  That State just has to be the most miserable, wretched State in the Union.  I mean that State is only useful for military bomber and artillery practice (and as a site for Governmental testing of nuclear weapons).  Anybody who lives in that State by choice (except the military who are stationed there without any choice) has go to be doing some serious Vallium.  What a horrible part of an otherwise great nation.  I'd rather have Cuba or North Korea be part of our Nation then Kalifornia.

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
A desperate gasp by antis who just lost a significant court case.

Norm
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
when will kali finally sink....
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]
c-rock, that is an interesting point.  What if all the gun and ammunition companies quit selling any of their products to anyone private, corperate, or government.  It would put the state in an interesting position I think.  Lets see how those dumbass politicians like it when the cops dont have bullets for their guns but the criminals still are loaded with guns and ammo.  How about a SWAT team with no ammo. "OK, boys who brought the bows and arrows!" How can they pass legislation to hold the gun companies liable for the illegal use of their product?  That would be like it is Detroits fault for every car accident because they build car there!  A good quake on the San Andreas fault sure would be nice!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  KALIFORNIA $UCKS!! KALIFORNIA $SUCKS!!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Gee! A law like that was actually proposed in Kalifornia? I'm shocked! ;-{0
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Sitting Bull, tell us how you really feel, stop holding back like that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Perata is an ass.

If you ever meet him, ask to see his carry permit. He's one of those f**ks who believes in "Do as I say, not as I do".

Guns for the masses are bad. Guns for the elite are good. You get the picture. He has been one of the more vocal proponents of gun control around here.

Sore losers, that's all. Gotta vote these turds out of office.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep voting against that shmuck but he keeps winnin....

I guess its time to call his office again...

I want this fucker to hold CRIMINALS responsible and I am going to tell him so. I believe he is on the commitee for hand gun licencing  too.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
They had Perata on a local radio station today trying to explain his bill.  The guy sounded like a frickin moron that made no sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top